• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Npower, faulty (slow) meter, charged new usage figures for many past years - now on prepay with huge debt? is this fair?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Make sure they apply the back  billing rules.  See link below.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-backbilling-guide-your-rights

Put simply, a supplier can’t seek additional payment for unbilled energy used more than 12 months prior to the error being detected and a corrected bill being issued. 

The protection may not apply if you have behaved obstructively or unreasonably which prevents your supplier from accurately billing you. For example, by physically blocking more than one reasonable attempt by the supplier to take a meter reading at your property or if you have stolen gas or electricity.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Send a complaint in writing to NPower head office reminding them of the 12 month back billing rule which you believe applies, as the meter which was their responsibility was faulty.  Therefore they should not be applying any estimated usage bills beyond 12 months from the date the faulty meter problem was first recorded.

Suggest you send the letter by recorded delivery.

• Thanks 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

"when the corrected bill was issued."

That does make sense and that was when NPower made their billing decision, which is what you are challenging.
  • Confused 1

Looking at the document you attached

4. The electricity usage in March/April 2018 seems to be an error.

This is when they added over £2k.

This is all very confusing !

You gave NPower an electricity reading on 24th April 2018 which was a lot more than estimated reading that were used to calculate bills previously.   

So what was the history of this account before 24th April 2018. 

Where is your electricity meter ?   If the meter is inside your property did NPower contact you to try to obtain your meter readings previously ?  

So when you moved into the property in October 2017 what electricity meter reading did you give them ?

It appears what has happened here, is that a wrong meter reading has been given to NPower sometime before April 2018.  So when you gave an actual meter reading in April 2018, this is why the huge bill was generated.

Electricity meter reading October 2017 67386

Electricity 24 April 2018 Your reading 84366

Not sure how you managed to consume so many units of Electric over a 6 month period. You gave NPower both of these readings !

During that period, what electrical appliances were you using ?

Did you have an immersion hot water tank permanently switched on to provide hot water ?  Or did you have other ways of heating hot water for washing etc ?

How did you heat the house ?  Gas boiler or electric heating. ?

Before you write to NPower we need to understand why your usage is so high for period and exactly what happened at the time.

Sounds like you gave NPower a wrong meter reading in October 2017. Or there was a serious problem with the wiring to the meter. People who live in flats, converted houses or mixed private/commercial units, sometimes have problems with their meters being charged for their neighbours energy usage.

There is no way that you would have used over £2000 worth of electricity over 6 months.

I can only suggest you start to put together a letter explaining everything to NPower is date order.  So from when you moved in, what type of home, how many occupants, what electrical appliances were in use typically ( mention that heating and water is via Gas Bolier).  I think you should question accuracy of meter reading you first gave NPower back in October 2017 or query the accuracy/working condition of the meter. 

It is up to you Sophie to spend the time to construct a letter using all of the information you have available. Only you have the information which is needed to take this forward.

Pointless just arguing 12 month backbilling, as between yourself and NPower you have ended up in a messy situation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does not make any sense. 

Your numbers seem wrong.

Can you explain why you used so much between 1/10/17 TO 24/4/18  ?   Did you give them a wrong meter reading ?  Have you asked NPower to find out what meter reading the previous occupier of the property registered.  They can find out, if it was reported.

There is a gap between 24/4/18  and  27/11/18.  Ask for meter readings and bills for between these dates, if you don't have them.

There is also a gap between 12/3/19 and  13/7/19.  Again you need meter readings and bills.

Ask for a copy of the report and ask whether the old meter is still available for independent inspection,  as you may want to arrange for this.

It is possible that the previous occupiers had tempered with the meter ?  

• 2 weeks later...

May have a look later.

Still think you gave them a wrong meter reading when you moved in and this is why you have such a high debt.  

If you gave them wrong reading at the start and then provided the correct meter reading later, you suddenly have the massive jump in bill. And this has been added to, ever since. 

You have given no other reasons for using over £2000 in electricity in the year after you moved in.   

Did you ask NPower to check the final meter reading provider by previous occupiers ?  NPower can check this, to see if you gave a wrong meter reading.

Here is what I think

When the previous occupier left, they either did not provide meter readings or gave wrong readings.  If the meter reading given or recorded at the time was a lot lower than it was really showing, when you eventually provided a meter reading months later, there is a sudden large bill created.

It is not unknown for some people to deliberately give false readings when they leave properties, hoping they are not caught doing so or the energy company will never find them to try to collect any debt.  

When you moved in, did you ever check the meter to see whether the reading was similar to what the inventory company provided ?

If you did not, you would never know that a lower meter reading had been recorded, than was actually showing at the time.

It could be the case that NPowers bill includes electricity use the previous occupiers are responsible for, due to the reasons above.  

Did the inventory company actually read the meter themselves or did they get the meter reading from the previous occupiers or their letting agent ?  

Does this theory appear possible ?

How do you know it was correct ?

Sounds like you do not know this ?

Sophie, as you did not bother to check the meter yourself and trusted the inventory company, i think you will have to accept the NPower bills.

Of course you can ask NPower to register a complaint and ask them for details of their complaints process. And just follow it through. 

Your problem is that you have not been thorough enough with checking the meter yourself and it has led you to the current position.

If you are a disabled person and have problems with meter reading, as well as managing utility billing issues, you should make NPower aware of this. And ask them for details of any help they can provide to disabled customers.