• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

caro v YB - defence & counterclaim ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well - I've started. Got my statements from Yorkshire Bank, although they tried to get £5.00 per sheet, but offered to do the lot for £50.00 instead of the £375.00 it "should" be. I wrote back sending a £10 PO and reminded them it was a request under the DPA so they sent every statement I ever had (left them 3 years ago).

They have not sent any information on any manual interventions, or confirmed that there weren't any. Should I chase them up on this, or can I assume that there weren't any and start claiming back over £1,900 (plus interest)?

I have looked in the FAQ's but can't see anything on this. Any help would be appreciated.

This is so exciting. REVENGE AT LAST!!!!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Trundlecat. Good luck to you too.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for you folks.

Checked all the credit reference agencies and everything OK there, including the joint stuff with hubby.

Thought long and hard about interest, and looked at various discussion threads. I decided to claim all of the overdraft interest, because the charges are much more than my overdraft ever was. I am not claiming any for the 3 years since I closed the account. YB only ever sent statements so I assume there was no manual intervention.

So I have got my preliminary requests for payment ready to drop in the letterbox at the branch tomorrow giving them 14 days to pay up. I rather hope they don't pay because I will get loads more if I can claim the 8% if I need to make a moneyclaim.

Charges £2,902.00 Interest £185.58 :lol:

I still can't believe I will get it, but everything on this site says I should.

By the way I am also sending a similar letter to Alliance and Leicester for £177.00 tomorrow.

Couldn't agree more TC. We can have one hell of a party when we get our money back:lol::lol::lol:

I actually dropped my preliminary request letter off at the branch after close of business yesterday. Happened to be walking past about 9.30 this morning and had visions of them opening my letter and the manager etc being gobsmacked at my nerve. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall! Can't wait for 14 days to be up. After some trepidation I am ready and eager for the fight now. It is sooo exciting.

:D

I am not expecting a good response. I really want to file a claim because the 8% interest would add an extra £1000 + to my claim.;)

I have been following yours and trunny's claims with interest and feel like I almost know you. Keep us all posted and good luck.

Received a letter today in response to my preliminary request for payment, from Neil McKirdy, dated 24 May. Pretty standard stuff.

Thank you for your letter dated 18 May 2006 received today, which has been passed to me for my attention.

As you will appreciate , I need to make investigations into the points you have raised. In the meantime, I thank you for your patience in this matter and I will contact you as soon as my investigations are complete.

I have enclosed for your information a copy of our internal Complaint Handling Procedures. These procedures confirm how to pursue your complaint and how to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service if we cannot resolve the matter.

Yours sincerely

This seemed to follow others experience on the site and I was thinking it took a while for the letter to reach them and started chuntering about Royal Mail taking 6 days to deliver a letter. Obviously I am not worried about YB's time scales as I gave them 14 days, so OK, LBA to be sent on 7th June.

But then I had a light bulb moment. I delivered the letter to the branch by hand myself and so it was received in the branch on 18th May. Unless I am mistaken they have 14 days from then. So unless they surprise me and agree to cough up without a murmur, LBA to be sent on 1st June. Going by the latest posts in this forum I think it may not be too easy, but they made my life hell when they were taking my limited income, and now I am ready to fight back

Now I have had a response I really feel like I have started in earnest with my claim. Over £3,000 is a life changing amount for me so I am absolutely determined.

Have you thought about trying to go back further as suggested by BankFodder somewhere? What have you got to lose?:rolleyes:

Just finished preparing my LBA ready to post off tomorrow. I am sending it to Neil McKirdy. Just a tiny bit worried that DPA and prelim went to the branch, but as the prelim was passed to him for his attention, I think that should be OK. I have been a bit slow sendind LBA, but after the Tonight programme I thought I had better get things sorted quickly as I think the banks might be about to get busier.:p

He obviously hasn't got enough to keep him busy at the moment. I've a feeling after the Tonight programme last night the banks will be struggling to keep up with all the new claims.

Don't you feel sorry for them. Umm - NO!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Ah thanks for that. Hope all goes well for you too. Have a good look at the FAQ's and you will soon get a handle on what you need to do. Start your own thread too and then we can all follow your progress and answer any questions that you can't find answered elsewhere.

YOU WILL GET YOUR REVENGE!!!!:D

Think I will pop a copy of my LBA to the branch too to be on the safe side when if comes to doing Moneyclaim. Thanks for the advice.:cool:

Got my sod off letter today in response to my LBA. Some of it looked familiar and after checking is taken straight from the defence YB have put in against Rachel's mum.

The final para advises that I should write to the Bank's Customer Relations Manager (as per the complaints leaflet procedure) at the address in Glasgow.

The letter came from this address and was signed....

Neil McKirdy

Customer Relations Manager

So I should complain to the person who is saying sod off!! Why??

If anyone wants the full transcript I will put it in, but it's 2 pages long, so I won't bother if nobody wants it. Please feel free to ask if you want me to do it though. It might help somebody.

Time to join the YB Moneyclaimers. The club is growing fast.

Just wondering whether to send another LBA reminding them that I will take action if not resolved in 7 days. That would still be within my timetable and would show what a reasonable person I am if it gets to court. Any thoughts anyone?

Yes you're right PJ. I don't know why I am dithering like this.

I have got one worry though. I only sent LBA to Neil Mc who is in Scotland where I believe the process is different. I was going to do a copy for the branch but got my very definitely sod off letter from him first. Can I do the moneyclaim to the branch or should I do it to Neil McKirdy. Despite my good intentions I haven't got round to checking MC out, so I am relying on you and Trunny and anyone else who can help to hold my hand.:-|:lol:

You can be as fluffy as you like!:D

PS Tell me to sod off and look at the FAQ's and don't expect everyone else do the work for me!!:grin:

So even though the branch haven't had the LBA you think I will be OK to send the claim stuff there?

Thanks PJ. I'm beginning to understand why it took a while to complete your Moneyclaim, but I will get there. There's no turning back now.:p

Cheers for that Rachel. Very much appreciated I will do one to the branch and one to McKirdy then so they can't say I sent to the wrong place. I will keep posting as I go.

Bet your Mum is chuffed with how it's going.:p

Had a good read of all the info on the MCOL website today, and it's beginning to make sense. I think I will try and get it sorted tomorrow. I must confess that with YB apparently defending when they get court papers it does make it a bit scary. They won't intimidate me though, as this is now on my terms. It is really useful having a few people who are just that bit further along so I know what I can expect.

When I went over my original figures I found I had put the wrong figure down for my interest by about £30, but I will just put the correct amount. It is in their favour, so I will just be honest and say I made a mistake if they query it, and check and recheck it before putting it on MCOL. Better than them picking up on it and trying to make me look stupid. I am even beginning to understand some of the legalese. I am quite pleased about that because I was worried about that if I had to go to court, but the more I read in the FAQ's etc, the more I understand.

Ah thanks PJ. Does the defence being entered affect your court date or does it still stand?

Scrub that, I've just noticed the date was for them to defend the claim, which they have done. I guess trunny should get her defence in the next day or two as well.

What a day I am having! Those of you who know me well may notice something different about me today. I am tickled pink. Don't know if you will suss out what I am talking about. Babbling as usual.

More to the point, did my MCOL claim last night. The £120 to do it hurt, but with a bit of luck I will get it back soon. My claim request has been issued and YB has 14 days from the date they are served with the claim, to reply.

I checked out the bits of legislation I was referring to in the claim, as I didn't really understand what I was talking about, and I didn't want to sign something so important without fulling understanding it. It made perfect sense so I am ready to take on the world.:p

Bring it on Yorkshire Bank, bring it on!:mad:

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick update for my friends on the YB forum. Got YB's defence today, AQ and a counterclaim. New one on me from this bank. Not looked at it properly but from a quick glance they are saying that if I win my claim they claim it back again, because that is what my errant ways have cost them.

If I win it is because my errant ways have not cost them that much because it is made up of penalties. Is that really the best they can come up with. Pleeeease. Also a court date around August 7th I think so things are moving on.

I will try and post later when I have a bit more time and studied in more detail, but YB/Clydesdales solicitors really do seem to be coming up with a load of twaddle today.:p

Oops it wasn't a court date, it was the date for the AQ to be returned. I was trying to read, get the tea and post all at once. Not sure if they could do a counterclaim or not at this stage in your claim PJ, but it really is a joke. I think it is the first time Yorkshire Bank have made me laugh, so don't worry PJ. I will try and explain.

The defence is the usual denials that the charges are unfair, and refers to the terms and conditions that they will refer to from time to time "at trial". Ooh I'm quaking in my boots (not;) ). Deny they are unreasonable blah de blah de blah. Nothing I haven't seen or heard about on this forum before. The amount they mention is also slightly different to the one I mentioned . They say £2941.00 (like PJ's I believe, out by a few pounds). No problem, I will check my figures and send in a spreadsheet with my Allocation Questionnaire.

Bear with me now while I state the blindingly obvious but hopefully you will see why. Now if I win it will be because the charges are penalties and do not reflect the true costs to the bank. I am convinced that this is correct, so would win if it got to court.

Quote:

"COUNTERCLAIM

If, which is denied, the charges imposed by the Bank constitute a penalty or an unfair contract Term within the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, then the Bank counterclaims for the actual costs and expenses incurred by it in dealing with the Claimant and Part 20 Defendant's breach of contract in allowing her account to become over drawn or exceed her overdraft limit".

Then a few more paras about how I let myself become overdrawn (no mention that it was usually due to their charges).

Then and I quote:-

"The costs and expenses incurred by the Defendant and Part 20 Claimant resulting from the Customers' failure to keep within the agreed overdraft limit on the account amount to £2941.00".

Now correct me if I am reading this wrong but this is what I am reading. If I win £2941 because they are penalty charges, then they counterclaim £2941 because that is the amount of their costs and expenses.

Bear with me again please because I cannot quite believe the stupidity of this so need to be clear. If their costs and expenses are £2941 and they can prove it, then I will not win because it is not a penalty. Help me out here. Is that what is being said?

YB's Senior Corporate Lawyer is not earning her money. One more little gem, is on the covering letter from the court.

"The defendant has filed a counterclaim, a copy of which is enclosed with this notice. The counterclaim has not been paid, and the defendant has been advised that they must pay this within 10 days of the date of this letter, or the counterclaim will be struck out".

PMSL Times must be hard for YB.:razz:

Over to you lot. What do you think?

:D

I've sat and read that 3 times, and I STILL cannot work out what their angle of defence is.!?!

So, if you go to court, and win (which you will) because the rate at which they have been charging you has been too high, then they will counter-claim to recover this same amount because they believe they're not too high.!?

But, b' but.!? (hard to re-create a bemused stammer in writing!!) if (when!) the Judge rules that their charges ARE penalties, and therefore Unlawful, and they can't prove otherwise in the original case, HOW THE HELL ARE THEY PLANNING TO SUDDENLY CHANGE ALL THAT IN THE NEXT CASE.!?!??!??!

:razz::eek::D:shock::razz:

It's the kind of argument you'd give a person a slap for if it was down the pub!

Oh well!

I am seriously thinking of putting in my AQ that I consider that Clydesdale are contemptuous of the courts authority. How can they possibly put in a counterclaim IF I win. IF I lose there counterclaim will not happen. Surely if they disagree with the verdict it should be appealed against or they should ask for it to be overturned, or whatever happens in the small claims court. I just kept re-reading it last night but that was still how I read it.

And PJ you are quite right, let them explain it in court. If they can justify it then they can keep my money, because I won't miss what I haven't got. They are seriously underestimating us.

So they have made you an offer Geoff. That is more than I have had. How long is it since you put in your MCOL?

Don't speak too soon, but I am starting to think about the type of car that I want out of my money. Just hope the old one lasts out long enough. MOT due in October I think sooooo.......8-)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks