• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Mouldy car from Evans Halshaw Newcastle

Hi,

Looking for some advice and info on our rights if possible please.

We purchased a car last week from a branch of Evans Halshaw https://www.evanshalshaw.com/ . It’s a 3 year old Kia with 17K miles on the clock and cost £6707. We did this as a distance sale without viewing the car or visiting the dealer. The dealer is quite a distance away from us. We responded to an  Autotrader  advert and did the transaction over the phone and by email.

We asked lots of questions about the condition of the car and the dealer sent images etc. The only problem that the dealer highlighted to us was a small stone chip on the bonnet and the car was otherwise described as very good condition with no issues, as you’d expect for a car with so few miles that’s still under warranty (Kia warranty is 7 years).

We agreed to go ahead and paid for the car via bank transfer as they wouldn’t take a card payment.

The car was delivered on a trailer to our work address by the dealer, the cost for which was included in the price. We weren’t there and a colleague signed for it to say it had been received.

When we inspected the car (a few hours after it was delivered) we noticed a very large area of mould growing in the boot. We’d specifically asked if there was any stains, marks etc on the interior (and have this on email) and was told there were not. We contacted the dealer to make them aware of the situation and they were going to organise for a local Evans Halshaw branch to clean it which, although not ideal would have been acceptable to us as we thought something may have just been spilt in there.

During the rest of the (quite rainy) day the car was parked up outside in a car park along with a number of other cars. At some point we noticed that the windows were steaming up and covered in moisture on the inside. The other cars around it were bone dry on the inside. We relayed this info to the dealer and they said the local branch would sort it.

That night after some thought and Googling on the possible causes, we decided that we didn’t want to get involved in having to track down the potential causes of this dampness which may not be a straight forward task and could

possibly involve a process of elimination and dismantling the car.

We then contacted the dealer and informed them we wanted to reject the car due to it not being as described and cancel the contract. They seem to think we only have the right to reject the car in a 14 day cooling off period if we paid by finance. And because it’s a car, the Distance Selling Regulations / Consumer Contracts Regulations don’t apply.

After some debate they’ve agreed as a “good will gesture” to take the car back but want us to pay for the car to be returned as that’s what’s in their terms and conditions. We believe that that this cost should fall to them as the fault wasn’t described to us, this was a distance sale and the regulations take precedent over any terms they may have.

Please can someone confirm what our rights are here? And if I’m correct and it is there responsibility to bear the return cost, any links to relevant regulations I can point them to would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm not really a Big Fat Greedy Banker so please don't treat me like one. ;)

they are wrong.

2 hours ago, BigFatGreedyBanker said:

Evans Halshaw

should know better!!

tell them they have 2 options

return the car sorted

or 

dont bother returning the car at all .

under your short term right to reject

the issue was reported within 14 days, and under consumer regulations , you are quite correct that you don't need ANY reason to return it.

within 30 days you can return it for any reason 'not fit for purpose' and get a full refund under both circumstances.

have you involved the finance company?

if it's on HP don't forget it's THEIR CAR not yours!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply and the link.

The car was paid by bank transfer so there’s no finance company to speak of.

In the link it states...

///////

8 Whether or not the consumer has a duty to return the rejected goods, the trader must bear any 

reasonable costs of returning them, other than any costs incurred by the consumer in returning the 

goods in person to the place where the consumer took physical possession of them.

///////

This is exactly as I understood it but I can’t see any reference to where in the regulations it states that. I assume it’s in there somewhere, but where?

Ignore me, I see there’s a link to the original at the bottom.

Thanks.

I'm not really a Big Fat Greedy Banker so please don't treat me like one. ;)

bank transfer is the worst way to pay for anything

it virtually removes any recourse through your bank.

ALWAYS USE A DEBIT CARD OR EVEN BETTER A CREDIT CARD EVEN BY PART PAYMENT.>£100

opps caps sorry.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Minimise your problem.

Get rid of the car now whatever it takes. 

We'll help you go after the cost afterwards. 

Paid by bank transfer.  Bravo. 

autotrader