can anyone help??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, i am really not sure if anyone can help but here goes,

i moved out of a council house in aug 2001, i received a letter 2 weeks before christmas(2006), stating that i owed the over £400 in rent that i didnt pay and that i could settle the "debt" by paying the full amount immediatly. i phoned the number given on the letter as i paid everything i owed 1 week after the tenancy agreement ended however they have no record of me paying this and as it was so long ago i cannot find the receipt (as i paid cash at the local office.) they are now taking me to court, i have filled the defence form etc in and i am now just waiting for a date. is there any legal "stuff" i should know that will be able to help me?

Thanking you in advance

Emma

Can you get your bank statement that shows the withdrawal of the money?

• Haha 1

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

thanks for your response

unfortuantley not because i used to get paid in cash and saved the money, so i have nothing to back me up.

i didnt know if they could just write to me more than 5yrs later demanding this money, surely if i owed them this i would of heard about it before now?

thanks again

Emma

They have 6 years to claim debts back. But, the fact they have waited so long will be a black mark against them, and the judge will weigh up the evidence. Do you have any witnesses to the payment? Even witnesses who knew you were saving the money would be beneficial.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

No reason why he cant count, although the judge will obviously take into account the POSSIBILITY of bias.