• Tweets

• The Letter of Claim information is not absolutely essential, but it would be useful for two reasons. Firstly, judges take a dim view of companies or individuals who rush to court without giving the other party notice and a chance to settle - the Letter of Claim.  If they didn't send it we could include this point in your defence and it would be detrimental to them. Secondly, we know Countrywide.  They are a very small cowboy company.  The are reluctant to do court, simply becasue they are very bad  at it.  Their record of beating Caggers in front of a judge is exactly 0%.  They have lost every time.  They send the Letter of Claim also to look for people who don't reply, thinking that the person might not reply to a claim form either, giving them an easy default win.  Conclusion - always best to reply to a Letter of Claim and ridicule the PPC's case.
    • Any update here? I ask as we have someone in a similar situation.
    • Thanks!  I already sent the acknowledgement as i panicked and thought today was the last day to respond.  Then i remembered this wonderful forum.  I'll follow the steps in the sticky next.
    • It's possible.  I suffer from ADHD and also anxiety and depression currently and struggle with paperwork.  I'll have a search around to see if i can find anything.  If they did send something I haven't replied.  I thought there's no way that they will pursue this because I know for a fact i didn't park in a private space and the evidence they have sent is so ridiculous.  What impact does this other paperwork have?
    • The particulars of claim doesn’t mention statement of accounts.  Should I include that in the cpr letter?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Charges on closed account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could someone give me a bit advice please.

Closed account with A&L which they advised I owed a sum of money. This was made up almost entirely of illegal charges... 3 in one day twice.

After totting up the charges, I calculated I acually owed them less than £5. Sent letter stating loosley based on the LBA stating Consumer regs etc enclosing a cheque & stating " I calculate that £xx is owed to you and enclose a cheque to this value in full and final settlement."

Reply received basically ignoring the content of my letter giving all sorts of blurb about keeping in credit & checking balance etc howver the account is closed !!!!! They then went on to say that they are unable to help further and cannot offer a refund. No mention of my cheque.

This morning I get another letter frim their Debt Recovery Division referring to my payment received in respect of my former A&L account.

They state that the account is being dealt with Tessera Credit Services and I should contact them to arrange future payments - No address or telephone number mind !!!

As A&L have now cashed my cheque which I stated was in full & final settlement, do they have a case to persue. How should I phrase my reply ?

Any assistance will be gratefully received

Thanks

Trojan

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

Guest NATTIE

I think you should write to the Tessara Credit Services that the debt is in dispute and start the process of claiming charges back from A&L

The law on this is relatively simple. For it to be full and final settlement both sides have to accept it as full and final.

There is a presumption that the settlement is full and final unless the other side informs you that it isn't before you've had time to conclude that it is.

There isn't a fixed period for this but case law indicates that a response saying it's not being accepted that is sent within a few days is a valid response and full and final settlement has not been reached, but one that is sent a few weeks later is too late and the settlement is full and final. It depends on the facts of the case so make sure you keep all correspondence.

In other words you need to wait and see what they do next. The longer they're quiet the better it is for you.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

Thanks for responses so far.

Sent initial letter enclosing cheque 26/2. Reply received 7/3 but no mention of receipt of my cheque nor that they did not accept my "full and final settlement". Now receved letter this morning stating futyre corres to be with Tessera. My cheque was cashed after I received their reply of the 9th.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

However they have not stated that so I am tempted to reply restating what I said in my initial letter to them restating the facts regarding penalty charges etc

Do you agree, if so what's the best way to word it ?

My thinking is that if you want to stand by your f&f offer you don't want to do anything other than for the moment maintain that the account is closed and the matter is dealt with. If you start trying to reclaim charges you're acknowledging that the debt still exists.

If your ultimate goal is to extinguish the debt on that account I'd still be tempted to wait and see if Tessera gets in touch and go from there. You've then got two ways to tackle them - the standard reclamation of charges to reduce the balance, alternatively the claim that A&L accepted your f&f settlement. More strings to your bow, if you get what I mean.

Do you have any other accounts with A&L?

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

Thanks Advoc8,

No I don't have any other accounts with them. The charges effectively made up the debt so my thinking is that A&L should write them off then the matter will be closed and account cleared.

If the account was still open I would be doing the usual process to get the charges paid back into my account.

• 5 months later...

Well I thought this had died a death but lo & behold a "nice" letter was received Thursday from a DCA called Equidebt Ltd based in Warwickshire. Had no correspondence from A&L, Tessera or anyone since the letter mentioned above on 15/3/2007.

Usual blurb stating payment in full by 24/8/2007 ( Letter date 14/8/07 ).

Could someone advise best course of action ? No point in CCA as I know the make up of the figure. Do I just write back and refer them to previous correspondence.

Advoc8 - Regarding your reply above, I would think that there has now been sufficient time delay that my initial "full & final settlement" offer should be accepted by default. Could I ask your opinion please.

Thanks in anticipation.

These 2 DCAs are not part of the A & L in-house brigade.... suggesting that this one might have been sold on.

You could write back to Equidebt (rec. delivery) and say something like....

I do not acknowledge any debt to your company.

A F & F settlement was accepted by A & L on xx/xx/2007. Any further queries should therefore be directed to "your client".

Thanks P1,

I'll get a letter off first thing Monday.

These lot have also tried to ring but will completely ignore them as I do not wish to discuss over phone.

Referring to the above but slightly off track, I've received a standard letter from A&L regarding penalty charges and the recent court case by the banks.

They state that they were not part of the group action however are awaiting the final outcome. Meantime they have asked the FOS the suspend the timescales that they are commited to in dealing with "complaints" of this nature.

In viewe of this I will be sendinf dear old Equidebt a "sod off" letter.

Basically have resonded to them as per P1 and will await their response. if they still insist I'll advise that "complaint" is ongoing.

PS- They rang me yesterday but would not speak to them even though they wanted to talk about "the alledged debt.

We'll wait and see.