Contractual hours question...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Asking a question on behalf of my partner who works in the hospitality industry as a unit manager.

Recently, like many businesses, the company have had a big budget shape up and given lots of targets for finances in and out of the business. Obviously there is a big focus on labour costs too, my partner is salaried, weekly pay, no real issues surrounding this for us but, the area manager has recently been emailing all managers in the business (most venues are in Ireland, only 1 in England) and insisting that all Unit Managers and their Assistants work an average of 45 hours a week. The area manager states this is a contractual obligation, having had a look at my partners contract it states "....your working hours will vary to meet the needs of the business and you are expected to work no less than 40 hours per week..." 

There is no overtime pay for Managers or their Assistants and (as with many businesses) the opportunity to reclaim any extra hours in lieu time is very few and far between, there has recently been emails sent saying that on a weekly basis all clocking in and out data will be pulled, reports reviewed and potential investigation and disciplinary action could be taken against managers and assistants who fall below 45 hours a week

Both my partner and I work full time and manage shifts around family, the dogs and other commitments, my partner has worked his way up from a part time line staff member to the unit manager, at one point being left in full control of the venue after previous managers walked out when only a supervisor, and puts in many hours work at home on top of work in the venue and I was wondering if there is any real basis for investigation/disciplinary threats given the contract states no less than 40 hours a week

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers