• Tweets

• It is not as simple as you seem to suggest. 1. My wife needed the car and there are no local public transport facilities within 2 miles. 2 Neither of us has the technical expertise to change a battery. 3 Not only does the battery itself have to be appropriate for stop/start technology; but also, according to the handbook, has to be registered with Mini by a recognised agent, which I am not, neither is Big Motoring World. 4 The car had to be towed. Where was I going to have it towed to where I could be sure it would be properly dealt with? I couldn't trust Big Motoring World to do it. I couldn't have it towed to just any garage and be sure they had the right battery and the time to fit it. 5 The high sum involved is mainly for the diagnostic test which Big Motoring World asked me to obtain; and they did not initially raise any objection to the car being taken to the nearest main dealer. I would not have got the diagnostic test, if they had not asked for one. So, I understand where you are coming from, but having ignored requests for reimbursement, what else could I have done to recover my lay out?
    • Thank you FTMDave.  I'm happy to make your suggested changes.  I'll wait a day or 2 to see if any of the team have any other suggestions or feedback.  Do I then just email a copies to both UKPC and the court? Lookinforinfo - Unfortunately I am not sure if the signs have since been changed and cannot recall seeing any on the night as it was dark.   
    • The US confirmed it revoked licences allowing the export of some goods to Chinese tech giant.View the full article
    • I can't imagine that EVRi will want a judgement against them on this and based on this argument. I reckon you have a better than 90% chance that they will try to reach out to you before the trial date. They know that what they are doing is thoroughly wrong and dishonest and contrary to law. They are following this thread, of course – and they've already seen this witness statement. I imagine that they are scrabbling around trying to understand how they can extricate this without using too much face. I suppose they will make an offer to you which is a few quid short of your claim in order to say that they were justified in being stupid. Hold out for every penny. It's your money and you deserve it. It's not their money and they don't deserve it
    • New paragraph 47 – If you insert that – and move everything else down then I think you are good to go. Well done on going through the mill on this but it looks pretty good
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

In-the-process-of-being-summoned-to-court-over-section-40a-of-the-road-traffic-act-1988-uk-for-overloaded-90

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This OP has been given good (and consistent) advice from other places. In a nutshell:

Nothing he says provides anything in the way of a defence so his best option is to plead guilty. As the driver he is responsible for ensuring the vehicle was not overloaded to a dangerous degree. His ignorance of the vehicle's payload capability, etc. is no defence. The notion that he was unaware of the overloading is a bit fanciful. He contends that he should not be guilty because no danger or injury to anybody else resulted and that the vehicle was not dangerous because he detected "...no bent chassis or smoke coming from tyres or bouncing chassis.". This, of course, misses a very important point. The braking system of a vehicle is designed for a maximum payload. To carry almost twice that payload will obviously present a danger in the event of an emergency.

The offence carries an unlimited fine though, as with all fines, it will be income related. The penalty will probably be quite hefty in his case because of the degree of overload. 

It also carries three points or a disqualification, with a second conviction for a similar offence within three years seeing a mandatory ban.

He cannot go to prison for it under any circumstances. He is extremely unlikely to see a ban imposed for this single offence. It cannot be dealt with anywhere other than in the Magistrates' Court. It cannot be referred to the Crown Court.

This is now the fourth forum I have seen this question posed and I get the impression he feels that if he asks the question a sufficient number of times he may get the reassurance he seeks!  

• Like 1

You say im seeking reassurances your wrong. I'm seeking someone who has been charged for the same or similar offence so thats why I am asking on different forum as people who have not been charged or been in the same or simialr situations usually do not know what they are talking about.

You have been advised on here, and elsewhere, by people who do know what they are talking about. Although I must accept that I have not been charged with the same or a similar offence, this includes me.

Somebody who has been charged with a similar offence may not necessarily know what they are talking about and in any case the outcome of their case will depend on all of its circumstances, which will almost certainly be different to yours.

You keep on asking questions to which there is a definitive answer which you have already been given. For example, you keep on asking whether prison is a possibility. You have been told that it is not and anybody who has faced a similar charge will tell you likewise because it is not legally possible. You can check any advice you have received online by looking at the relevant legislation. The Road Traffic Act Section 40a, under which you have been charged) is here:

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to consolidate certain enactments relating to road traffic with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission.

The Road Traffic Offenders’ Act (which gives, at Schedule 2, details of the penalties that can be imposed for the offence) can be found here:

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to consolidate certain enactments relating to the prosecution and punishment (including the punishment without conviction) of road traffic offences with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law...

So, you think all my reasons are made up to get away with it?

I have not said that. I don't doubt they're true. I said they do not form the basis of a defence that is likely to succeed.

Its not ignorance i simply was not aware. 

It amounts to the same thing and does not provide you with a defence or even mitigation. Drivers are expected to know the law in relation to the vehicles they are driving. If they don't they can expect to be prosecuted. 

Are you aware on the payloads for rented vehicles in your local area? 

No I’m not because I don’t rent vans. If I did, particularly if I did so professionally, I would make it my business to find out the maximum payload etc. But it isn’t what I know or don’t know that matters.

The fines are capped in a magistrates court per offence, per axle limit exceded.

You have not been charged with exceeding an axle load or payload. You have been charged with “Using vehicle in dangerous condition.” Specifically when “…the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured, is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

And the fine for that offence is unlimited (though based on income)

The police obviously believed the weight of your load posed a danger of injury to another person.

I wish you luck if you decide to defend the charge on the basis you've mentioned. I’m out now.

Edited by Man in the middle
  • I agree 1

14 hours ago, Braveheart2009 said:

Pleading not guilty fed up with people trying to screw you up trying to do a good cause thinking your robot perfect. 

Do be sure to let us - and the people on the other forums you have posted on, who gave their free time to advise you -  how you get on. I'm sure we'd all like to learn from your experience.. 

• I agree 1

51 minutes ago, BazzaS said:

are the prosecuting you for overweight, the load / vehicle posing a risk of injury to others, or both?

They are prosecuting under s40a of the RTA (Using vehicle in dangerous condition etc). This previous thread was locked as it was going nowhere:

It centred around the potential sentence (the explanations for which, provided both here and elsewhere, were not believed). This will probably end up the same way.

Edited by Man in the middle

How will finding out whether there were any issues with any unspecified weighing equipment from an unspecified time in the past help you with your argument?

There is a basic tenet in law that any equipment used as a measuring device is presumed to be accurate unless the contrary can be proved. If you are to use faulty equipment as a defence you must prove to the court that the equipment used to weigh your vehicle was faulty on the occasion it was used to weigh it.

Simply suggesting that since some other equipment used elsewhere to weigh something else was faulty, then that used to weigh your vehicle may be unreliable, will not cut the mustard. 

9 hours ago, Braveheart2009 said:

Also, the police visually monitored my vehicle for 10 mins driving, how could they possibly view that as dangerous driving out of 3 hours of driving?

I didn't know you'd been charged with dangerous driving.  First you've mentioned of it.

I've tried, but I think I'm out (again).  Do let us know how it goes.

• I agree 1

• AndyOrch changed the title to In-the-process-of-being-summoned-to-court-over-section-40a-of-the-road-traffic-act-1988-uk-for-overloaded-90

Been advised on here and elsewhere of prison sentence, community service, £100,000 fines, court appearence in the dock with the traffic commissioner grilling you about what you done,  for being 2.71 ton over 77%. overloaded

Not on here you haven't (and nor elsewhere that I've seen). Those notions came from your vivid imagination and were dismissed on here (which you chose not to believe).

They slapped me with 3 points and £245 fine.

Which was in line with most suggestions, though the fine is a bit generous for such serious overloading.

just my geuine reasons which lawyers/public ridiculed me...

That's principally because, from your description, they were ridiculous.

Main reason I plead guilty was £2000-4000 plus lawyer fees to pay 

You don't need a lawyer to plead Not Guilty. I would suggest your guilty plea was very wise since, again from your description of events, you clearly were guilty.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

• Like 2

The 3 points come off automatically after 3 years from the offence date but they remain on your driving history record between 4-11 years depending on severity.

They remain active for “totting up” purposes for three years, they are removed from your driving record after four years and you must declare them to most insurers for five years. Only offences involving driving under the influence of drink or drugs remain on your record for eleven years.

There was a £90 victim surcharge?  there was no victim involved?

It is officially simply a “surcharge”. It is popularly known as a “Victim Surcharge” because it was introduced to fund organisations which provide help for victims (such as Victim Support, the Witness Service, domestic violence charities, etc.). It is imposed on all defendants subject to a fine regardless of the offence and it is set at 40% of the fine (and of the highest fine only if the defendant has more than one fine imposed at a single hearing). The Magistrates must impose it and have no discretion over the amount. As an aside, your figures do not add up and I suspect the £90 you mention was prosecution costs, but no matter.  

Dealing with a social worker to decide their opinion what to write on the judges report.

What? For a minor, non-imprisonable traffic offence which can only be dealt with by way of a fine? There must be something we don’t know about.

I'm going to claim hardship on the fine I will be dealing with an algorithm.

Good luck to you with that (and to the court that has to deal with your claim). 😆

• Like 1