• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

EVRi damaged guitar i live in Scotland but claim raised in England *** Settled at mediation***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This was my first (and last!) experience using Hermes to deliver a parcel. I learnt the hard way... 

I posted a valuable item (my precious & perfect guitar) with Hermes that was delivered damaged. I paid for insurance and after an absolute nightmare getting in touch with them, then waiting 28 days, they said it is not covered.

However the recipient stated there is signs of rough handling to the package, therefore Hermes are still at fault. When I responded with this to them they replied:

..."I assure you that any damage is not a lack of care from our couriers; they take great care of all our parcels in transit. Any damage done to parcels within our delivery process will have occurred whilst being sorted by the automated, heavy machinery within one of our large depots."

Surely this does not absolve them of liability?!

I sold my guitar on ebay for £265 and have had to refund this plus the £20 postage I paid in good faith that my guitar would reach the buyer intact.

I now am out of pocket and with my once pristine guitar damaged.

I am heartbroken about it, plus the stress it's caused, was only even selling due to being a new mum and not currently working, I could cry (well I have several times). Anyway was just looking for any advice re: attempting to take further cheers.

Thank you very much for your reply! 

I definitely put the value when I purchased the insurance. I unfortunately can't remember if I stated what the item was but it would make sense that it would also request this information. (I used the oh-so-convenient ..tsk.. little machine in the shop that you just enter all the details into and it prints it out for you). I will research as to whether that was something I indeed needed to enter; if I did I certainly would have put guitar. 

I have photos of the guitar before posting but no pictures of it wrapped up unfortunately, as it didn't occur to me I'd need to do that (with being new to selling online and it being the first time I'd posted anything of value... Sigh!!) 

I do have the buyer's message stating there were signs of rough handling to the package however. 

The damage is to one of the dials (completely smashed) and a crack down the neck. 

I'm new to this site and I've been trying to use the search function to find other hermes related posts but it only brings up results for lost claims not damaged (when I try to move forward through the results it doesn't seem to let me but I'll keep trying!) 

Edited by Rubixcube

@BankFodderthank you again for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I will go through the machine procedure again today. I'm so relieved to hear you think I've got a good case against them. 

I have been sent my guitar back from the buyer and he has been refunded in full. 

I have photographs of the guitar dated day of listing on eBay and then the photos the buyer sent me of it damaged. 

Oh yes, huge lessons and I won't be putting anything of such value in the post again! 

Thanks both. 

Ok I now have photos of all of the questions the machine asks, which I will attach (I'll try this again when I'm home as I'm out just now and they're not loading). 

It does indeed ask the contents, of which I entered guitar.

And the value, for which I entered the price the buyer paid, £263.00.

I paid for cost of postage plus insurance plus signature. 

Edited by Rubixcube

Ok thanks I'll do both these things. 

Yep there's an opportunity to access the lists of prohibited and non compensated items. 

I hadn't noticed this at the time of purchase as its so small and in the corner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I'm a new mum and finding time for this is virtually impossible! 

I will attach my first draft for the Letter Before Action below (I am unsure whether I ought to include more detail or keep it brief as is). 

Many thanks once again. 

Parcel ID: 

Enquiry ref: 

Dear Sir or Madam, 

On Monday 7th September 2020 I purchased your delivery service with insurance to send a parcel sold on eBay. 

The item was received damaged by the buyer on Wednesday 9th September 2020. 

After several very time consuming and frustrating exchanges with your customer services, on 12 October 2020 Hermes finally declared that the insurance I had purchased did not offer me any compensation because the item I had posted was a guitar. I have subsequently been repeatedly denied the right to escalate/ make a formal complaint to Hermes. 

The contents of my parcel were valued at £263.00 plus the delivery fee and insurance cost totalling £16.88. 

I hereby inform you, that unless you reimburse me the above complete amount of £279.88 within 14 days, I shall issue a claim in the County court to recover this money from you, plus interest without any further notice. 

Yours Faithfully, 

The claimant used the courier service provided by the defendant courier company to send an electric guitar to a third party. The defendant company has admitted that they have damaged the item and refuse to compensate the claimant. 

The value of the item sent was £263.00. The delivery fee was £16.88. 

The claimant claims full reimbursement of £279.88 (item value plus delivery fee plus insurance cost) plus interest pursuant to section 69, County Courts Act 1984

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, that is my claim now submitted. 

I'd prepared it on the 18th November so that it was ready to click off on day 15, so that is the date marked on the claim for claiming interest up until, as it wouldn't let me edit this unfortunately.

Not too much of an issue as far as I'm concerned for claiming the interest back, just concerned it confuses my particulars.

Do you think I ought to contact money claims to explain this slight detail? 

@BankFodder I've just seen an email saying I have a message from you on this post, but for some reason it's not showing me the message on this post or given me a notification for it on here.

If I had seen your message on this thread or received a notification, I would have responded to it so I do apologise for any confusion caused. 

My particulars of claim are provided above, further up the thread with the letter before action

Many thanks. 

• Like 1

I will attach a screenshot of the submitted page and also copy in the text below. 

The claimant used the courier service

provided by the defendant courier company

to send an electric guitar to a third party.

Reference number XXXXXXXXXX. The

defendant company has admitted that they

have damaged the item and refuse to

compensate the claimant.

The value of the item sent was £263.00.

The delivery fee was £16.88.

The claimant claims full reimbursement of

£279.88 (item value plus delivery fee plus

insurance cost) plus interest pursuant to

section 69, County Courts Act 1984.

The claimant claims interest under section 69

of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of

8% a year from 09/09/2020 to 18/11/2020 on

£279.88 and also interest at the same

rate up to the date of judgment or earlier

payment at a daily rate of £0.06.

• 1 month later...

Hello, just an update. 

I've this week received a letter "Notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track." 

The defendant (Hermes) has filed a defence, copy of which is enclosed. 

I have to complete the small claims directions questionnaire (form N180) and file it with the court office. 

This letter advises the option of my case being referred to the small claims mediation service; I assume I am advised to agree to this? 

Having read through the successful outcomes of other Hermes cases on here, they all seem to have gone to mediation, so do I agree to this at this stage? 

Thanks. 

Hi just a quick question; 

On the directions questionnaire it asks which county court hearing centre I would "prefer" the small claims hearing take place and why; I assume I can put my local sheriff court to where I live in Scotland, since it is asking me my preference? 

It also asks why; how much detail should I provide as to my reason? 

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, had a bit of a setback...

I was unable to take my mediation phone call on the set day and time.. My baby was very poorly, my husband answered the call and asked if could reschedule but they just said they'll try but it may not be possible. I haven't heard anything back as yet. 

I did try ringing them on their contact number before our set appointment, but the wait length time was impossible to get through to speak to anyone, while looking after a very unwell baby. 

So, again I'll keep you posted on developments, thanks.