• Tweets

• What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

oppressed but steadfast vs ipswich B.S.

lizvp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Your shout into the dark was heard, and for what it's worth I'll try to help.

1. It was unreasonable of them to ask for the case to be held in Northampton. Looks like you got that sorted, but I would suggest might be worth you remembering for future reference. While not exactly a major player in the mortgage business I imagine, they are in a better position that a litigant in person to have to travel etc.

2. Late bundle, I would suggest puts you at a significant disadvantage, especially given that you are a litigant in person, and they are giving you information that you need time to digest, and possibly get advice on. I can understand you preferring not to delay the case any longer. Having said that, if you do feel you need the time to understand everything you have an excellent reason for adjournment.

3. Liquidated losses. Trickier, so here are some thoughts, bearing in mind I'm not an expert.

A definition:

Liquidated Damages

Present in certain legal contracts, this provision allows for the payment of a specified sum should one of the parties be in breach of contract.

Notes:

This is meant as a fair representation of losses in situations where actual damages are difficult to ascertain. These liquidated damages are meant to be fair rather than punitive

I understand why many if not all of these items are there, but have a problem getting my head round what is actually being said here. I think I probably have more questions than answers, but here goes.

Are they saying that 3% of the total time of their staff is taken up by defaults, or just certain people?

The charge should relate to the actual instances where they have had to charge you as I understand it, so do they specify for each occasion exactly how long each member of staff worked on your specific breach.

Was the matter dealt with manually?

Did a manager look at your specific breach each time, or do they have some systems in place which meant that the member of staff (if there was one) knew how to deal with it so could do it unaided. If so how long did they actually spend on it?

How have they arrived at a figure of 3%? Is this 3% of their total business or just the mortgage section?

Take a look at the accounts here http://www.ibs.co.uk/downloads/Annual_Review_inc_SFS.pdf

Page 4 shows that their admin costs fell by 5,000 in 2005 compared to 2004, yet "Other Income and Charges" increased by 51,000. How much of this was charges, and is the reduction in admin costs reflected in the costs of your breaches in that financial year. Are 2006 accounts available yet, and how does that compare?

How many charges were there?

Which staff have bonuses? I notice the Sales and Marketing Director, and the Finance Director each had 2,000 in 2005. Did any of the staff dealing with your charges have bonuses. If the staff didn't have bonuses, what part did the Directors mentioned play in the collection of your charges?

How much of the profit relates to charges?

Have they provided back up documentation to prove the figures quoted?

When looking at depreciation, are they taking into account all depreciation, or just the depreciation of the items used for raising charges?

Have they provided copies of their accounts for the last 6 years to help you understand their calculations?

Without seeing what they have sent you, I think your best bet is just to question every item, how they have calculated, how that relates to your particular charges.

Keep making the point that you are a litigant in person and not used to dealing with such matters. The judge should make sure that you understand everything, so ask for lots of explanations. They have tried to blind you with accountancy jargon so let them explain it for you. Try and follow what is being said, and if you don't understand, ask. The more they have to explain, in my opinion, the more likely they are to make a mistake for the judge to pick up on. Play on the fact that you got the bundle late, so haven't really had time to fully get to grips with it, but didn't want to delay matters any longer and waste more of the courts time. Say you are surprised they have mentioned staff names and salary due to Data Protection.

I hope this is of some help.

• Haha 1
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

That rather implies then that he is familiar with this site. I wonder if he has obtained permission from Admin as stated in the forum rules. I'll investigate the legal position of him doing this. I know if that is the case he is breaking the law.

And as for limited means. How dare he comment on this! Of course are means are limited compared to financial institutions, and often as a result, at least in part of their actions. What right has he to judge?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This is one angle, but check out every angle of the defence and bundle carefully. The bundle should show what they will be relying on in court. It sounds lacking, and they have messed up in my opinion on this part at least.

It strikes me as very odd that a building society that I have never heard of feels able to show how their charges are made up, when huge multi-nationals have so far taken an enormous amount of care to avoid doing so.

As for encouraging litigation, we urge people to give 28 days to resolve the issues before resorting to court action. Also by keeping claims within the small claims track you are only asking for the money back that was taken unlawfully, plus interest at the courts discretion, and so you are also not asking the bank (or building society) for your own costs or damages for distress, difficulties, compensation etc.

How arrogant is this man? No-one is above the law. Read up your own bundle too, as that will confirm to you why your claim is fair. It'll be much easier if you understand your own claim thoroughly and can be confident in your arguments.

Remember, he is having to defend himself, not you.

I thought you were in Bodmin? The silly part is the chances of you going to court at all are minimal, but at least it gives you more preparation time just in case.

I wonder if you could use this time to good effect, and try and sort it sooner rather than later, which would show the judge your willingness to avoid wasting court time.

Maybe you could write to the Building Society, thank them very much for the bundle, and ask for the information to back up their list and how they've calculated it, just so that you can understand it better. For information, perhaps you could send them a list of your questions so far to save time if you do need to go to court. You might suggest that you would be willing to amend your claim, or even drop it all together if you were confident that the charges truly reflected their actual costs. Send a copy to the court for information to show that even at this late stage you are more than willing to settle if you are confident that the charges truly reflect the costs and that court really is a last resort for you. Of course if they can't show this to your satisfaction you don't have to accept any offers that are not to your satisfaction, or amend your claim, and you have your court date to fall back on.

Just a thought that you may or may not want to consider.

Just look on their website or ask them. The ones above aren't actually full accounts, but I think they should all have annual accounts which are available for anyone to see. If not try Companies House, or you can get some from the FT online service linked below, although not Building Societies I think because they are owned by the members and not listed on the stock exchange. For all searches I tend to just use Google.

FT.com / Annual report services

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you give consent a fee isn't needed. You would have thought he would have known the date of the AGM and it won't hurt to check it. We can all make appointments, but often they can be changed for something important, like a court appearance.

You could point out that you have been waiting a very long time to get this settled, both before taking court action, and since starting it, and that you would really like it settled as soon as possible now. If you are finding the delay stressful, or feel your health is being affected, include that in the letter. Perhaps if it can't be settled the day of the AGM, could the judge suggest an earlier date, when, for example he may have a cancellation? You want to be as reasonable as you can, but your attempts to settle are being scuppered at every turn it seems. I think BankFodder might say the delay is a human rights issue.

Of course they seem confident. They want you to think that, but they are still unlikely to go to court. I think of it as a game of chicken. Who will jump out of the way first.

Sounds like you've done your homework, you're prepared. Why give them the benefit of knowing what you have found out and giving them the opportunity of looking for more obstacles and arguments to deter you.

Is it vital that this person attends the AGM or is he just a staff member who might be useful? He can make it back in time. You know what you have to do. Keep us posted.;)

• 4 weeks later...

'other income and charges'

I'm just a little dubious that this may be possible for them to explain away, and how much is actually penalty charges, if any.

Is there a little number next to this figure, which refers to a note which might explain what this consists of?

• 2 months later...

I wish I could be more helpful, but take a look at this link which may help. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/641-case-guidance-notes-going.html

Well, you haven't lost, and looks like costs won't be an issue so that is good news.

I look forward to hearing from you in a few days. Everything crossed for you.