• Tweets

• Hi, I have an old outstanding debt from 1994 due to MBNA for £20,000. The debt has been passed to various DCAs and is currently with PRA Group.  I sent them a CCA letter in January 2024. They acknowledged this letter and stated they would come back when they had more information, however the information did not arrive within the 12 working day scenario.. I have just received a copy of the agreement which goes back to 1994 from them. In their response letter they have stated " Please find enclosed documentation received to date: we are waiting further documents in order to complete your request. We have currently deemed this debt as unenforceable which means we are not able to take court or further action against you to recover the outstanding balance". They then go on to state "we are still legally entitled to:  1.Contact you to ask and repay what you owe 2.Pass your details onto a third party collection agency 3. Continue to report your account with the credit reference bureaux (as appropriate)". I'm at a loss as to what I should do next and would appreciate any guidance on this matter. I am currently paying £5.00 pcm. TIA      
    • A sinister tactic known as shoulder surfing is on the rise in the UK. Fraudsters are watching unwitting people log in to their mobile banking apps over their shoulder.View the full article
    • My understanding is that they won't provide the name to me whether the investigation is Live or Closed, & I have no legal rep as I didn't have P.I. Cover on my policy, & am intending to claim using OIC.org.uk, but remain completely stuck as they 100% cannot open a claim on the portal without both the Reg. No. & Name of the other driver.  
    • thanks again ftmdave, your words are verey encouraging and i do appreciate them. i have taken about 2 hours to think of a letter to write to the ceo...i will paste it below...also how would i address a ceo? do i just put his name? or put dear sir? do you think its ok?  i would appreciate feedback/input from anybody if anything needs to be added/taken away, removed if incorrect etc. i am writing it on behalf of my friend..she is the named driver  - im the one with the blue badge and owner of the car - just for clarification. thanks in adavance to everyone.       My friend and I are both disabled and have been a victim of disability discrimination on the part of your agents.   I have been incorrectly 'charged' by your agent 'excel parking' for overstaying in your car park, but there was no overstay. The letter I recieved said the duration of stay was 15 minutes but there is a 10 minute grace period and also 5 minutes consideration time, hence there was no duration of stay of 15 minutes.   I would like to take this oppertunity to clarify what happend at your Gravesend store. We are struggling finacially due to the 'cost of living crisis' and not being able to work because we are both disabled, we was attracted to your store for the 10 items for £10 offer. I suffer dyslexia and depression and my friend who I take shopping has a mobility disability. We went to buy some shopping at your Gravesend branch of Iceland on 28th of December 2023, we entered your car park, tried to read and understand the parking signs and realised we had to pay for parking. We then realised we didnt have any change for the parking machine so went back to look for coins in the car and when we couldnt find any we left. As my friend has mobility issues it takes some time for me to help him out of the car, as you probably understand this takes more time than it would a normal able bodied person. As I suffer dyslexia I am sure you'll agree that it took me more time than a normal person to read and understand the large amount of information at the pay & display machine. After this, it took more time than an able bodied person to leave the car park especially as I have to help my friend on his crutches etc get back into the car due to his mobility disability. All this took us 15 minutes.   I was the driver of my friends car and he has a blue badge. He then received a 'notice to keeper' for a 'failure to purchase a parking tariff'. On the letter it asked to name the driver if you wasnt the driver at the time, so as he wasnt the driver he named me. I appealed the charge and told them we are disabled and explained the situation as above. The appeal was denied, and even more so was totally ignored regarding our disabilities and that we take longer than an able bodied person to access the car and read the signs and understand them. As our disabilities were ignored and disregarded for the time taken I believe this is discrimination against us. I cannot afford any unfair charges of this kind as I am severely struggling financially. I cannot work and am a carer for my disabled Son who also has a mental and mobility disability. I obviously do not have any disposable income and am in debt with my bills. So its an absolute impossibility for me to pay this incorrect charge.     After being discriminated by your agent my friend decided to contact 'iceland customer care team' on my behalf and again explained the situation and also sent photos of his disabled blue badge and proof of disability. He asked the care team to cancel the charge as ultimately its Iceland's land/property and you have the power over excel parking to cancel it. Again we was met with no mention or consideration for our disability and no direct response regarding the cancellation, all we was told was to contact excel parking. He has replied over 20 times to try to get the 'care team' to understand and cancel this but its pointless as we are just ignored every time. I believe that Ignoring our disability is discrimination which is why I am now contacting you.     I have noticed on your website that you are 'acting' to ease the 'cost of living crisis' : https://about.iceland.co.uk/2022/04/05/iceland-acts-to-ease-the-cost-of-living-crisis/   If you really are commited to helping people in this time of crisis ..and especially two struggling disabled people, can you please cancel this charge as it will only cause more damage to our mental health if you do not.  
    • I've also been in touch via the online portal to the Police's GDPR team, to request the name of the other Driver. Got this response:   Dear Mr. ---------   Our Ref: ----------   Thank you for your request which has been forwarded to the Data Protection Team for consideration.   The data you are requesting is third party, we would not give this information directly to you.   Your solicitor or legal team acting on our behalf would approach us directly with your signed (wet) consent allowing us to consider the request further.   I note the investigation is showing as ‘live’ at this time, we would not considered sharing data for suggested injury until the investigation has been closed.   If you wish to pursue a claim once the investigation has been closed please signpost your legal team to [email protected]   Kind regards   ----------------- Data Protection Assistant    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Run a small construction co. - client won't pay final invoice. - help RE: Small claims please ***Resolved***

Kwabena
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 750 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

By the way, do you happen to know what the professional background of these people is?

That's fine, and it's all quite natural.

The main thing to be achieved by first of all sending them a letter of claim and then if necessary issuing a claim is to put them in a position where they have to do disclose what the problem is.

I gather that so far they have given absolutely no clue as to what might be wrong.

I agree that it is probably a case of not wanting to pay – but they will certainly have to explain their basis for their reluctance either to you or to the courts.

You had better start reading up the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court. Also you had better start drafting a letter of claim – but keep it scant

• Thanks 1

I'm very sorry but I hadn't at all understood that there was an element of your work which had yet to be validated.
Had you mentioned this before?

Well this is something that I hadn't grasped before.

I'm afraid I think you will have to wait – as long as the weight is not unreasonably long. You clearly have somebody who is able to feed you information and so you had better keep your ear to the ground.
Let's know what happens – but I don't think you are in a position to proceed now

If the timescale was several months then I think it would be reasonable to ask for replies quickly. However, as it seems that the timescale is only a couple of weeks then by the time you have sent your letter of claim, and then you are ready to begin an action, it may be that the validation of the system is underway and you could even be at risk of losing your claim fee.

I think you are rather trapped at the moment.
Even though there might be a quicker way to validate the system as you suggest, they are clearly in no hurry to help you or to cooperate and so even getting that done will take time.

I normally like to take control and to be much more assertive but I think that your best interests are served in going along with it for the moment. Very frustrating, I know.

You could write to them and set deadlines et cetera – but they probably won't respond and every time you write them a letter and they don't respond, you feel humiliated and they feel as if they have gained some Face.

I'm afraid I don't see any point in taking any kind of action – communication, letters of claim anything – unless you are sure that you have the whip hand and I don't see that at the moment

I'm just giving you my advice from my point of view.

There is no particular disadvantage to sending them another letter – although I would keep it very polite and not threatening or impose deadlines because you are in a position to do this unless you are prepared to take court action immediately – and I don't think you are.

Maybe you could send them a letter saying that despite their lack of any responses to you you understand that they are waiting to connect up the drains so that they can validate the drainage work that you have done.
If you want to claim the moral high ground, you could explain to them that you understand this although it would have been helpful if they had explained it.
Can they give you a rough date as to when they expect the drainage work to be completed

• Thanks 1

• dx100uk changed the title to Run a small construction co. - client won't pay final invoice. - help RE: Small claims please

Yes. That's why I gave it a Like

By all means you can suggest this but I think that you should also suggest that this should be done under supervision by a professional

• Thanks 1

Your last sentence which I have highlighted in red makes it sound as if you are pleading.

"Please will you give me a date by which the system will be commissioned."

• Thanks 1

Yes of course if it contributes to that discussion – but on the other hand don't hijack somebody else's thread for your own discussion

• Like 1

I'm not particularly surprised you haven't received an answer and this is broadly the reason why I was gently trying to discourage you from sending this email because it reinforces the sense that you are acting as a supplicant.

It's very clear to me that these people are playing you. I think that much has been obvious right from the beginning. The problem is we don't really know what their plan is – whether to avoid paying altogether, whether to force you to some fairly brutal compromise or to be completely straight dealing with you – although this last option seems to me to be pretty unlikely.

You are asking to know what your options are now – but in fact when you send messages, you should already have your options sorted out before you send the message rather than figure what you should do now.

I think your position now is that either you sit it out and wait – or else you threaten and then bring a legal action.

I think this was your only option before. By sending your last message of course you have shown that you are reasonable and that you would like to work things are and that will go to your credit – but I think that these people are taking advantage of this.

I suddenly had an idea which might help you to put them on the back foot.

I'm afraid that I really need to go through the whole thread again in detail and I just don't have time for that at the moment.

However I think it might be a good tactic to propose to appoint an independent assessor to go in and have a look at the work which is carried out and to give an opinion as to the quality and whether the objectives in the contract have been achieved.
I can imagine that your clients won't agree to this – but I think it would be to your advantage to have offered it. If they do agree then you should arrange to get somebody in as quickly as possible and to carry out a full inspection and written report.

You need the inspector to be as independent as possible. You would have to propose it to the other side and maybe give them an option of two or three inspectors and ask them if they object to any of them or if they would particularly like one.

This may well put you two extra expense but it will probably only be 150 quid or so.

If they don't respond to your proposal then I would begin a legal action.

If they agree to your proposal then you put the inspector in and on the basis of the report, you expect to get paid or you will begin a legal action.

If they refuse your proposal – then you begin a legal action.

This may sound all quite dramatic – but I'm trying to put you in a position where any action you take will result in a Win.

Please check back for a reply later.
However, what would your qualified chartered surveyor cost you for a visit and a report?

300 quid sounds a lot – maybe you could just begin by getting another competent builder to give a view and a quote if necessary

You want your inspector to visit the property and conduct an inspection and appraisal of the work that was carried out and identify any defects. To advise on remedies and likely costs.

This means of course that your clients will have to be prepared to allow the inspection.

If they allow the inspection then that's excellent because you get the information you need and we can move on.

If they don't allow the inspection then they are obstructing you and I think that this puts you in an extremely powerful position and you then send your letter of claim and go to court.

There is no downside for you.

If they were here and we were advising them, I would advise them to allow the inspection.

First of all, I don't imagine that they will respond to you or else they won't permit the inspection .

That puts you in a very good position because they are being unreasonable and non-cooperative .

If they do allow the inspection then the job of the inspector will probably simply to ascertain the job and to consider that it is complete and also make a comment on the drains.

Because they aren't prepared to give their own commentary, it will at least give you an independent idea of their side of the story and then you'll be in a position to consider your next move which will probably be going to court.

All I'm trying to do is help you prepare the ground so that if you do issue proceeding - as you probably will have to do then you can do it confidently knowing that nobody can possibly say that you haven't done your best to work things out outside the litigation process

I don't know what else to say to you. I thought I had explained this to you and it was fairly clear .

It's your decision now. You seem to be reluctant to take this step and you seem to think that you should just go ahead and take a legal action .

You certainly could, but I think that this will put you in a better position, but it's your case to win or to lose

I don't have any problem with being questioned hard about anything.

If we can refine our ideas then that's good .

However, I feel that all I'm doing at the moment is repeating broadly the same advice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be better to have a surveyor lined up and then put it to the client .

However, if you can't get one lined up then put it to the client anyway to see what the response is .

When you say that the drainage is signed off, does that mean that in principle any concerns of the client has been addressed ?

Have you got written evidence that it has been signed off? If you can do that then you may be good to go

Yes, I think if you can get an official independent confirmation. Then I think that it would be reasonable to send that to the client and inform them that they already know about this. That you would like them now to settle your invoice unless they would like to make clear any other objections. Don't set any time limits but I would then give them about five days and I think it is then time to threaten legal proceedings and to bring them.

I think you have got lots of communications which show that you have bent over backwards to accommodate them and they are simply being uncooperative.
I rather predict that once you threaten legal action, that they will make you an offer which may well be part of their gameplan anyway.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you think you are going to achieve by this letter.

You are dealing with a client that is giving you the runaround. You have ample evidence of this. You now have ample evidence that you have bent over backwards to try and accommodate them and they are simply stalling you by not giving you any information at all.

It now seems that you have got evidence from a professional that the drains are correctly installed – and yet you still want to give your client an opportunity to protract the discussion.

You can send the letter by all means – but what are you going to do if you get the usual rubbish.

It's up to you of course but don't you think that you are now at the point where you should issue a firm threat of legal proceedings and 14 days – and then follow through with that threat.

Yes, you are right. That is what I suggested. I had forgotten .

However, thinking about it again. It seems to me that maybe you should simply cut to the chase .

Please monitor this thread for a reply later or probably tomorrow .

However, this is another open-ended letter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You don't particularly need to mention the full exchange between you. You really just need to identify the breach of contract .

Post a draft here before you click it off

• Like 1

Clearly they are just trying to confuse the issue.

I suggest that you send them the communication they are asking for, the invoices – and tell them that in respect of the rest, you consider yourself to be bound by the requirements of the consumer rights act 2015.

Tell them that you have satisfied their request for information. Any other questions will be dealt with during the court process if they are deemed relevant by the court.

Tell them that the clock is still clicking on your letter of claim and that you will be issuing proceedings on XXX date as promised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1