• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Re: Assignment of debts to DCA's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will have to do some more reading of the Data Protection Act to see where they get this 'right' from, but in any case as they haven't got a copy of the agreement themselves how on earth do they know what rights they have to share my data amongst themselves! I thought the 'right' arises from my consent given in the agreement and only to the extend originally agreed!

I think they have assumed the right... but without CCA, then they have no legal right. If they have the CCA, then they will have bought the contractual agreement, but as you would not have a contractual agreement with a DCA.... no CCA = no debt.

:)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

We would advise you that the purchase of accounts from original creditors also entitles the purchaser to all rights and benefits associated with the account in question. These rights and benefits include the purchaser becoming solely responsible for any defaults registered with the credit reference agencies. Moreover, the guidelines laid down for debt collection permits the transfer of data between two parties concerning the individual whom is liable for the debt or account being purchased. Consequently, divulging personal information in this matter does not contravene the Data Protection Act 1998 which has provisions for this transference.

Regards, Pam

I would be inclined to write to them and say that to the best of your knowledge there has never been any consent given to the original creditor by you to process your data.They should immediately delete any reference about this account on your credit file until such time as they are able to prove otherwise.

I would be inclined to write to them and say that to the best of your knowledge there has never been any consent given to the original creditor by you to process your data.They should immediately delete any reference about this account on your credit file until such time as they are able to prove otherwise.

Hi

Yes I will write something along those lines but I'm waiting until they default and commit a criminal act on the CCA request first (12 days up tomorrow) before hitting them with a nice reply! :D I am not expecting an agreement to be forthcoming as it was made 12 years ago.

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

Guest Alison82

Humm yesterday I called a dca that my topshop card had been sold to, I asked for my stements oing back to when the account was first opened and was told that they would have to request them from the origonal creditor and their was no guaretee that i would get them!! Humm if they debt belongs to them why would they need to request and info of that debt?? What are the chances that they have the origonal agreement or deed of asignment!?

I think I'll casually ask for a copy of that too! :)

Hi,

Ive got a quick question on this - HSBC sold a debt to Metropolitan something or other in 2000 in error, and then I think it was sold on again to a Shakespears... but Ive now got Lowells saying they bought it from HSBC.

HSBC deny this - and have said they wont provide info on the debt to anyone but metropolitan.

Is this correct?

And how can lowell say they're acting on hsbc's behalf when they dont even have the CCA or statements?

Can they do this?

Ta,

Laureli

Hi Laureli and welcome to CAG :)

That is a very interesting question and one that I have not really considered the implications of until your post.

My hubby's debt was also previously sold by B/Card to a different DCA (can't remember which off hand) and then sold on to Lowell.

DCAs buy debts, but do not normally get the credit agreements that go with them from the original creditor. I think this is purely because it would involve a lot of extra work for the creditor who is, after all, losing money by selling these debts to DCAs for a fraction of their true value.

I wonder if it is the case that the original creditor's obligation to send the copy to the DCA on request only applies between them and the first DCA that buys the debt.

It is only with that first DCA that the original creditor had the contract of sale so in your case that would appear to be the reason why HSBC will only send a copy to Metropolitan.

This is quite interesting and I will try to get other opinions on this as it might affect other members' cases.

Also, Lowell cannot claim to be acting 'on behalf' of HSBC if they have bought the debt because that transaction makes them the new creditor in their own right and transfers the original rights under the agreement to them. This is only, of course, if they can produce a copy of that agreement to show that they have any rights or that a debt even exists.

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

'Usually all we need from a client is a copy invoice and this enables us to do the rest. Interest is calculated and added to the debt, when proceedings are issued, and this quite often covers our charges' :mad:

quote above from a debt recovery department! don't remember who but is it really a surprise anymore?

I assume that bcoz these financial institutions are so vast that DCA's and Solicitors alike, take their word for it!

Hi

The transfer of a debt should be accmpanied by a notice of assignment as well as the orriginal agreement I think it is section 189 that says that the body that is persuing the debt takes on the role as the creditor.

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi

I just read laureli's letter i have had experiance with this company send them a cca request the threaten them with action, once they now that you now the score they will back off.

Regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

yet the DCA never provide it (the original agreement), NOT IN MY INSTANCES ANYWAY.

Yes a lot of dca are sending their accounts back when they recieve the request (see the other thread"Loan company cannot.."

Seems we have got them on the run.

Peter

Hi

The issue I would like opinions on is the fact that HSBC have said that they will only send copy agreements to Metropolitan, i.e. the first of the DCAs and the only one that they actually had a contract with.

The point I am getting at is, do subsequent DCAs actually even have the right to request the copy documents from the first creditor where the contract of sale was not made between them and the original creditor?

See what I mean?

Regards, Pam

HI

Yes i do but the proceedur is that the documents should be passed on to the dca along with a notice of assignment and then to the next dca if the dca persuing the debt does not posses them then they cannot legitimately pursue the debt as the debt is not legally assigned to them.

is that OK

Peter

HI

As an addition to the above this only applies when the debt is purchased from the previos"owner"not when the dca is acting on behalf of them.

Peter

Peterbard.......But how do we know whether they have bought or just acting for barclaycard the reason i ask is that Barclaycard sold my account to Robinson Way in 1996 and then they sold it on again 10 yrs later in 2006 to Lowell Portfolio or did Robinson way just act for barclaycard.

Id just like to point out at this point that HSBC have had to go back to metropolitan (the DCA they actually sold my debt to), as they no longer have ANY paperwork for it - my original cca would be ten years old now.

We're awaiting info from Metropolitan to fix the mess that hsbc have made in the first place (the debts actually a mistake).

Apart from that Lowell are actually statute barred on this - a payment was alledgedly made to metropolitan in jan 2001, and then no contact was made since then to now... but thats just to complicated to argue. I was a student at the time, and i owed money to everyone - If i got a letter i called em up and offered pence to get them to leave me alone!

I never realised it was a mistake. Once this is sorted with HSBC I'll be asking for a refund. :)

Anyway - Im not even sure if HSBC knows what its talking about. they reckon they wont speak to lowell but who knows. They dont have the info themselves, so good luck to them I say.

I actually would like them to take me to court. I'll quite happily turn up and grin at them.

in this page (follow the link) it says

A default can only be legally issued ONCE on the same debt. It has a 'life-span'of six years and must come off the credit reference agencies files after this time - this is the law under the Consumer Credit Act.

Where in the CCA does it say this?

Is this only for defaults or any payment history shared.

I have never yet seen proof that this is a law. but am willing to be corrected

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

The copy of agreement has to of the EXECUTED agreement, i.e. the actual one you signed. It does not have to show the signature box but it has to show all other details relevant to your actual transaction i.e. the date of the agreement, the amount of credit and the total charge for the credit (or how it was to be calculated plus the interest rate (applicable at that time).

why does it not have to show the signature? Do you know where this information is available CCA section etc?

thanks I have had a look at the CCA but can't see anything releiving them of needing a signed document.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

Hi Laureli

I think you can quite confidently get on with your life and leave the 3 stooges to squabble amongst themselves! If, as you say, the last payment (and any formal acknowledgement) was about 6 years ago then the debt is statute barred. If not, it looks highly unlikely that an agreement is still in existence. Keep us up to date with developments and good luck! :D

Regards, Pam

got a letter from hsbc and they cant find a CCA = and they said that the debt collection agency (im assuming metropolitan) dont have it either.

so good luck to lowell I guess.

whats more dumbass hsbc cant actually find anything on the managed loan either - and it appears I may have mistakenly paid about 220 pounds on the metropolitan debt before I dont know what happened... but I stopped paying.

Stupid thing is - I shouldnt have paid it. my credit cards were paid off by the managed loan - hsbc had issues with giving me a chair to sit on, its not like they were chucking credit at me. :) I had a lot of debts at the time, and was a naive student. I paid whatever came through the door - or at least offered them something to stop them taking me to court. If id have thought about it- and done some homework I could have avoided all this and not spent any cash.

Im really pee'd off at hsbc as they're not very helpful = ive banked with them for over 20 years - ive never not banked with them, and they set me up on a managed loan and took my credit cards off me. I wasnt even allowed a cheque book or a switch card. and then they carry on charging me for a credit card they wont let me have.

... when this all started I just wanted lowell to go away - now I want hsbc to give me that overpayment back, and some compensation for an incorrect credit reference, and 4 days wasted trying to sort this (and thats only with the bank - thats not including lowell).

Well, some serious letter writing ahead of you now then. Give them strict deadlines to respond to your requests for repayment, compensation etc. and if they don't play ball then take 'em to the cleaners! :D

Keep us posted and we'll try to advise when needed.

Regards, Pam

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Update on Lowell

They have just become 'criminals' again as the 12 working days + 1 month are up today and no copy agreement received.:p

I will wait until Monday and then fire off a suitable 'on your bike' letter.

Regards, Pam