• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hermes found £3000 lost guitar and then offered expenses!!! Bravo Hermes!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What is the value?

Thank you.

You're absolutely right to wait for the formal result of your claim/complaint – but we all know that you will be knocked back.

On that basis you will have absolutely to send a letter of claim followed by a claim in the County Court.

We may as well move it on as quickly as possible so you may as well be completely prepared. There is no point in mucking around.

Please spend the next few days reading up the various stories on this sub- forum which mostly relate to Hermes – but whether you sue Hermes or P2G, the story will be the same and so will the process that you will have to go through.

The only thing which will make a difference it would be the value – at £2800 – +8% interest from the moment that it failed to arrive at its destination – and this will make a value which could possibly prompt them in to actually going to court rather than simply settling at mediation.
The downside for them is that of course that they will be relying on the fact that you failed to take out insurance. I have a sense also that musical instruments may be on their prohibited items list – and they may attempt to rely on that as well as a justification for having lost it!!

Anyway, please read up the stories and you will soon understand the principles – particularly in relation to the unfairness/unenforceability of the insurance requirement and also the absurdity of trying to rely on a prohibited items list in order to defend having lost your guitar.

When you had your knockback from P2G, let us know and we can sort out the letter of claim and a draft particulars of claim.

If you haven't done this kind of thing before then also read up on this forum about the steps involved taking a small claim in the County Court because that is where you going to go. I suppose there might be a stab at mediation so read up some of the excellent mediation stories here as well.

In fact if you want we can get a letter of claim prepared straightaway so that you can respond without a moment's delay and get things rolling.

If that appeals to you then once you have done the bits of reading, draft a letter of claim and post it here and will see what happens.

By the way, if you have come over from one of the Facebook groups then if you think things are being well handled here, do let them know. Also reassure them that it's all free and there are no funny tricks.

I'm very disappointed at the Facebook groups – they operate for the most part in private so people can't see what's going on and it seems to me that they are all talking shops and eventually people get fatigued and give up.
They are all well-intentioned and I suppose there are good meeting place for people who fall victims to Hermes et cetera but they don't really cut the mustard

The cost of the insurance against the value of the item is simply a distraction. Don't get diverted by that.

The principle is clear, in my view, that it is unfair to expect any you has to insure against the negligent/breach of contract/criminality of the service provider.
Have a look at the unfair terms provisions in the consumer rights act.

If you start arguing as to whether or not it's good value, then effectively you are recognising the validity of the insurance and the enforceability of the requirement.

Actually I hadn't looked at it in that way in that you are being invited or pressurised to take out a second contract. I had always seen it as part of the main contract – and so what you are saying is very interesting and needs some thinking about.

However, the principal contract, I believe, makes it clear that if you don't take out the second contract then they won't cover you.

At the end of the day it's probably all academic but it's a very interesting way for you to express it.

And yes, you have understood it correctly.

In terms of who are you more likely to succeed against, I don't think I'm able to express an opinion.

Is the contract of insurance with Hermes or with P2G?

Okay in that case sue Hermes.
I realise that you didn't have any insurance. I was worried that you were going to start justifying not having insurance on the basis that it was too expensive. If you raised that issue then as I've already suggested, you would be validating the principle of the insurance requirement.
I'm actually wondering whether if you sue Hermes on the basis of your third party rights in respect of the contract between P2G and Hermes, that if for some reason or other it goes wrong, you can get a second bite of the cherry and sue on the principal contract between you and P2G.
I suppose I wouldn't rate your chances very highly if you failed the first time – but it's a thought.

Well that's an amazing story. Well done.

If you would like to sue for the delivery charges and also your petrol and mileage for going to get it, then we are happy to help you. The chances of winning are much better than 95% and it would be fun to do – but it's up to you.

I'm very pleased that you had this result. Very extraordinary. Great news.

Let us know if you want to get your expenses. Frankly Hermes need a slap.

• Like 2

I feel so angry. I was so looking forward to begin another legal action against them and forcing them to waste all that money defending another no-hoper.
Now they've offered you all of your expenses.
I hate it when that happens

Next thing you know they'll be doing T-shirts

I ❤️ Hermes!

• Haha 1

• BankFodder changed the title to Hermes found £3000 lost guitar and then offered expenses!!! Bravo Hermes!!!