• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Motor insurance claim against my son. Need advice.

beetlejuice01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you have anything in writing from the garage that said they would insure the courtesy car?

Another angle I would explore if you can identify the insurer is that despite the garage cancelling the policy it would seem that it was in force at the time of the accident. The insurer should know what time the garage called to cancel it. If you can demonstrate that that the accident had happened before then, and that the policyholder had refused to give you the information to reprot the claim on time, you might have some success. it won't be straightforward though.

11 minutes ago, Manxman in exile said:

**  I have no idea how trader's policies work.  Would someone being given a courtesy car by a company automatically be covered on that policy?

I used to deal with motor traders insurance but it was a long time ago so I'm not up to date with current policies and practice. However it used to be a standard extension. Some MT policies included it automatically, others it was an extension the trader paid extra for. You'd also have look at the use limitations - may only cover the customer for private use not business - and limitations re customer's age. Typically there would have to be a signed agreement for the use of the courtesy car for the cover to be valid.

I've gone back and re-read this thread and I'm starting to see that a rather different interpretation of events is possible. One in which the garage isn't the villain of the piece. So let me be devil's advocate for a moment.

On Monday beetlejuice01 posted this about their son and the purchase of the "courtesy car"...

There was an agreement in place to purchase the vehicle that was being used as a courtesy vehicle. When his own vehicle was repaired and sold.

and this...

Not what he wanted to hear because he feels he is blameless and has already lost £3500.00 by having to purchase the damaged Car and reselling it at a large loss.

However, he signed an agreement to purchase the car. So he has honoured his agreement. 

and earlier today this..

Just to clarify the current situation. The company is now claiming that the courtesy car belonged to my son at the time of the accident, even though he had not paid them any money for it, at that time. Therefore, their insurance policy did not cover him. The money that he paid for the insurance cover was paid in cash. It appears they are now claiming that this was a deposit for the car and not for insurance cover. No receipt was provided so my son doesn't have a leg to stand on regarding the legal ownership of the vehicle. The date on the DVLA change of ownership paperwork was prior to the accident,

Note: he had signed a purchase agreement, it wasn't some vague understanding of what he'd do in the future. What's more after the accident it was beetlejuice's son who sold the damaged car - not the garage. A purchaser is normally going to insist on evidence that you own the vehicle that you are selling so beetlejuice's son presumably had evidence that he owned it. 

If nothing else this purchase agreement is a key document that should be posted up here (redacted) so that we can see what it says about when transfer of ownership took place and about insurance.

But what if the purchase agreement did transfer ownership to the son from the moment  he drove the "courtesy car" off the garage premises and the son was supposed to insure it from then? If that is what actually happened then it is more likely that the amount he paid to the garage was indeed a deposit as the garage is saying and not 'for the insurance cover'.

The garage were willing to let him take the ex-courtesy car without paying the full purchase price because they held his other car  as security for the balance of the purchase price. That seems to me to make more commercial sense than the garage agreeing to continue to insure the ex-courtesy car on their own policy after they had transferred ownership. Normally if a garage lends you a courtesy car you don't have to pay the insurance on it.

Why would any garage agree to insure the ex-courtesy car in those circumstances? And why would a garage transfer RK at DVLA to son if he didn't own it and hadn't paid them anything for it? That doesn't make commercial sense either.

After the accident son calls garage who realise they hadn't got around to telling their insurer that they'd sold the car. So they immediately tell their own motor trade insurers that it's been sold and to take it off their policy. There's a time lag between telling insurers and the insurers updating MID. Police arrive at the accident shortly afterwards and check the MID before the motor trade insurers have put though any update. So police find the vehicle on MID, as far as they are concerned it's insured, and don't take any further interest in the insurance.

This is just my alternative reading of the story that has been put to us. I may be completely wrong, but if I am right what has happened is a misunderstanding by the son about who should have been insuring the ex-courtesy car. He should have insured it but he didn't. Fortunately for him the car was still on MID when police checked at scene of the accident or he could be facing a driving without insurance charge. But I fear he may be a difficult position in relation to the 2nd party. At the moment it's only 2nd party's insurer seeking recovery of the vehicle damage costs, but what if the 2nd party appears later with a personal injury claim? I bet there'll be a claim from the 2nd party for his excess.

From the very brief details of the accident I don't agree that the son is blameless either. The person who backed out of the drive may be partly responsible but I'd be surprised if the son was found to entirely blameless.

Edited by Ethel Street
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Manxman in exile said:

And if the garage persists in saying RK transfer at the DVLA is proof of ownership then either (1) they really are trying it on and have no better argument/proof, or (2) they don't have a clue.

I think that's overstating it. RK and ownership are different things, I agree, and RK doesn't prove ownership. But if there were a dispute over ownership, and the other documentation/evidence was missing or  ambiguous, and it went to court the judge might consider that the actions of the garage in transferring RK before the accident had evidential value in support of their claim that the son owned the car before the accident. If the son did not own the car why would the garage transfer the RK? It would be an unusual commercial practice.

Edited by Ethel Street

19 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

I thought for a contract to purchase to go through there had be be consideration paid, to the seller before ownership passed to the buyer.

OP's son paid £200 according to OP which garage says was part of the purchase price.