CLI Debt collectors chasing Italian speeding fine

I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down.

- Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either.

- Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr)

- Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs born by you.

- May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475.

- Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt".

That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount.

As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked.

I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom. 

Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'?

Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me?

I'm not after any moral judgment.

Forgot to add, got friends in Italy, and one of them rang the Police where the fine came from, and her reply was “Tell your friend it’s not a big deal, it’s only a speeding fine we’re not going to chase him, tell him in future to take his foot off the gas, however it he returns to a Italy and gets control checked, he would be held until the fine is paid” 

A bit odd I thought, considering I am being chased now.

• dx100uk changed the title to CLI Debt collectors chasing Italian speeding fine

we know them well.

you TOTALLY ignore them.

NO DCA is a BAILIFF

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Advice noted!

Seen you mentioned about a Paploc (forgive the spelling if wrong) You seem to know a fair bit about these matters, from reading your replies on previous threads. I just have another question please. 

Am I right in assuming that the only way it can ever get to that is if the Italian justice system deems it worthy of assigning it over to the British justice system? As difficult as it may be. 

I just want reassurances I guess. I can see the DCA giving up, but not the solicitor in Italy, I have no knowledge on these instances.

it never happens

forget it

shame you entered into pointless FmOtL letter tennis...:pound:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I do genuinely feel stupid about that, wish I’d found this forum before. Thanks for the advice! I’ll be sure to add updates if anything drastic happens.