• Tweets

• Just a typo change that I'd make for the last line. Maybe also add something that says "I assume you will be fully aware that you cannot rely on a clause of a contract that you do not produce."
    • Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims   Please let us know how you get on.
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • Thanks DX,   I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HFC Marbles Card Charges Reclaiming

tifo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't a letter to the debtor to notify them of the assignment only requried to change the assignment from equitable to absolute.

I would think it is to notify them of the change in absolute ownership of their debt?

A bank would not need to notify the debtor if an equitable assignment is done in order for the DCA to collect a debt. Or i think.

Of course, with Cabot there seems to be a mixture of equitable/absolute assignment but usually its either one or the other.

There is an entire section within one of Sales Agreements (Deed of Assignment)

Repurchased and Recalled Accounts

25. The Seller will notify the Buyer’s Servicer of accounts it wishes to recall on an ad-hoc basis. This notification should provide the minimal level of detail agreed operationally. Accounts notified by the 1st of each Month will be included in the Buyer’s Servicer’s monthly submission.

26. The Buyer’s Servicer will obtain reasonable evidence that an account is eligible for repurchase, and make this available to the Seller on demand.

27. The Buyer’s Servicer will submit a monthly list of accounts for repurchase / recall on the date of each months fresh purchase (usually between 25th and 28th). The Seller will review this list and agree with the Buyer’s Servicer within 5 working days the final list of accounts to be repurchased / recalled.

28. The Seller will forward reimbursement to the Buyer’s Servicer for the cost, without deduction or withholding , of each months agreed list of recalled and repurchased accounts to arrive no later than the 25th of that month

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

thanks Tbern, i have this from you already.

but, in law there would still need to be an absolute assignment of the debt to the buyer (the bank) and that agreement is only valid between the bank and DCA, to which the debtor is not a party. Their contract is not the law, no matter what they want to think.

if my debt was sold under legislation, a private agreement between the bank and DCA cannot re-assign it. It would have to be done within legislation again.

I'd like to see them bring that private contract to court as proof of their ownership .... i'd say, but Judge Sir, it's not the law, is it?

thanks Tbern, i have this from you already.

but, in law there would still need to be an absolute assignment of the debt to the buyer (the bank) and that agreement is only valid between the bank and DCA, to which the debtor is not a party. Their contract is not the law, no matter what they want to think.

When you sign the agreement (I will use Citi as an example) you agreed that they could assign their rights under the agreement.

One of those rights, is the right to assign. Is there anything to prevent the right to assign from being assigned ?

You could argue that the DCA cannot assign the account back as they can't prove ownership of the account. If the DCA can't prove they are the owner then the OC must still be the owner

tbern123 vs Cabot

The point that I'm trying to make is whilst the bank may have the right under common law to assign the debt 'without' the consent of the debtor they don't now have the right to then REassign it back to the bank without the debtors consent.

If they do & any action be the buyer (DCA) has already failed then that failure is also REassigned

You know far me on this to be honest JonCris, I am just thinking out loud and working through ideas.

But isn't that right given when you sign the original agreement agreeing that the Bank has the right to assign it's rights under the agreement and that the right to assign is one of those rights that has been assigned ?

tbern123 vs Cabot

Yes but if there is no enforceable, valid agreement........what exactly has been assigned.....now't....IMHO it's all been a worthless exercise in paper shuffling

In other words the DCA has purchased a pup & even if passed back to OC it's still a pup

For example if I assign property then it's usually something physical which cannot be disputed but for a debt to be assignable it must be valid

Once the account has been reassigned to the original creditor, would refunding charges to the account be deemed as enforcing the debt ?

As they are not seeking to collect payment directly from the customer

tbern123 vs Cabot

But isn't that right given when you sign the original agreement agreeing that the Bank has the right to assign it's rights under the agreement and that the right to assign is one of those rights that has been assigned ?

Yes, that right has been assigned to a DCA. Bank out of the agreement.

For it to go back to the bank, the same applies to the DCA, i.e. it must have the right to assign its rights under the agreement .... if it had a valid agreement. All i ask is to show me that agreement.

Of course, if i'd done a CCA request to the bank before it sold the account, the same arguments would apply to them that now do to the DCA, i.e. show me the agreement which allows you to data process and assign etc. Most banks at this stage write off the account in full.

But mine got sold years ago and these kind of sites only came later, hence DCAs in the loop.

Yes but if there is no enforceable, valid agreement........what exactly has been assigned.....now't....IMHO it's all been a worthless exercise in paper shuffling

Would I be wrong in thinking that even though the debt is not enforceable it still exisits.

The creditor is just prevented from taking steps to enforce the debt, i.e seek repayment from the debtor.

However, would a refund back to the account, from which the charges were originally applied be deemed as enforcement.

tbern123 vs Cabot

As the debtor may have only signed T's & C's permitting the transfer from the OC to another they may not have agreed to the reversal - once sold it's sold Any indemnity offered by the OC is a matter for those 2 parties & NOT the debtor

I thought that a debtors consent for a debt to assigned was not required as it would not prejudice the debtor. Thus even if he/she did not give consent for the account to be assigned back to the bank, it could still be done

tbern123 vs Cabot

but unless there is a valid enforceable agreement there is no alternative remedy in common law for the debts recover......For that I refer you to Wilson- v - First County

Exactly. If there is no agreement then the debt can be seen as an unrepayable gift to the debtor and if there is an agreement but not fully valid it is unenforceable. It still remains a lemon.

I thought that a debtors consent for a debt to assigned was not required as it would not prejudice the debtor. Thus even if he/she did not give consent for the account to be assigned back to the bank, it could still be done

The debtor has agreed to the assignment of the debt either by default or contract by the OC to another......but they have not agreed.......nor does there appear to be any provision in CL for the debt to be reassigned without consent

The right of reassignment appears to be simply a contractual agreement between only 2 participating parties

Sorry the point I am trying to make is if the bank reopened the account that the charges were applied to and refunded those same charges to the same account. Could this be deemed as enforcing the debt ?

As the charges are being refunded back to that account on the basis that they should never have been applied in the first base. So in reality all the bank would be doing is restoring the account to it's status without the charges

tbern123 vs Cabot

However, would a refund back to the account, from which the charges were originally applied be deemed as enforcement.

if the bank is no longer the legal creditor then they have nothing to enforce and nothing to refund back into, hence my long standing argument that the refund should be paid directly to the claimant and not an outside third party.

if the bank is no longer the legal creditor then they have nothing to enforce and nothing to refund back into, hence my long standing argument that the refund should be paid directly to the claimant and not an outside third party.

But if the debt was reassigned to the Bank, they would be the creditor

tbern123 vs Cabot

I agree with tifo

If they have disposed of the debt for a consideration they have effectively relinquished all rights & responsibilities over that debt. - For them to now have any right of recovery there needs to be a reassignment of the debt back from the DCA to the OC otherwise they have no right to try & enforce the debt

You can't sue off the back of another it's called Champerty & ain't allowed

Would it be the case that if the account was reassigned to the bank, champerty isn't really a consideration and in itself it could not prevent assignment on the basis that the debtors permission is required?

tbern123 vs Cabot

back to square one, how would they re-open a sold account?

Slightly confused by the question. When account is sold it is still on the OC computer systems and they will retain a record of the account for upto 6 years.

For example, if your account was sold say 12 months ago, you could still go into a branch today and they would be able to bring up the account, even if it is closed.

As a result, the inhouse collections department could reopen the account, apply the refund then close the account again.

tbern123 vs Cabot

Slightly confused by the question. When account is sold it is still on the OC computer systems and they will retain a record of the account for upto 6 years.

I meant they could only if they had an absolute assignment to them.

But if the debt was reassigned to the Bank, they would be the creditor

We're going round in circles :confused:

The DCA would need a valid agreement to be able to assign their rights to another. If they have none, they assign a lemon. If they haven't been able to supply one against a lawful request, any further action (such as reassignment) is not valid until they are no longer in default. It's against legislation and OFT guidelines.

In their own assignment, the bank has given up all rights, benefits and obligations of the account to the DCA.

We're going round in circles :confused:

The DCA would have to have a valid agreement to be able to assign their rights to another. If they have none, they assign a lemon.

That argument has one serious flaw and that if there is no valid agreement the bank should not have assigned the account to the DCA.

Wouldn't this make the original assignment to the DCA null and void ?

Thus the OC retains the account anyway

tbern123 vs Cabot