• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Quick Car Credit/First Response Finance - faulty car .

I got a car in Nov 2020 from quick car credit

had nothing but problems since having it which got sorted by quick car credit

now the engine has the oil warning light on it and its now dangerous to drive

been told my 4 different garages its best to just get a new engine as its a common fault with these cars

first response are telling me to get a diagnosis of the fault and report it to them but they won't help with the costs as its £500 alone just to strip the engine to find what's gone on it.

Quick car credit will not help as they say its out of warranty with themselves.

I have been in contact with 3 solicitors ive been told to tell them they are going against my consumers credit act section 75 as its not 12 months and I just get them fobbing me off with we are talking about that act we are talking about this act. 

I need to know where I stand with this any help I would be grateful for.

I've been told by all garages it's a oil pressure and the garage it is in now they are telling me its got oil pressure but not enough that it needs to remain fully working engine and its just easier to replace the whole engine. 

I told the dealer and they are just telling me its not up to them now as ive had it over 6 months so it's out of their warranty 

I'm just stuck with a car I can't use and I haven't had it over 12 months yet I have a warranty with another company called A1 Approved

all parties say I cant do anything unless I paid for it to be diagnosed to see what is wrong with it

meaning they want to strip the engine

I just don't know where I'm going with

this its causing me more stress than what's needed 😭

As they are all saying its not against my rights and all first response can do is offer me a loan to fix it or replace the engine of up to 75% but I have to diagnose it first 

• dx100uk changed the title to Quick Car Credit/First Response Finance - faulty car .

Yes it is hire purchase I paid £200 deposit as they took my other car as part exchange for £200 so all together £400 

Ford focus 2013 ecoboost turbo when brought mileage was 68,759 miles its now at 74 something miles ive just about 6k miles in it since purchased 

Dealers are quickcarcredit 

Brought the car for 6k paying first response 10k back 

Found out the car is only worth £4,895 in value 

Sorry forgot to include that 26th Nov 2020 I never got to look at the car only saw picture and it got dropped off to me before it even got a finance agreement on it. I got hassled by the dealership all day until I purchased the car now feel mugged off as they wouldn't leave me alone even if I said give me half an hour they would phone 20 minutes later 

They are 38 mins away from myself 

This is what I put in I went on to pictures and It gives you a picture with the court with all cars on it with the building or go onto maps it will show you the building 

Edited by Lil Worthy92

The car does not work at all. RAC breakdown attendant and the multiple garages have stated that due to the rattling, grinding sound, flickering oil warning light and the smell of burning coming from the engine bay, I have been advised that the car is unsafe to drive and is a potential hazard to drive.

First Response will not have anything to do with helping me with dealing with the trader to get the repairs done without paying a £500 diagnosis fee to the garage the car is currently at. That £500 is for a complete engine strip down to find the fault, the faulty parts and to see if the fault has been there either before we had the car or has is a recent fault since I have had it.

First Response is the company who have finance the car for a loan of 10k 

I have to go down to the garage tomorrow to pick up the report they have done for me with quotes for a new engine as they have said its a common issues with these cars and its best to just go for a new engine.

I have my RAC report from the breakdown and about the problem.

This is the document from my RAC breakdown says its unsafe to drive down to the light needs more investigation.

Quickcarcredit are very rude and not helpful at all when you bring it to their attention.

They just tell me its not their problem anymore as I had 6 months warranty with them as ive had the car over 6 months they will no longer help me with any issues.

Quick car credit got me the finance with first response, well pressured me in to accepting the finance and the car.

11599511-20210624-00-41-57.pdf

I spoke to solicitors as I wanted some advice because everyone is telling me that quick car credit aint going against any of my rights. I don't know what to do ive been told to open an complaint with first response. 

This is the document with A1 Approved about warranty. When I asked quick car credit they told me this warranty is just a free one they give out with all cars. 

I didnt get this until my car started going wrong after i took delivery of the car when i just kept getting told to go to these but at first they didnt register the car with this warranty until not long after they did repairs because we kept going back to quickcarcredit a1_approved_validation_certificate_541882.pdf

Thank you its not very good as they caused me to have a breakdown as I haven't had use of a car and being told its unsafe for them which got to me as I've had my children in the car.

I will be putting the report from the garage up tomorrow as soon as I have it 

Thank you I will get that email off two both.

I hope this helps you not feel lost 

first response is the company who provided the hire purchase they provided quick car credit the funds for the car.

Quick car credit they are the ones who supplied the car to me before they even got the funds for the car.

I hope that helps 

Sorry about that I had a reply from first response this is their reply 

Thank you for your email. I regret to hear that you remain dissatisfied with the situation and with our processes, however the information I have requested from you is in line with what is stated in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

As you state below you collected the vehicle on 26th November 2020 and first experienced issues on 22nd June 2021. This is 6 months and 27 days after collecting the vehicle. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that after owning the vehicle for 6 months, the burden of proof lies on the consumer to prove that the reported defect was present at the time of sale.

Furthermore, if you are able to prove the current faults were present at the point of sale, you may be entitled to a repair of the fault (if economical) rather than to reject the vehicle.

I have reviewed the attached RAC report and this states that any diagnosis made by their patrols is a suspected diagnosis should be verified by your repairing garage. There is also nothing to suggest that the current faults were present on the vehicle o the date of sale. Based on this I am unable to accept the RAC report as proof that the current faults were present at the time of sale.

I understand this is not the response you were hoping for, however I will still require evidence that the current faults were present at the time of sale before I am able to confirm that your Consumer Rights have bene breached.

If I do not receive an inspection report from a local garage by the end of the week I shall have no alternative but to close your complaint, until such a time as I receive this information.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Jay

What do I do now 

Thank you bankfodder with all your help im phoning the garage in the hope they do have the report ready for me and £500 is to just strip my engine completely to find where the fault is and what it is yes every garage I have spoke to have said £500 I'm just lost 

I will do have another reply from first response 

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your email reply.

I understand your point, and I do sympathise with your situation, however the Consumer Rights Act requires a vehicle to be of satisfactory quality at the point of sale, and if it is not then the dealership and ourselves are quite rightly responsible to rectify the matter. Unfortunately after owning the vehicle for 6 months you will need to prove the vehicle was not of satisfactory quality at the point of sale. Part of doing this is finding out what the problem is in order to determine how long it has been present for.

Once we receive a report confirming what the current fault is, and how long it has bene present on the vehicle for, we can assess your Consumer Rights accurately