• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

conned out of £4k

sandy12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i did not need the name to pay money in, only the account number and sort code. He said his name was David (wont give last name) but i did not have to give that to the bank.

Anyway - i did go in the copshop and they said basicly that because i offered it to him, it could be seen as a gift.

But can the police actually track who he was? I mean - if he has closed his account...... :mad:

Of course the can with a bit of effort.

Go back to the nick & request the attendance of a senior officer.

Whether or not it is decided you DID give this guy the money as a gift is not for them to decide it WAS or even might be considered a gift. Your saying you have been conned they have to investigate as they keep telling us if an alledged crime is reported.

If still no joy go & see a solicitor & ask him/her to intervene with police on the basis that you will make a formal complaint.

PS Silly though you have been not getting a provable address it's heart warming to see that there are still trusting souls like you about in today's cynical world who are willing help those they perceive to be in dire straights.

Merry Xmas

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

roger I'm sorry but your comments are completely wrong.

The police investigate such allegations all the time.

If I borrow money from anyone for once purpose & use it for another then I have commited the offence of obtianing a pecuniary advantage by deception.

As for the evidence how do they know there is none until they at least make enquiries. If for example their enquiries where to reveal that there never were bailiffs knocking on the door (false claims which may be evidenced by this persons email) & this persons was making it all up (as now seems likely) then that is evidence of deception

george They seem to have plenty of time to chase after berry pickers. The excuse that they don't have time is rubbish. They have plenty of time. The continually trotted out excuse about the amount of paper work is just an excuse. Witness the recent publicity about the local cooper who holds the record for the No' of villains he's knicked, something like 4-8 per day. How does he do it.......writes quicker maybe!

The fact is they love the paper work after all where would you rather spend your day, outside in all weathers risking life or limb or indoors in the warm at no risk & able to have refreshment at any time. It's a no brainer

Also like many other institutions they hide unlawfully behind the DPA all the time as an excuse not to act. I personally have had to threaten legal action more than once to make them reveal vital information about a 3rd party. One particular forces own solicitor conceded they where acting unlawfully because denying the info was effectivley perverting the course of justice

Quite right I am only expressing my opinion. It is however based on some knowledge as having dealt with the police for over 30 years I can say that the policing in this country is much worse than it was even 10 years ago. As for those who gave their lives I see no link to what I referred too as a failure to patrol the streets but to opt for the comfort of the station & to suggest otherwise is pure humbug. I have police officers in my family whom I like & admire but have actually been told this is their preferred option, make an arrest & spend much of the day in the nick. Throughout the country there have been at least 3 recent murders which could have been avoided had the police done their job. The forces in question have had to issue public apoligies for their failure to protect these victims when they could have

Finally their refusal to investigate the alledged crime complained of here when we are constantly told they investigate ALL alledged crimes to justify arresting and charging Christians & berry pickers make a nonsense of such claims.

:-x

Rubbish. I do not know any Police Officer who would rather stay in the nick than go out and patrol the streets. known a lot over the years have you This is what they joined to do. They all get frustrated by paper work. But like any job you will get those who simply can not be bothered and can not do the job properly. Yes it does happen even in the Police. They are not whiter than white and do make mistakes like every other human being. If those you have spoken to are say this then they wouldn't even bother to chase your berry pickers either.

The police do not investigate ALL alleged crimes Thats not what they claim when asked why the bother with likes of the berry pickers (they would never have time for anything else like rea l commited crime They don't or perhaps you don't keep abreat of current affairs). They need some evidence to begin an investigation and all the evidence available to us here seems to suggest a gift/donation upon request. As it stands at this time it would simply be a civil matter not a criminal one. The police have no jurisdiction over civil matters.

This sheds a little more light on the matter. BBC - h2g2 - Section 16(2)(a) of the 1968 Theft Act (England and Wales) - A203716

sandy12 Get some more evidence to support your claims if you can and they will then look into the matter. Rubbish it's not upto a member of the public to collect evidence, that the police's job. All they are telling you at this stage is it would really be a waste of yours and their time as it stands now because, as quite clearly pointed out, it is simply your word against his.

More rubbish. Most crimes only ever involve anyones word against another until they investigate the allegations.

Not at all.

Yes I have known plenty over the years thank you, both personally and socially. Your sarcastic attitude is no help whatsoever. If you can't take criticism of your comments then don't provide them on a public forum. Pot & Black come to mind

sandy12 needs to provide something to support her allegations. Nearly all crimes have some evidence present or presented on which to base the investigation. More nonsense the poster has made allegations & that IS enough for the police to act (ask Tony Blair)

In cases like this what would stop anybody making such allegations againsts anybody else? EVIDENCE. happens all the time At the moment all that exists is a verbal and possibly written (electronic) agreement which is a legally binding contract. sandy12 needs to try and show that the money was lent and not given. No they don't they have made their allegations & it's upto the police to investigate to see if there is evidence to support the persons allegationsThe case would never get to court and that is not down to the police it is the CPS that make such decisions. How does anyone know unless it's investigated.

Have you ever thought that the problem may not lie at the feet of the police? After many years of spineless jellyfish descisions at the hands of the CPS many of them have also lost the will to carry on. They spend all their time gathering evidence and compiling court papers and files for either the CPS to pull out at the last minute or the case to be thrown out due to lack of evidence. Lack of evidence! Who's fault is that then the CPS!

EVIDENCE is what makes a case not the allegation. Particularly with fraud and deception crimes the physical and electronic evidence is crucial as no forensic evidence exsists. But what starts a case IS the allegation

I am not saying that the crime hasn't been committed. I am just telling it as it is not as it should be. We live in the real world now not the how it was or how it should be world. This is the real world. Under the Police Act if an allegation is made then they ARE required to investigate. Something they in common with the banks would like the rest of us NOT to know

If you want to blame anyone blame the government. Believe it or not most Police Officers are probably more frustrated than the public. It is caused by the target and figure culture that the government ram down all our public sector necks.

You still haven't commented on the police officer who managed to arrest hundreds whilst his fellow officers didn't. As I said was it maybe because he could write faster or what or was it because he wanted to do his job.

Oh! dear.

The police ARE supposed to investigate on somebodies WORD they do it ALL the time. In many matters it's what brings the evidence to light or not as the case may be.

The fact that this person alledges that they have been deceived into given/loaned or whatever to the other person IS sufficent for them to investigate.

The fact that this person may have claimed to need the money for one thing & used it for another IS in itself a crime & it's called obtaining money by deception

Incidently I know full well how the police & the judicial system works

The original poster should see a solicitor & they might be able put bomb under their backsides.

• Haha 1

Suggest to the bank that they may be guilty of money laundering because if its proven that a crime has been committed then the 4K would be considered 'proceeds of crime'. They can't claim ignorance because the poster has been in & told them. That should get a few backsides twitching

Incidently if the poster still has the original sort code they may be able to ID the branch of the bank used.

Thank you Demon that is precisley what I mean.......I do wish some folks would read my posts before commenting & deciding to insult me. The PO is not guilty of money laundering they are the victim.........It's the bank I refer to

Also, unlike some, who only have the company mantra to rely on I understand fully what is meant by money laundering & have used the threat of reporting it, on behalf of another, against an unco-operative bank with success in order to recover monies paid to a 3rd party who in turn was channelling monies to a major [problem] operation.

I have commented on the original post & whether or not they choose to follow it is upto them as my advice remains the same.........seek advice from a good solicitor. Preferably one who has a criminal practice because the chances are they will have relationship with the local nick

How do you know the money has been used for something else? You don't as the op has not been able to contact the person. They may well have been in debt and used this to pay off said debts.

I don't & neither will anyone else until it's investigated but the fact that this person has disappeared with 4K does not bode well & is a cause for enquiry.

The simple fact is that no matter what is being claimed or the police are saying (without any evidence I might add) if an allegation of a crime is made they ARE duty bound to investigate.

They may not wish too but they are required by law to investigate ALL allegations of crime as they keep telling us when matters such as the cherry pickers comes to light.

As for the money laundering I made mention of it to prove that it is possible to have these people co-operate. As one of the guilty parties the bank would be very foolish if it did freeze the account in the full knowledge that the bird had already flown. If the account holder suffered as a result they would lay themselves open to litigation.

What makes you think only goods have to be involved for there to be money laundering. It's the transfer of money (the proceeds) that constitutes money laundering & ignorance is no plea. To be guilty of money laundering they don't have to have been aware at the time & this is specific to the Act & is a matter of considerable dispute as it places a great burden on what in most other circumstances would be considered innocent pawns. However having been told by the victim what may have happened they are required to report it.

As for the banks the day might come when their actions are deemed to be not just unlawful but illegal.

I agree the poster may well have left because of much of the ill-informed advice they have received. Things like THEY need to gather any evidence & produce it BEFORE the police can act. That's the police's job & no others. In fact if they did do that THEY could be accused of commiting a criminal offence such as harassment

natwest Sandy did NOT knowingly transfer anything if it was a con.

Sandy thought is was for one thing when it looks like it was for another. Something they won't know until the police investigate the allegations.

PS it ain't complicated at all. An allegation of a criminal act has been made & the police are duty bound to investigate........period. Just ask Tony Blair or the Cherry Pickers.

It works like this, crime is commited, allegations are made, police investigate, evidence is discovered or not as the case may be, charges are laid, or not, trial takes place & if convicted an order for restitution is applied for.

Sandy if your still out there here's something you my wish to send to your uncooperative bank manager.

Dear Sirs/Madams, Account Number Sort Code

You will recall that I visited the bank to advise you that I think I may have been the victim of a confidence trickster to whom I arranged the transfer of £4,000 to their account via the branch.

As I foolishly undertook this transfer myself and cannot of course pursue restitution from the bank I have requested the assistance of the branch in helping to identify this person with no success, being quoted the Data Protection Act.

I would respectively remind you that the DPA is not to be used to conceal a criminal act, alleged or otherwise and to do so renders that organisation liable

I would also respectively remind you that now you are aware of the alleged fraud the proceeds transferred may now constitute the proceeds of fraudulent activity by this party.

I would also remind you that knowingly or otherwise it is illegal for you, under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 to handle transfer, or arrange assets derived from criminal conduct. By doing so, you may be in violation of sections 327 (Concealing etc), 328 (Arrangements) and 329 (Acquisition, Use and Possession) of criminal property.

If you do not assist me I will file a formal complaint against you with your head office and my local police.

Please note a copy of this letter is being forwarded to my member of parliament.

I await your advices at your earliest convenience

Yours faithfully

Feel free to amend cut & paste

Sorry & with respect frankly I'm getting fed up with people claiming to understand the law & how it SHOULD operate when they don't.

Victims are conned into handing over money (willingly) all the time. Yet the police still investigate when later allegations of deception are made & it is they who gather any evidence not the victim. What can the victim say other than "I handed the money over officer because I was led to believe" etc

As for Tony Blair I mention him because an allegation was made that he swore at the TV making remarks about the Welsh. This brought about a full investigation by the Zcar of the traffic taliban.

I also mention the cherry pickers because it appears the police only had the word of some caretaker that they had taken the berries yet they still investigated as they ALWAYS claim they are required to do (which is actually true but only when it suits them apparently)

It wasn't apparent until the police interviewed the cherry pickers who being honest folk & thinking they where not doing anything wrong probably readily admitted taking the berries. Upto that point it was only the word of one person which started the manhunt

I'm sorry your missing the point again. For the police to investigate the OP only had to make the allegation of a crime for there to be sufficient cause for action & I don't care if they did hand their money over willingly, at the time, until they do investigate they will not be able to say one way or another if a crime has been committed.

Again no one will know if a deception took place unless they investigate the allegations. The deception would occur if they claimed they wanted the money for one thing whilst all the time intending to use it for another. For example if after investigating it was found that there never was a bailiff knocking at the door that would be sufficient for a charge of deception.

They keep telling us but you seem to ignore, that the law requires they investigate ALL alledged crimes.