mariejader v Abbey **DEFENCE STRUCK OUT!**WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok I don't have any info on my account details with Abbey only a card which does not show account number.

So I went into the branch on Saturday and requested this information and then promply put it into my DPA letter, the branch refused to take the letter and said I had to send it off but could not tell me where but gave me a telephone number

Today I call the number and have been told I need to sign a "form" reference data protection, I asked why as no one else seems to have been done and have been advised Abbey call it a subject request form, they also asked why I wanted 6 yrs worth of statements so I explained I want to see my bank charges, I have to say they girl did not have a clue what I was upto which surprised me! she was very nice and really helpfull though

Apparently her manager is going to call me later! WHY :lol:

So two questions here

1. Has anyone else been asked to complete the form?

2. What should I say when he calls me "legally thinking now"!

Think I may just post my letter anyhow to the address on here

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The manager called me today and asked why I wanted the information, so I just said I wish to know my bank charges for the last six years, no more and no less, he was really nice and said it was probably best I send the letter rather than wait for the form but also I should enclose a chq for £10 with my initial letter which I have now done, hopefully this will speed up the process.

The chq had to be made payable to: Abbey National Plc Access Enquiry

I was advised to send it to:-

Data Protection Manager

Data Protection Team

Regulatory Compliance

Abbey House

201 Graftons Gate East

Milton Keynes

MK9 1AN

Hopefully this may help others

I will keep you posted

Reply received today from Abbey:

Thank you for your letter received here 16th March. I note that you are requesting a complete list of transactions and charges on the above account since Jan 2000 as well as details about any manual intervention that may have taken place in relation to your account.

As you are asking for specific information, Abbey will deal with your request as a general enquiry whithout you having to make a request under the data protection act. I have therefore forwarded your letter onto our Complaints Dept and they will contact you in due course. The information will be forwarded to you shortly and free of charge therefore, I duly return the £10 cheque enclosed with your leter.

I trust this meets with your requirements.

Yours sincerly

Sheena Small

Data Protection Consultant

Data Protection Team

Right I am so confused now I need help before I do the wrong thing

In the library the letter for requesting money it reads:-

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX

I thougth we could not claim interst or am I getting confused with account fee's

So say the bank has taken £100 in charges (dd's excess borrowing etc) what do I put in the plus xxx is this the interest or is the 8% which is what I thought it was originally, but if that is the case they have not charged me the 8% so the wording can't be right.

So where does the 8% come into.

And I have read the FAQ's and thought I understood them

I know I am not the only one who has been advised by Ms Small that statements were on Microfiche, I am still waiting for my copies and I am now wondering if anyone has received any Microfiche statements from Abbey?

nothing that I can really remember to be honest, I did not really want to get into conversation with her, but she was telling me that the DPA letters everyone is sending in are incorrect! as I don't know enough about the law I thought it was best just to say yes and no rather than put my size 9's in and shoot myself in the foot.

Ok just spoken to Sheena Small, this is what she said

1. All microfiche details are held at Bradford

2. They cannot provide computer printout's of accounts

3. They only hold information on their systems for 12- 18 months

4. The information stores on Microfiche is not easy to pull it has to be done manually

5. New Microfiches of accounts are done every 2 months

6. Stored in example say Alpha 0-5000

Basically above is the answers to my questions, I questioned her on number 2 and said why have other people received printouts she said the films will look like print outs.

I asked what if I had a tax inspection and needed this information to which she replied we would have a court order and 21 days to provide the information.

I asked why are they the only bank operating this microfiche system, she said they have so many customers their system won't hold all that information, I said well it's funny how all the other banks can do it.

And last but not least the best line of all, when I said I don't think it's good enough as I have contacted other banks and have received all the information and I thought they were being difficult she said "WE ARE NOT AVOIDING THE SITUATION WE ARE ORGANISING IT"

I am waiting for her to call me back now as she has gone to call Bradford to find out how they are getting on with my request, I will post again once she rings me back, I won't hold my breath

As some banks are now starting to pay out, I am wondering what impact this is going to have on the rest of us with our claims.

I can see this either going two ways, it will make it easier for the rest of us or will the banks start getting cleaver and close the doors to the rest of us.

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

It's just they seem to be creating loads of diversions, Abbey I know are making life difficult, I guess they are doing this with the hope we will give up and won't take them to court.

With all the claims going through I am sure the courts are going to start getting very busy.

I did get a call back from Sheena Small today, she has assured me that my case was one of the first they recieved, not sure how she works this out but has confirmed that the details are being collected and I should be in receipt early next week.

So anyone who sent for their information before me you should have or are about to receive them any day if not chase them:rolleyes:

Not one has taken it to court - with the exception of Natwest - it's only the courts admin people that get busy with it - and if you consider that (as far as this site is aware) there have still only been 130 odd cases started through the courts

130 cases is far less than I thought:rolleyes:

Hold on- I'm confused!!! Is this thread about Abbey??? If it is, and they're trying to say that everything past a certain date is held on microfiche, then they are simply lying.

I did a DPA request with Abbey at the end of 2005 and received, in good time, a stack of computer printouts (obviously not photocopies of microfiches, or anything like that) going back to the early nineties. Every page is printed on Abbey headed paper and the information is most comprehensive. It probably runs to about 700 pages. I've even got pictures

When I spoke to them they said the microfiche statements will look like computer prints, funny that because I thought microfiche were like negatives that had to be put on a machine and then copied, but the prints were smaller.(showing my age now):rolleyes:

I worked for a large mobile phone company who operated a system of scanning everything when it came into the company or whent out if a customer called in you had copies of all correspondance available to you but putting their account number into a computer system, statements were held on the computer system for a time and then sent to be archived, either way it was easy to obtain any information.

I think Abbey are not telling the whole truth with regards to these statements but how do we prove other wise?

Has anyone contacted teh Information Commisioners office yet regarding Abbey's failure to supply the bank statements as requested?.

I am pretty sure that a few of us will be doing so in the next week or two so it would be good to have some feed back from others

Quite right - but if it's not under DPA they don't have to send them within 40 days.

So how do we stand with the next step then of contacting the comminisoner, I assume we still keep to our time table?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks