• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Excel ANPR Windscreen PCN Claimform - Brewery St car park, Chesterfield on 02.07. 2018 ***Claim Dismissed***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, newbie here, hope I'm doing this correctly.

Two years ago the wife was using my car and bought a ticket in a train station car park and displayed it on the dashboard.

She returned to find a parking charge notice from Excel.

It was a very windy day and it had evidently been blown on the the floor of the car as she left.

It did not have a self adhesive part to stick to the window.

I subsequently followed their online claim procedure and sent a copy of the ticket but the claim was refused.

A couple of days ago I received the County Court Business Centre claim form in the post after presuming it would go away after not hearing from them for about a year (the usual threatening letters from debt recovery companies etc).

I wish I had paid the original £20 as this has been a big worry and hassle, but I just ignored most of the letters after reading stuff online.

Obviously I want to dispute the whole of the claim but do I have a decent defence?

I would cite the fact that the only reason the ticket was not displayed was that it could not be stuck to the window.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Name of the Claimant : Excel Parking Services

Claimants Solicitors: Unknown

Date of issue – 08 July 2020

Date for AOS - 27 July 2020?

Date to submit Defence - 07 august - corrected DX

What is the claim for  

1. The claim is for a breach of contract for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land.

2.The defendant's vehicle was identified in the Brewery St car park on 2.7.18 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely parked without clearly displaying a valid ticket/permit.

3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver.

4.The terms and conditions upon entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct.

5.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply, namely a parking charge

notice will be issued, and the defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability.

6.The claimant seeks recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.

What is the value of the claim? £185.00

• dx100uk changed the title to Excel ANPR PCN Claimform - Brewery St car park, Chesterfield on 02.07. 2018

Thanks dx,

The claim form only arrived yesterday, I wasn't even sure it was an official document as it has photocopied logos/crests etc.

Yes, I still have the ticket.

Do you think I have a decent defence or will it just blow over anyway?

I'm having problems on the MCOL site, I tried to register but it sends me to Gov Gateway sign in and I can't remember my details, it's ages since 

I used it. Am I doing something wrong, is there a workaround or do I have to post it?

It takes a few days to sort out the Gateway details if you've lost them apparently. I'll look in to the CPR.

I don't know what you mean about the letter of claim. I did receive something from about Excel a few months ago maybe,

is that what you mean? I just thought it was the usual empty threats, I'm not even sure if I keep it.

Hey, thanks for that. Yes, the wife had borrowed the car that day, definitely, but I don't think it was clear on the photos on their site,

so I'm not sure how I can prove that I wasn't driving.

I'll definitely try and check out that beta, what do they make it so difficult just to register.

I'm struggling with how to actually word my defence, I need to 'state which allegations in the particulars of the claim I deny and my reasons for doing so'.

The claim form says that 'if you fail to deny an allegation it may taken that you admit it'.

Here is their claim in full:

1. The claim is for a breach of contract for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land.

2.The defendant's vehicle was identified in the Brewery St car park on 2.7.18 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely parked without clearly displaying a valid ticket/permit.

3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver.

4.The terms and conditions upon entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct.

5.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply, namely a parking charge

notice will be issued, and the defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability.

6.The claimant seeks recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.

All I can really dispute is that it WAS 'parked clearly displaying a ticket', albeit only for a minute or two before it was blown off, due to no self adhesive part to it.

Hi, I'm struggling to find the 3-5 line simple defence mentioned that would be appropriate for my case. I'm either getting old or stupid or both, but I seem to get word blindness when it

comes to legalese.

Could some kind person take a few minutes to spell out what I need to put as my defence please, if I have any? I'd be quite happy to make another donation, would rather it go to you guys than them!

Ok, I'll take a look at those, thanks.

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned my wife was driving, but haven't they covered themselves with 'At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver'. It was my car.

No, I've not found out about the land, where would I find this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, appreciate it. I've not had chance yet to have a good read through those links etc, I've got another couple of weeks yet I think.

Should that be enough then, along with a brief explanation of what actually happened on the day?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I filed the short defence and have received a Notice of Proposed Allocation to the small claims track, along with a N180 Directions Questionnaire.

I presume this is standard procedure, but what do I put? Do I agree to the case being referred to Mediation? What about the questions referring to the 

potential court hearing etc?

Sorry, there's just so much to read through and I can never seem to find stuff that's specifically relevant to me.

If it's any consolation, I now know what it's like to be on the other end of inane and repetitive questions, from the forum that I frequent regularly, in my own field!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I just received a Notice of Trial date and a N157 Allocation to Hearing (early Jan).

Bit of a shock tbh, but I guess they may still pull out

and just pay the 25 quid.

All I've had from Excel in the meantime is an offer of reduced fine to £125.

I now have a few weeks (early Dec) to prepare my witness statement.

I'm presuming I am the witness in this case, even thought the wife was using the car at the time -

I've not told her this is ongoing as she would worry too much (and would have just paid the original fine).

Any help or guidance or things

I should include in the statement, I  would be extremely grateful.

I guess I'll know if they are taking this all the way if I receive a copy of their evidence in due course?

Why should I not mention that my wife was driving? Excel already know this, AND that I still have the ticket, from my original letter

to appeal to the fine from two years ago. They still rejected it, just saying it was not clearly displayed. The court don't know any of this,

so surely they'll throw it out once they know all the facts?

I'd just like this to go away, I don't want to drag it out any further and appeal against them, I could just do without the hassle.

I certainly mentioned in a letter to them that she was driving, but I'm the registered keeper anyway, that's what they're focussing on.

I really don't want to go to court, even if it is straightforward and easy, I could just do without wasting the best part of a day, not to mention the hours I'll have to spend putting the WS together.

I still don't see why not telling the Court the whole story at this stage will work against me.

I can see it from you guys' point of view - to make him go all the way, but you need to see it from mine.

• 2 months later...

Ok, back again.

I have attached the WS in preparation to send next week. I would appreciate if anyone would be able to have a quick look through and see if there are any glaring mistakes or omissions.

I've not received anything from the claimant re their statement etc, don't know if this is good news or not.

Btw, I've only just noticed an anomaly with the date of the event - the date on the parking ticket says 3 July 2018 but at the bottom in smaller letters it says 'issued 2 July'.

2 July is also the date the claimant put on all their correspondence and seems to be the correct date. I don't know why they don't correlate, is this useful or not?

defendants WS.pdf

Thanks Dave for your kind words, it did take ages!

Ah yes, forgot to add a POFA bit. And yes, I fully intend to include photos of the ticket and letters etc. 

I agree with your additional sub-headings, ta.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, back again.

WS's sent and also received from Excel.

think they crossed in the post, their's just seems to be the usual bumph about the signage and contracts etc.

One thing they may push is the fact I 'should have' followed procedure and gone to IAS once the original appeal was not accepted. Would this help them?

They also say the onus was on me to supply them with driver details, but they've never explicitly asked me for them. 'By failing to take appropriate action', they're saying I've failed to discharge myself from liability.

The hearing is in early Jan, via phone/video.

In the Court directions, they mention 'Hearing Bundles' which have to be sent via email - it's not clear what form these bundles/key documents need to be in.

Do I just send my WS and evidence etc again, or will they expect to see something else?

I'm also supposed to liaise with Excel to decide what these bundles are, how easy is that going to be?