• Tweets

• Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

VCS Spycar PCN PAPLOC now Claimform - No Stopping - Bristol Airport **CLAIM DISMISSED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 559 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That communicates the essential stuff.

Generally we make the letters snottier to show Simple Simon you would be a tough opponent in court and would cost him, so best to leave you in peace and look for a mug who would just cough up instead.

Have a look at post 38 at  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/441307-vcs-spycar-pcn-no-stopping-jla-liverpool-airport/page/2/#comment-5142779  You'll need to adapt it as it was sent to solicitors representing Simple Simon and it was a second Letter Before Claim but the meat of the snotty letter is there.                       

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to VCS Spycar PCN PAPLOC now Claimform - No Stopping - Bristol Airport

The details you've given us are fine, we don't need to see the claimform.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Keep an eye on Zimbird's thread  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/439264-unknown-vcs-ccj-bristol-airport-stopping-in-a-zone-where-stopping-is-prohibited-was-abroad/page/11/#comments

Zimbird has an imminent court case against VCS - for no stopping at Bristol Airport.

• 2 weeks later...

If you click here  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/393251-received-a-court-claim-from-a-private-parking-speculative-invoice-how-to-deal-with-it-hereupdated-dec-2021/  and scroll down to  Q2) How should I defend?  there is a template defence.

I see six of the eight pages of the contract are missing - good own goal from VCS! 

1 hour ago, Lazy farmer said:

The amount they are claiming is £170 + £35 court fee + £50 Legal representation, original Charge Notice was £100 - so defense 5. does apply?

Yep, they have made up £70 Unicorn Food Tax so include the point.

And I send the Defence page 4 of the Claim Form duly filled in by post to the court  a proof of posting?

You can if you want, but generally Caggers open an account with MCOL and file the defence on-line.  It's just easier and means you can track progress on-line.

It's just defence stage LFI.

The reason the OP has evidence from VCS is that incredibly for once their solicitors have replied to the CPR request.

Sending a "contract" with six of the eight pages missing is a constant VCS own goal at this airport.

Edited by FTMDave
Typo

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you look at post 94 on Doomtrooper's thread  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/441307-vcs-spycar-pcn-claimform-no-stopping-jla-liverpool-airport/page/4/#comments  there is a cracking WS.  It's based on Alaska101's but is updated due to the government's new Code of Practice.  It's a VCS-airport-no stopping case like yours.

You can use probably 90% of it and also weave in your personal stuff about the rubbish signage.

Sadly Alaska101 has not updated their thread despite numerous requests so we don't know the result.

• 1 month later...
On 02/07/2022 at 20:22, Lazy farmer said:

Hypothetically if the defendant  was the driver would the judge ask this & would the defendant be obliged to answer?

It is up to Simon to prove who the driver was, and if he's been too lazy/arrogant to use POFA properly then tough.

At least that's how things should work and how the vast majority of judges consider things.  We did get a useless judge in a set aside hearing recently who did ask the Cagger if they were driving.

Can anyone confirm if the roads within Bristol airport are not relevant land and are covered by the RTA & subject to byelaws?

Yep.

My current thoughts are to keep my ws on point & not make hundreds of points about whether a contract exists between VCS and the airport & whether they have planning permission for their signage.

Lack of PP, by the letter of the law, means their case should be chucked out, but in practice that's not the case.

However, we have seen a hell of a lot of cases where the judge has picked up on no valid contract being produced.  That could be one of your aces and it would be madness not to include it.

Edited by FTMDave
Typos

That is a cracking WS.  Well done.

If I'm being ultra pernickety ...

In (10) you refer to VCS's charge as a "fine", but it isn't, it's an invoice.

I think it would be more logical to place (9.1.1) and (9.1.2) in your (10) FRUSTRATION OF CONTRACT section.

Similarly (10.1) would be better at the end of your (5) NO KEEPER LIABILITY section.

As I say, pernickety ...

So stick in a new 5.5 paragraph in your already-excellent WS to hammer this point home.

You should wait till the last minute before sending yours in the hope of being able to ridicule VCS's, or alternatively point out to the court that they haven't sent a WS.  On the 20th I would e-mail the court their copy and send Simon his by 1st class post.

You're right, Ambreen has produced the usual copy & paste tripe.

Some changes immediately come to mind.  New 5.4 -

5.4  The vehicle is on a fleet policy with more than 20 drivers.  The Claimant has just assumed that I was the driver during the incident in question without any proof.

Obviously change for accuracy.

in your section 9, cut out all the points up to and including 9.3 and substitute with -

9. The Claimant seeks recovery of the original £100 charge plus an additional £70 described as “debt collection costs”.  No further justification or breakdown has been provided as required under the Civil Procedure Rule 16.4.

9.1  In paras 36 and 37 of her Witness Statement, the Claimant's paralegal makes great play of the fact that the trade association the Claimant belongs to allows a debt recovery charge and that "the sum must not exceed £60".  The Claimant has added £70 so on their own admittance has broken their trade association code of practice.

9.2.  In reality is it legislation, not the Claimant's trade association, which decides what is reasonable and lawful.  Section 9 of the new government Code of Practice, published on 7 February 2022, and based on the Parking (Code of Practice) Act 2019 regulates the matter of recovery costs:

"The Parking operator must not levy additional costs over and above the level of a parking charge or parking tariff as originally issued".

9.2.1  Section 5.3 of the new Code of Practice states the following:“The provisions of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 relate specifically to the parking of vehicles on relevant land and the recovery of parking charges – they arose from the need to respect landowner’s interests given the prohibition on wheel clamping, and so largely envisage circumstances where a wheel-clamp may otherwise have been applied i.e to a stationary, generally unoccupied, vehicle.  However, this Code also applies to instances where the prohibition on stopping arises from a clear security concern e.g within airports.  Parking operators must only pursue parking charges in instances that could be interpreted as stopping if they have explicit consent to do so on evidenced security or safety grounds from their conformity assessment body, following audit of the adequacy of the signs and surface markings in place to inform drivers of the restrictions in place“.

9.2.2.  Section 7.2 of the new CoP, defines explicitly, when photographic evidence should be used to serve notice: "Care must be taken to ensure that photographic evidence from camera vehicles is only used to serve a notice of
parking charge in respect of parked vehicles, not vehicles whose drivers have momentarily stopped e.g. to check directions or an address within a business park”.

9.2.3.  The publication of this Code therefore marks the start of an adjustment period in which parking companies will be expected to follow as many of these new rules as possible.  The Code will then come into full force before 2024, when the single appeals service is expected to be in operation.  This indicates that the new CoP should be adhered to now, where possible, but clearly VCS are choosing to ignore these new rules, and continuing to go about their business as normal, regardless of the law.

9.3.  Even before publication of the government's Code of Practice, Parliament intended that private parking companies could not invent extra charges.  The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4, paragraph 4(5) states that "The maximum sum which may be recovered from the keeper is the amount specified in the Notice to Keeper" - so in this case £100.

All your points from 9.4. are fine as they are.

More later.  Work calls.

If you want a laugh - and to plant in the judge's mind that they are liars - stick in two new paragraphs between FRUSTRATION OF CONTRACT and CONCLUSION.

11.  Ambreen Arshad is being rather disingenuous (Claimant's Witness Statement para 40) when she says she "may" not be able to attend the hearing.  I have researched scores of VCS cases and neither she nor Mr Mohammed Wali (the other paralegal employed by VCS to write their Witness Statements) have ever appeared in court.  This is particularly striking as during the pandemic hearings were on the telephone or on-line with no travelling involved.  In no circumstances do VCS want their Witness Statement authors to appear in a person at a hearing where they could be questioned.

12.  In a number of recent cases VCS have claimed to have not received the Defendant's Witness Statement, although the Defendant had proof of posting.  I fully expect this trick to be tried in my case.

• I agree 1

2 hours ago, Lazy farmer said:

I'm not great with MS Word so the numbering & pagination will need tidying once the draft is complete.

No worries, we'll help out.

2 hours ago, Lazy farmer said:

My copied defence also lists Parking Eye v Beavis 2015 - is this a bad idea?

Are you sure?  Didn't you file the standard short defence?

It's not a problem at all as you & Simon are using different parts of the judgement.

VCS are saying that the judge found that a contract had been entered into and that the £85 (now £100) was payable.

You're saying the judge said the £85 (now £100) was the maximum that could be charged.

You're both right about different parts of the judgement.

If you want to make it crystal clear that you understand the judgement and are using it in its entirety, unlike Simon, then change your paragraph to -

9.4. Previous parking charge cases have found that the parking charge itself is at a level to include the costs of recovery.  In para 24 of their Witness Statement the Claimant quotes Parking Eye Ltd vs Beavis (2015) UKSC 67 and the fact that the judge held that the parking invoice of £85 was payable.  They omit that Beavis is the authority for recovery of the parking charge itself and no more, since that sum (£85) was held to already incorporate the costs of an automated private parking business model and the Supreme Court Judges held that a parking firm not in possession cannot plead any part of their case in damages.  It is indisputable that an alleged ”parking charge” penalty is a sum which the Supreme Court found is already inflated to more than comfortably cover all costs. The case provides a finding of fact by way of precedent, that the £85 (or up to a Trade Body ceiling of £100 depending on the parking firm) covers the costs of the letters. Since 2019, many County Courts have considered claims in excess of £100 to be an abuse of process leading to them being struck out ab initio. An example, in the Caernarfon Court in VCS v Davies, case No. FTQZ4W28 on 4th September 2019, District Judge Jones-Evans stated ''Upon it being recorded that District Judge Jones-Evans has over a very significant period of time warned advocates [...] in many cases of this nature before this court that their claim for £60 is unenforceable in law and is an abuse of process and is nothing more than a poor attempt to go behind the decision of the Supreme Court v Beavis which inter alia decided that a figure of £160 as a global sum claimed in this case would be a penalty and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and therefore unenforceable in law and if the practice continued, he would treat all cases as a claim for £160 and therefore a penalty and unenforceable in law it is hereby declared [...] the claim is struck out and declared to be wholly without merit and an abuse of process."

Edited by FTMDave
Layout improved

That is a cracking WS.  Well done.  I wouldn't change a single word.

What might be an idea though is to swap ABUSE OF PROCESS and FRUSTRATION OF CONTRACT round. 

FRUSTRATION OF CONTRACT is IMO more important, if accepted their whole claim goes in the bin.

Whereas ABUSE OF PROCESS is quibbling about how much you would have to pay were you bang to rights.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-parking-code-of-practice/private-parking-code-of-practice#annex-f-exempt-vehicle-cases-no-stopping-zones-and-appeals

Scroll down to Annex F, F1, g. 

I reckon you could use that to beef up FRUSTRATION OF CONTRACT.  if you do so mention it is Annex F, F1, g of the government Code of Practice introduced in February this year under the Parking (Code of Practice) Act 2019.

The current legal situation is that the Code is temporarily withdrawn because the fleecers are legally challenging (a) the amount of their invoices allowed and (b) debt collection charges, they are not challenging Annex F.  In any case as VCS act like the CoP doesn't exist they are hardly likely to bring up this technicality.

Well spotted. 

By all means include this extra clause and link it your pre-booking.  Can't harm you.  The judge may well agree, but even if the judge disagrees then you've lost nothing by trying.

The bye-laws are a good idea too.  These are the laws that cover the airport, not something made up by a grubby private parking company.  Had you done something wrong - of course you didn't - but had you then it should be the police involved and a fine in a magistrates' court.

Thanks for uploading the bye-laws, this will be very useful for others in the same position.

Great, ive swapped the headers

I fear I might have expressed myself badly.

I didn't mean just the headers.

I meant that point 10 (with header FRUSTRATION OF CONTRACT) should go before points 9 to 9.8 (with header ABUSE OF PROCESS).

I don't think this changes much.  Firstly Ambreen isn't very convincing.  Secondly, even if the judge accepts her arguments the only point she will have undermined is your (5) section about keeper liability/POFA.  All your other points remain.

In fact it's weird that, when given the chance to have another go, she didn't even attempt to challenge any of your other points, even that she admits VCS broke their IPC Code of Practice by adding £70 Unicorn Food Tax when £60 is the maximum in the CoP!  She could have at least claimed it was a typo or that the IPC have increased the amount.

Oh, and monies they make are "heavily reinvested" in the site, are they?  They're "invested" in Simon's beer money!

• Like 1