Enough Is Enough - Settled In Full!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mariana,

Your husband's Regimental Administrative Officer should be able to provide some one-to-one debt councilling! If he's below the rank of Sergeant and he doesn't end up bankcrupt; there should be no major implications about future promotions.

There are options available to your husband, with regard to his pay, that civilians don't have.

(I'm guessing you're a 'pad's wife'; since you live in Salisbury and he comes home for lunch).

Also, check all his paystatements carefully. Pay errors are common with army pay; due to their complexity; ensure you understand and check his LSSA, LSSA rate and accumulated LSSA (you don't want to miss a one-thousand-pound bonus).

Check his increment level is correct also.

Soldiers are also rubbish at claiming allowances and travel expenses. If he's been away on any courses over the past two years; make sure he's been reimbursed.

Data Protection Act sent to Barclays Bank 15 May 06.

Bank statements received 9 May 06. Owed £610 in charges and £31.96 in interest.

Prelim letter sent 15 Jun 06.

Letter Before Action sent 26 Jun 06.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are doing everything correctly. By the time you come to make your claim, you should have enough information/responses to amend the claim to the correct amount. Missing statements, the £200, interest, it is important that the claim reflect your actual losses on the day it is raised.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Mariana,

Your husband's Regimental Administrative Officer should be able to provide some one-to-one debt councilling! If he's below the rank of Sergeant and he doesn't end up bankcrupt; there should be no major implications about future promotions.

There are options available to your husband, with regard to his pay, that civilians don't have.

(I'm guessing you're a 'pad's wife'; since you live in Salisbury and he comes home for lunch).

Also, check all his paystatements carefully. Pay errors are common with army pay; due to their complexity; ensure you understand and check his LSSA, LSSA rate and accumulated LSSA (you don't want to miss a one-thousand-pound bonus).

Check his increment level is correct also.

Soldiers are also rubbish at claiming allowances and travel expenses. If he's been away on any courses over the past two years; make sure he's been reimbursed.

Hi Tosh - wow - are you psychic? Everything you have mentioned is spoton. I do manage to get hold of his paystatements - usually unopened in his bedside draw! I have sent him on a mission this week to make sure all the items you have mentioned are checked. He is also owed £175 as study pay! I pester him everyday about this.

Thanks for the good advise - why so knowledgable? A case of been there, done that?

You are doing everything correctly. By the time you come to make your claim, you should have enough information/responses to amend the claim to the correct amount. Missing statements, the £200, interest, it is important that the claim reflect your actual losses on the day it is raised.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Thanks Spiceskull. Your comments noted. Will keep you informed.

Hi Tosh - wow - are you psychic? Everything you have mentioned is spoton. I do manage to get hold of his paystatements - usually unopened in his bedside draw! I have sent him on a mission this week to make sure all the items you have mentioned are checked. He is also owed £175 as study pay! I pester him everyday about this.

Thanks for the good advise - why so knowledgable? A case of been there, done that?

I used to be a Warrant Officer in the AGC(SPS). I was the FSA - Financial Systems Administrator; responsible for the pay and allowances of 500 or so soldiers and officers; I was basically a battalion or regiments pay-roll manager.

Although not formally trained, I've have had to deal with many soldiers who've gotten themselves in the poo; debt-wise.

Ironic really; when I'm in the poo myself.

Anyway, if things get really tough; get your hubby in to see the RAO. No-one need know about it; but he has options that civillians don't.

Thanks for the info Tosh. Yes, my husband had all those issues checked and all are fine. LSSA will kick in next year when they deploy on another operational tour. As you know LSSA only starts accumulating as soon as they have been away for more than 10 days. Funny that they always manage to finish on the 9th day of an exercise...

Anyways, I am really starting to get paranoid now. I have telephoned Halifax today for a progress report on this matter. I was told that: "As my collegue told you on Tuesday (!!!!), your request will be dealt with as soon as." Was told that all requests are being handled on a first come first serve basis. I then pointed out to him that my husband's request was sent in the same day and he received his statements last week! I then asked him when I can expect to receive my cheque for £200, the refund they offered, and was told that if I do not accept it on their terms, no refund will be made. They are willing to up their offer to £400 but no more. I then confirmed to him that I will be proceeding with court action....

In the meantime, I am receiving about 3 - 4 telephone calls from Halifax everyday, presumably wanting to arrange a payment plan for my overdraft. The annoying thing is, that everytime I answer the call, it cuts out .... So Frustrating!

Starting to feel very intimidated by HALIFAX!!!!

Regarding the telephone calls - you need to write to them, expressly forbidding that they contact you by phone. If you make a request that their correspondence is by post only, they will need to comply.

If you search the forums, you will find various mentions of the Wireless and Telegraphy Act 1947 - one of these posts goes into great detail about this, as it amounts to harrassment.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

In the meantime, I am receiving about 3 - 4 telephone calls from Halifax everyday, presumably wanting to arrange a payment plan for my overdraft. The annoying thing is, that everytime I answer the call, it cuts out .... So Frustrating!

Starting to feel very intimidated by HALIFAX!!!!

:) Mariana, how do you know that the calls are from Halifax when the phone cuts out? Do you get their number by dialling 1471?

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

:) Mariana, how do you know that the calls are from Halifax when the phone cuts out? Do you get their number by dialling 1471?

Hi Mechs

I did speak to them earlier this week and recognise the number that shows on my mobile. When I try to ring back it only states that "one of our representitives have tried to contact you earlier. We will try another time."

I will read through forums and will sent letter this weekend.

Regarding the telephone calls - you need to write to them, expressly forbidding that they contact you by phone. If you make a request that their correspondence is by post only, they will need to comply.

If you search the forums, you will find various mentions of the Wireless and Telegraphy Act 1947 - one of these posts goes into great detail about this, as it amounts to harrassment.

Thanks Spiceskull - will do.

Have a look at this on the OfCom site: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/03/nr_20060301

I intend to ask all callers whose calls start off as silent calls for their company name and then hang up. I will log their call date and time and write to the company informing them that in future I will not stay on the line to wait for the call to be connected to an operator. If they wish to phone me they will have to do so by getting the agent to dial the number themselves when they are free to make the call. I've worked in the call centre systems industry and I know exactly how these things work.

Silent calls are nuisance calls and should be reported as such to OfCom. Let them know the dates and times and the company involved. You can also report it to your telephone company.

There are also a number of other regulations concerned with harrassment that are worth looking at.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

if you are with bt you can actually register to stop companys making these phone calls, its free and you just dial a couple of numbers.........one problem is it takes up to 3 months for the calls to stop secondly you have to remember to dial the numbers each year to block these calls

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Another good tactic when dealing with unwanted calls is to say that you're not the person they're after.

Tell the unwanted caller that you'll go and get the person in question.

Put the phone down, then go and watch some TV, do some gardening; cooking; whatever.

I've had an MBNA 'thug' on the phone for approximately 12 minutes once, before he hung-up.

Try it; it's fun!

Hi all

Will be posting the following letter to Halifax today ...

I am writing to express my serious concerns regarding the amount and frequency of phone calls I have been receiving from Halifax. Each time I answer the phone call, there is a pause and then it cuts out, to great annoyance and irritability by me.

My account is over its limit, and is mostly due to your excessive charges over previous years which have caused a snowball effect and have resulted in this situation today. I have put Halifax on notice of my intention to take court action to recoup these unlawful charges and am confident that this matter will be resolved within the next few months.

In the meantime, I am not in the position to repay my overdraft at present, and I request that an agreement with Halifax to pay £50.00 a month, as advised by Citizens Advice Bureau, be put in place.

I also request that ALL charges incurred on this account since May 2006 be removed instantly from this account. If not, I am and will pursue this matter further for a FULL reimbursement of these unlawful charges.

I have listed the following cheques which, due to necessity, have been written, as follows:-

Cheque no Amount

XXX XXXXX

I will set up a standing order to pay £50.00 by the 4th day of each month. I expect that you cancel all direct debit and standing order mandates on this account, and to cease with ALL account charges, as these will be claimed back from Halifax. However, I do accept that interest is payable on the outstanding amount.

Please note that I do not want to be contacted by telephone at all, and all communications should be made in writing.

Previously, I requested that my telephone call with one of your members of staff be confirmed in writing, given the serious nature of this matter. However, I was informed that as a rule you do not confirm telephone calls in writing, even if an agreement has been made. I find this highly unprofessional and incompetent to find that a large banking institution, like Halifax, can proceed carte blanche.

I demand the phone calls stop immediately. I have enquired about the legalities of your actions, which can be classed at harassment, and I am familiar with the terms of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act, Protection from Harassment Act 1970, Article 8 of the Human Right Act 1990 and the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949. Halifax’s behaviour is in breach of all of these.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Already received 2 phone calls again this morning. Same thing - cuts out as soon as I answer!! Hopefully this will do the trick .......

PS: Still no statements for my account....

That's a good letter - very to the point. Well done and good luck.

• Confused 1

I AM FUMING MAD!!!!!!!!:-x

Right, the story in a nutshell .....

I have a HALIFAX personal loan - which comes directly out of my HALIFAX current account. I have opened a Natwest Step account, and both our salaries have gone in there today. I have not informed HALIFAX (Personal Loan Dept) of the change and telephoned them today to 1) make a payment which becomes due tomorrow, and 2) to set up a new direct debit instruction.

Now, do not fall off your chairs of laughter becuase of the next policy from HALIFAX ....

I was told today by HALFIAX (including managers in customer service AND collections department) that because my account in not in arrears they are unable to take a card payment over the phone!!!!!!! In order to pay the balance due tomorrow, I have to visit a Halifax branch. I explained that I am unable to do that and by adopting this policy they are in effect FORCING me to go into arrears and incur a late payment charge. They can only accept a card payment once the account is in arrears!!!!! HOW ABSURD!!!

I asked why that is, and they said, well, once the account is in arrears, we want our money back. I said, BUT I AM OFFERING YOU MONEY TODAY, A DAY IN ADVANCE OF THE PAYMENT DUE!!!!!!, and you don't want it!!!!!

Any calming advice will be much welcomed.......!!!!!!:mad::-x:mad::-x

I have just read all of your posts and i feel better about taking on the Halifax. I have gone through very similar experiences, BUT NO MORE!! thanks for the help

Hi Jackie! I hope you have "hairs on your teeth" and a good supply of calming aromatherapy ....!!!! Keep us posted.:)

hi,just read your thread(thanks vampiress!)I'm having the same thing with halifax myself,over 20 calls in the last week and when i answer ,nothing!

sent my letters on friday requesting my charges back so we'll see what happens

Good Luck!:)

hi,just read your thread(thanks vampiress!)I'm having the same thing with halifax myself,over 20 calls in the last week and when i answer ,nothing!

sent my letters on friday requesting my charges back so we'll see what happens

Good Luck!:)

Yes, it is very annoying! I received 4 more calls yesterday, did not even bothered to answer it. Hopefully, today, they would have received, scanned and took notice of my letter ....

Good luck!

Update ....

Just been looking at my calender ... and realise that Halifax said they would let me have statements by next week. Have received nothing so far, so I telephoned them today.

Spoke to Rafael and then to Wendy ... both very pleasant, and it was actioned while I was on the phone. Wendy did say it is an overnight response, so statements should be with me in the next couple of days.

Hmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Also, Monday is expiry of the 14-day notice on husband's account - have already drafted the necessary on Moneyclaim for both his and mine. The notice period on my accounts expires on Wednesday.

Can someone help me please!!!

As stated in above, I am preparing to make a claim through MCOL. However, The amount of charges is £4901.00, interest is £335.75 and court cost is £120.00. Therefore my claim is for £5356.75.....

I have read in this forum that your claim should be limited to £5000.00, this figure NOT including interest and cost ... and I right?

It depends if the interest is s.69 8%APR interest or not.

In a nutshell, the £5K limit is everything you are claiming, EXCEPT court fees (£120) and s.69 interest (8%)

Is the £335,75 calculated from the spreadsheet? If so, then your claim is within the limit. Good luck.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks