• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

2 weeks from final payment and bailiffs arrive :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Please can I have some advice. Following on from a period of inconsistent work (therefore not able to claim assistance with council tax) I fell beind with my payments, however, since I have been receiving regular income I have been paying weekly to get the arrears paid up.

With just £195 left to pay which I could have done in two weeks, I returned home to find a letter today to say that a bailiff had been to my house.

In summary, it states to phone a mobile number immediately to discuss. It also says that the amount due is £279.20 including the fee of £22.50 for todays visit. However, if I pay te full amount when they next visit, the amount due will be £234.20.

What would you suggest I do from here?

I could just about pay the full amount by the end of the week (£195), which I could do online.

Do i just do that, or do I need to contact the bailiffs in question (Bristow & Sutor)?

I am nervous in dealing with them having read through the posts on here and would rather not (AND save £40 in the process!!).

Sorry to be a wuss! lol

Who have you been dealing with in regards to the outstanding amount?

Was it the council?

Or the bailiff company?

Are you behind on your agreed payments?

If you have an arangement with the council or the baliff company and have paid and are up to date with the account then there should be no need for the bailiff to visit your house and charge more.

If you are in contact with the council pay the coucil direct, thus annoying the bailiff who took this as they cannot claim for payment that you made direct.

You could make the payment today online.

It has happened to myself I had an arangement to pay on the 31st of each month and settled on the 2nd payment.

Supposedly the bailiff came round my house on the 31st. The day i had until to make a payment and thus incurring other charges. I sent a cheque off to the bailiff in question which was cashed 5 days later. They then sent around another bailiff and tried to charge me an extra £300 when the account was actually closed.

After one written letter the account was closed. No further payment needed.

My respect to people who post regularly and help people out on here. Without your help alot of wrongs would have been committed.

Guest MizzPiggy

Hi,

If the Bailiff has already visited the charge has been incurred. Even if you pay the council, the debt will still be owed for the fees and have to be paid.

I empathise with you and can understand it appears a little harsh and unfair, which I am sure if you contact the Bailiff, which is important, if you don't they will add more fees believing you to be avoiding the debt, and explain to the Bailiff, that you have the money, however you believed you only had to pay the £195 and need to pay the rest a week or so later, I am sure they will be reasonable.

If not, and the Bailiff will not accept this, then telephone the council, explain the situation that you tried to negotiate with the Bailiff under the circumstances and ask them to contact the Bailiff Company, allow you to pay the £195 and the Bailiff fees you will remedy - give them a time frame.

I think you are being more than reasonable, in offering the larger sum first and Bailiffs are not all unreasonable to deal with, neither are the councils if you show intent to pay.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just need a little more info on this.

In july 07 my council wrote that they were taking me to court for 07/08 council tax. I arranged to pay by DD and they accepted this, made an extra payment of 100 pounds online, but still they went to court.

Changed payment method then got phone call from bailiff, told them I was dealing with council and only council. I only ever got phone calls and one letter from bailiff.

In January I cleared the debt, but just received a hand delivered letter from bailiff stating he is returning on thursday 6/3/08 with van. Rang bailiff and they told me 190.50 of this was fees. Rang council who told me money I had paid have gone to other years ( which have been paid and forgotten about).

I ahve not signed anything yet his letter tells me he "will remove goods even in my absence" etc with a final paragraph saying " THE BAILIFFS DECISION IS FINAL"

So can he turn up?

SB. Pay the council in full and the Liability Order is satisfied and all enforcement action by the bailiff must stop. You will still owe the bailiff his fees, but they will have to attempt to chase you through the courts which is unlikely.

Casbah. This is the usual scare tactics by the bailiffs. If they have not previously gained peaceful entry to your home, they cannot force entry. Make sure you keep all windows and doors locked and do not open your door to the bailiff. I'm not sure from your post, but are you saying that you no longer owe the council any money? If you dont, then your Liability Order is satisfied and the bailiff can't do anything.

Hi Robin

Yes all the outstanding council tax has been paid ( it was for the 07/08 yr).

I am almost certain that I have overpaid, but the council do not keep their books very well and have allocated money elsewhere?

I can prove payments have been made as I paid by standing order.

In which case, the Liability Order is ended and the bailiff can do nothing. His fees (which are probably wrong, £190 seems way too high) can no longer be enforced under the Liability Order and they would have to take you to court to try and prove you owe it, but its unlikely they would.

Write to the council, with proof of your standing order payments and insist that they provide you with your account details.

I'd like to add this,

The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

Distress

45.—(3) If, before any goods are seized, the appropriate amount (including charges arising up to the time of the payment or tender) is paid or tendered to the authority, the authority shall accept the amount and the levy shall not be proceeded with.

So unless they can prove that you owe them a lawful fee and they must prove it, they aren't entitled to one solitary sous.

I'd send them a letter that looks something like this:

**** January 2008

Re: ********* Client reference *********

Please understand that I am fully aware of my rights and you will not

gain entry to my home under any circumstances to levy goods

I know the fees allowed under statute and when these fees can be applied.

Dear Sir/madam,

This account is in dispute because your charges are wrong; I expect NO FURTHER ACTION to be taken until this situation is resolved and I expect you to provide a full breakdown of costs, including what the fee consists of (showing appropriate receipts if applicable), when they visited, the name of the certified bailiff and the court at which he was certified.

If I do not receive the information that I have asked for within 14 days I will report the matter to both the court which issued the liability order and the local government ombudsman.

I have not refused to pay the Council Tax arrears.

I have not refused to pay reasonable fees that you are legally entitled to.

I am sending a copy of this letter to ******* Council

Yours faithfully,

email it to everyone, back it up with a hard copy by recorded delivery, and you will start to take control of the situation.

A letter MUST be sent immediately by e-mail and registered mail to say that you have received a letter and that this "purports" to be giving the impression that the bailiff is "attending to remove" items from your home. Remind them that at NO TIME has a bailiff entered your home, completed a Walking Possession or levied upon any goods. For this reason you require an immediate apology for this threatening letter and confirmation also that your account is clear.

Whilst writing, you should ask now ask for a full and detailed breakdown of the fees and charges that have been applied to your account as you believe that you have overpaid your account.