• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Clearing a CCJ based on charges

conar686
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Before I saw the light side of the force - I received 2 CCJs one from Restons on behalf of HFC and one from Howard & Cohen on behalf of Dorothy perkins.

I now realise that the amounts requested, a proportion of which is based on illegal charging,

Can I get these CCJs removed, if so how do I approach the courts (I'll deal with Restons & HC) and ask them to re-assess the case

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

Tks for the link willow. Drafted the following letter to the Northampton court as a starter for 10 any suggestions or comments welcome

The Courts Manager

St Katherine’s House

21-27 St Katherine’s St

Northampton

NN1 2LH

10 Feb. 07

REFERENCE: Claim Numbers: ****** - Claimant CL Finance & *********– Claimant HFC Bank Ltd

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing with regards to the above judgements that were made against me by the Claimants, for which I have since entered into private arrangements to clear the original debt.

Subsequent to the judgements made against me, new information has come to light regarding the levy of bank & credit card charges; the debt is now in dispute as I believe a portion (even if only 1 charge exists) of the outstanding debt is made up of unlawful charges.

I have issued both organisations with a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998 to ascertain the exact level of charging levied to my accounts with these organisation going back over 6 years.

It is my contention that the debts owed to both companies contained unfair or illegal charges that were disproportionately high and therefore are contrary & in breach of the 1999 Consumer Credit Act (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts)

In addition I believe that any charges applied by the claimants are a penalty; Penalty clauses in contracts in English (and Scottish) law for breach of contract are not legal if the penalty exceeds the actual cost of the breach of either party.

The precedent for this was Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor co Ltd [1915] AC 79.along with Murray v. Leisure play [2005] EWCA Civ 963 It was held that a contractual party can only recover damages for an actual loss or liquidated losses.

It is clear that Bank or credit card charges do not reflect any actual and or real loss and that the judgements made against me were based on the Claimants evidence that contravened the Consumer Regulations Act 1999, as part of the debt was made up of, what I now know to be illegal & punitive charges.

I respectfully request that the above County Court Judgements be cancelled, that you issue me with a Certificate of Cancellation or please explain the circumstances ‘clearly’ as to how I can obtain such a Certificate.

Additionally, I request that you contact Equifax, Experian, Call Credit and any other company that you may have shared my details with and have them remove all data relating to County Court Judgements from my record or as a minimum you inform these organisations that the originating debts are in dispute until we can close the matters above, failure to do so may lead you to be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

Yours Sincerely

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hi Conar, I'm very interested in your thread because I am looking into a similar situation for a friend who was taken to court by Egg.

I gather you will need to complete an N244 form and submit that to the court. I like to think the grounds you've specified for set aside are perfectly valid, but I'm not the Judge! I'm new to this myself so form filling is not YET my thing.

I'm not sure if, once set aside, a re-hearing is automatic or whether the original claimant (or you) has to request it. What I am sure about is that if set aside is allowed you are entitled to submit a full new defence and the claimant has to submit a full new case. It strikes me that tactics could be very important here - depending on what you are trying to achieve. Make sure there are indeed penalty charges on the account and they were included in the original judgement.

This opens up a world of opportunity if got right, so tread carefully my friend. Here's a link:

County Court Claims and County Court Judgments (CCJs) : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Thanx for teh link sport

Been a week no response from Courts Manager - I'll keep the updates coming as stuff happens

MAC

I respectfully request that the above County Court Judgements be cancelled, that you issue me with a Certificate of Cancellation or please explain the circumstances ‘clearly’ as to how I can obtain such a Certificate.

Additionally, I request that you contact Equifax, Experian, Call Credit and any other company that you may have shared my details with and have them remove all data relating to County Court Judgements from my record or as a minimum you inform these organisations that the originating debts are in dispute until we can close the matters above, failure to do so may lead you to be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

Yours Sincerely

The court cant simply cancel an order once made unless an application to set aside or vary is made.

The way you need to move forward on this is to submit an N244 applying for the original order to be set aside on the grounds that the sums claimed contained what you believe to be unlawful charges, and therefore the amount of the order was incorrect.

Additionally the court has no direct contact with the CRA’s and certainly wont take kindly to being told that they will be reported for breaching the DPA.

Once an order is made the court places this on the public register which in turn is published to the CRA’s and the general public via the registry trust.

The courts involvement is to pass order only

Wizzard - appreciate the thoughts also appreciate (now) that I need to ask for these orders to be set a side, however I did ask in my letter for the courts manager to explain the process if cancellation was not possible.

Did not know about CRA references, in this case, if successful I ask them to remove it from the public register - re taking my threat kindly - if I win & they don't do take the appropriate action to clear my name then they will be in breach of the act.

Thanks for the advice on the correct forms - awaiting S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) data from the companies who benefited from the CCJ's before I go down that route.

MAC

Did not know about CRA references, in this case, if successful I ask them to remove it from the public register - re taking my threat kindly - if I win & they don't do take the appropriate action to clear my name then they will be in breach of the act.

If the original order is successfully set aside then the registry trust will update their records accordingly, and the original order will be removed in its entirety.

the court itself is not the data controller and will not be obliged to respond to a DPA request, it is the registry trust who are the registered data controller.

Courts responded as expected I've to get the judgements set aside so need now to wait for my SAR requests to be returned to calculate the extent of teh chgs added to the accounts.

Good one Lantana - I've received the forms from the courts trouble is it costs £65 per so may have to wait a bit

MAC

All

Do I wait for the info to come from my SAr requests or can I get the CCJs set aside 1st & then prove my case l8r

Can I hijack this thread please? The topic is not wholly unrelated. Having received a copy of my credit file I was astounded to learn that I have a CCJ against me. It quotes the court name (Brighton) and case number and shows active. I cannot remember receiving a notification regarding this. How do I find out who placed the CCJ. I assume that I have to write to the court (after finding the address) with the case number but if anyone can confirm this it will be appreciated. I do have a debt (which did of course, include penalty charges) with a firm based in Crawley (which is near to Brighton) and it could be this but my instalments were set up voluntarily.

Joesoap

Best way is to write to the courts manager he should supply you with the paperwork for the case

Still waiting for my SAR results. Judi3 thread purports to ignorance of the law being no excuse. This may be true but I'm going to contest that the amounts on the CCJs I have are based on a false evidence & therefore should be set aside until such a time as I the claimant re-applies with true figures or gives me an option of arranging payment - which I'm doing already albeit through AN iva.

Hope this was useful

MAC

• Haha 1