• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg card agreement has been terminated

HP Mum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try this:

Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your letter dated xxxxxx.

In the course of preparing a County Court Claim on behalf of your client, ARC (Europe) Ltd, you will have become aware that the debt claimed by your client is disputed by me.

My reasons for disputing the debt, as both you and your client are fully aware, are set out in my letters xxxxxxx inclusive. As you know, paragraph 2.8 k. of the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance of July 2003, updated in December 2006, makes it clear that collection activity must cease whilst investigating a disputed debt. I look forward to the results of your investigation.

In the event that the dispute between Egg Banking plc and myself is put before a court for adjudication, I will draw the court’s attention to the following points.

3a

Both you and your client. ARC (Europe) Ltd, although fully aware that the debt is disputed, have continued collection activity in breach of paragraph 2.8k. of the OFT Debt Collection Guidance.

3b.

Both you and your client have ignored and disregarded the fact, of which both you and your client are fully aware, that the debt claimed by Egg Banking plc is disputed by me, and both you and your client have continued to make unjustified demands for payment, in breach of paragraphs 2.6h. and 2.8i. of the OFT Debt collection Guidance.

3c.

Both you and your client have communicated with me in a manner which presents information in such a way that it creates a false or misleading impression, and exploits my lack of knowledge, for example, my lack of knowledge of the law in relation to your own. Specifically, I am referring to your letter dated xxxxxx in which you suggest that the issue of court proceedings may mean that the amount I owe your client will increase. You also state that I can stop the claim being issued and the debt increasing by paying some money to your client. You also state that your client will provide information about my financial affairs to Credit Reference Agencies, and that this may seriously affect my ability to obtain credit in the future. I consider that this amounts to unfair business practice, psychological harassment and a misrepresentation of the correct legal position within the terms of paragraphs 2.2b, 2.3, 2.6f, 2.10a, 2.10b of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines, and would also be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998.

3d

I also consider your client’s actions amount to psychological harassment within the terms of section 2.6h. of the OFT Guidelines, in that your client has ignored and disregarded the fact that I have reasonably queried and disputed the debt.

3e

I also consider that the way in which your client has exercised his rights under the agreement amount to an unfair relationship in terms of section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as amended by the Consumer Credit Act 2006.

As the solicitors acting for ARC (Europe) Ltd you will be aware that the credit card agreement between Egg and myself is governed by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, therefore I would be grateful if you would indicate to me the relevant section of the Act which provides Egg with legal entitlement to terminate my Egg agreement with effect from 6th March 2008.

In the event that this matter is put before a court I will draw the court’s attention to the manner in which Trevor Munn Solicitors have dealt with the dispute between Egg Banking plc and myself, particularly in relation to,

The Consumer Credit Act 1974,

The Data Protection Act 1998,

The Office of Fair Trading Guidance on Debt Collection and Unfair Business Practices (Updated December 2006),

The Solicitors’ Code of Conduct 2007,

The Credit Services Association Code Of Practice.

I am confident that Egg, or the parties acting on behalf of Egg including yourself, will, as I will, provide to the court full records of the matters to which I have referred, including copies of my letters xxxxxxx.

Yours faithfully

"My reasons for disputing the debt, as both you and your client are fully aware, are set out in my letters xxxxxxx inclusive"

I have just been writing the templates about where is their legal entitlement to terminate my Agreement. I know I'm sounding stupid (am v tired) - but is this the reason why they should be aware I am disputing the debt ?

Dicky - I'm slow today - Do you mean there is a story in the news today about some sort of group action from 1 Jan ?

thank you...

PS - I have never sent a cca request to Egg. Do you think I should do this now ?

I can only tell you what I would do/have done.

My experience is that it wont really be useful to your case. - Egg will just send you a copy of your agreement. It may well have certain technical irregularites, but it will be of a sufficent nature for Egg to put to a court.

I contrast with, for example Halifax or Morgan Stanley, who usually cannot provide a proper copy, if they do it is usually unreadable (which is illegal), so there is usually some useful stuff to be obtained from asking Halifax or Morgan Stanley for CCA.

But in your Egg situation (same as mine) the matter totally revolves around Egg's unlawful termination of your Egg credit card agreement. I suggest you totally focus on that. Egg cannot get around it.

"My reasons for disputing the debt, as both you and your client are fully aware, are set out in my letters xxxxxxx inclusive"

I have just been writing the templates about where is their legal entitlement to terminate my Agreement. I know I'm sounding stupid (am v tired) - but is this the reason why they should be aware I am disputing the debt ?

No. The reason I hve put that bit in about "My reasons for disputing the debt, as both you and your client are fully aware, are set out in my letters xxxx inclusive" is a bit tongue in cheek -Im sort of having a little joke at their expensive - you might as well get as much humour as possible out of these situations!

The point is this: Although I have said " as you and your client are fully aware", in fact I know that they wont be fully aware, in fact they wont be aware at all what are my (i.e. your) reasons for disputing the debt. - because I am 99% certain that they will not have copies of the letters I (i.e. you) have been writing since Egg terminated my (your) agreement.

Do you see the difficult and embarrising situation that puts them in? When the read the letter, they will suddenly realise that they dont actually know what the dispute between you and Egg is actually about. All they know is that you have told them - in no uncertain terms - that there is a dispute between you and Egg. If they write to you asking for further details of the dispute etc. - just refer them to the letters. Say it is all contained in your letters. It is'nt your problem that they havent got copies of them, and that they actually dont really know what the dispute is about.

Well I find it amusing anyway.

That is the same reason that I ended the template letter sayin that I have full confidence that if the matter goes to court, I am sure that they, as I will, will be able to provide full copies of my letters to the court. Again, I am 99% certain they wont have any copies of the letters!

Can you see the awkaward situation they potentially are in if they want to take it to court?

If you dont understand what I mean, tell me and I will try to explain it a bit better.

Ok. I get it. I guess then that I should maybe put in a date range, "as set out in my letters to Egg from Oct 08-Nov 09 inclusive, for example. Rather than adding "as set out in my 2 last letters sent to Arc in Sept and Nov.

Am about to draft and print, ready to go to PO tomorrow...

Ok. I get it. I guess then that I should maybe put in a date range, "as set out in my letters to Egg from Oct 08-Nov 09 inclusive, for example. Rather than adding "as set out in my 2 last letters sent to Arc in Sept and Nov.

Am about to draft and print, ready to go to PO tomorrow...

That correct. You've got it. Include reference numbers of every letter right from the beginning of the dispute. But dont tell them what is in each letter. -We know they have'nt got any of them, but that is not your problem. Act as if you believe they are very professional and totally competent and have kept careful records of all your correspondence. Of course, we know they haven't got any copies at all, and they dont know what your complaint is really about, They dont understand your legal questions, and they are relying on bluffing and bullying you. They cant believe that you actually might understand the legal position and the CCA. In other words they think you are stupid and frightened and are an easy target for them.

Well this is interesting ! confusing !

Today I have had a response from ARC to a letter I sent 1 week ago. It appears that they have completely ignored me (and my reply to Munn solicitors has crossed in the post).

I sent a letter to ARC saying "I was concerned they had chosen not to provide a response to my questions .... where is the section in the CCA 74 which allows Egg to terminate my agreement" etc etc

They have replied:

"Our client (egg) has requested that you write to their Customer Relations Office to resolve your dispute.

We are instructed that the above balance remains outstanding and must be paid." Payment to be sent to ARC, full financial statement etc within 14 days or passed back to Trevor Munn....

I had already received a strong threatening letter from solicitors Trevor Munn a few days ago. I specialed a letter to them yesterday, as outlined in a post on the last page.

So what to do now ? Wait for a reply from the solicitors ? Write to Egg ?

I have not written anything to Egg since last year. Just been dealing with the various dcas and now solicitors.

I am obviously being given the run around. With ARC dca and Munn solicitors writing to me it is confusing to know who to now respond to. Now ARC say I should deal directly with Egg.

SO WHAT IS BEST !!! ???

They have replied:

"Our client (egg) has requested that you write to their Customer Relations Office to resolve your dispute.

We are instructed that the above balance remains outstanding and must be paid." Payment to be sent to ARC, full financial statement etc within 14 days or passed back to Trevor Munn....

Is this a direct admission that even though the account is in dispute but they are continuing collections?

FTD

This is what I would send;

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your letter dated xxxxx.

I will be in a position to respond to the points raised in your letter after ARC has provided me with a response to the points raised by me in my letter dated xxxxxx which was delivered to ARC by Post Office Special Delivery on xxxxxx.

I am very concerned that ARC has chosen not to provide a response to the points raised by me in my letter.

As ARC will be aware, the main point raised by me In my letter is that I have requested ARC to indicate to me the relevant section of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which provides Egg with entitlement to terminate my Egg Agreement with effect from 6th March 2008. To date both Egg and ARC have failed to provide me with the information I have requested. I consider that my request is very clearly understandable and is directly related to Egg's decision to terminate it’s contractual agreement with me with effect from 6th March 2008. As stated previously, as soon as ARC provides me with the information I have requested, I will be in a position to respond to the matters which have been raised by ARC in it’s letters dated xxxxx.

In the event that ARC has lost my letter I enclose a copy with this letter.

In the event that the dispute between Egg Banking and ARC and Trevor Munn Solicitors and myself is put before a court for adjudication I will ask the court to make an order under Section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in respect of the way in which Egg and ARC and Trevor Munn Solicitors have exercised their rights under the terms of the Egg Agreement between Egg Banking and myself.

In particular, I will draw the court's attention to the following matters.

1. Egg and ARC and Tevor Munn Solictors have repeatedly chosen to ignore my requests for information as outlined above and as requested in my letter dated xxxxx.

2. I will draw the court's attention to the tactic being employed by ARC used whereby I am being asked to deal with ARC and Egg and Trevor Munn solictors simultaneously. Each of the parties I have named are engaged in debt collection activities in relation to my Egg Agreement. For example, ARC, although claiming to be authorised by Egg to act on behalf of Egg in respect of the dispute between Egg and myself, has, in it's letters dated 29th October 2009 and November 17th 2009, advised me to direct my enquiries regarding the dispute to Egg. At the same time I am, as you will be fully aware, receiving letters from your solictors, Trevor Munn.

As you and Egg and your solicitors, Trevor Munn, will be fully aware this is clearly in breach of the Debt Collection Guidance issued by the Office Of Fair Trading which, in Section 2.6c, prohibits the use of more than one debt collection business as the same time.

In respect of these matters, and others, I will request the court to determine if the relationship between Egg and myself arising out of my Egg Agreement, and the way in which Egg and ARC and Trevor Munn Solicitors have exercised their rights under the Egg Agreement, has created an unfair relationship between Egg Banking and ARC and Trevor Munn Solicitors and myself, and i will request the court to make an appropriate Order under Section 140 of the Act.

Yours faithfully

I'm glad you noticed the Monument thing - that is because I am having a dispute with them as well. I get them mixed up!

By the way, although it looks similar, it is not the same letter as you sent to Trevor Munn.

Read it carefully, and you will see something new. i.e the matter of being asked to deal with Egg and ARC and Trevor Munn all at the same time is not allowed by OFT Debt Collection Guidelines.

Regards

I did not read it thoroughly - will do so later. In the middle of a complaint to Thames Water ! Battling everyone at the moment. And it feels very good to be dealing with them all head on, with a knowledgable base built from CAG :)

But thank you for this insight. It is so useful. Will deal with this demain...