• Tweets

• You're welcome. Lots of people aren't sure where to post when they arrive but you'll get used to the forum. HB
    • I’m so sorry for posting in the wrong place and I am so thankful you have replied to me thank you.
    • Hello, welcome to CAG. I've moved your thread to our Retail Loss Prevention subforum for further advice. It sounds as if you may get letters from people like DWF solicitors or a company called Retail Loss Prevention but we always recommend to ignore them. If the police weren't called on the day you aren't going to hear from them. Ask us any questions you want to and keep in touch but I don't think this will go anywhere. Best, HB
    • Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
    • V important you read lots of BMW threads too !  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Housing Assoc changed door lock without notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

He needs to contact the HA to understand what's going on. 

What springs to mind is the fact that he was never registered there as a resident, so the HA has regained ownership of the property after he failed to contact them.

I'm sure there are legal timeframes, however,  once a person dies, they move very quickly and i mean same day.

It's heartless if you ask me but they don't care, they're short of accommodations and getting a property back is gold dust to them.

If he can prove that he was a permanent resident and paying the rent maybe he could convince them to stay there, but he needs to contact them immediately before they assign the property to someone else. 

Whatever disability he has, he better contact a dedicated charity and ask if they can guide him to a solution. 

Some charities are very good in getting involved and sort things out, others are not.

Worth a shot.

Sorry 45002, that would never be the case for many reasons.

1. HA are notoriously a law into themselves and judges are very lenient with them

2. LA OFFICIALLY was not aware of his residency there, in fact his mother was claiming single occupancy (i suppose to pay less council tax)

3. All bills were in mother's name, so proving residency would prove difficult with a mobile phone bill

4. Shortage of accommodations has made changing locks an accepted practice when someone dies and next of kin don't get in touch within a few days. Again, judges are aware of this and lenient.

Given all of the above, going down the legal route would probably open a can of worms with the unpaid council tax since 1977, of course if the son can prove of having lived there without any evidence.

So my previous advice remains unchanged,  the son should seek help from a charity related to his disability, they might help.

To add to my previous post, this is not an eviction.

As far as the HA is concerned, the mother lived there alone, they tried to get in touch with her next of kin who was not reachable.

At best they could be held responsible if they disposed of mother's belongings,  but in my experience they keep them for at least 28 days.

Hi stu007, I can guarantee that HA and LA don't take months to change locks.

As soon as they're notified of the death of a sole occupant, they contact the next of kin, phone call, email and letter.

If they don't get a response within a couple of days they pack all the tenant's belongings, store them safely and change the locks.

The property is then assessed for any defect to be repaired (usually same day) and once ready is put back in the pool of available properties to rent out.

This process can take as little as a week, it all depends on the state of the property.

The lock change happens in a few days.

Even if the next of kin asks for some time to empty the property, i've never heard of anyone being given longer than a week.

Remember,  the key point is that the mum lived there alone, the son was staying occasionally at weekends and cannot even prove it as all bills were in mum's name, including sole occupant council tax.

As much as I dislike HA and LA, in this case they won't get in any trouble for the reasons in my previous post.

The son should have registered his occupancy 40 odd years ago instead of saving a few pounds by paying single occupant council tax. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, this is the correct procedure, but at least around here in Greater London,  they don't follow it.

And I know people who have taken the HA to court only to be told: "that's not your house, you should have replied to the HA communication" and at best, awarded a nominal sum for the inconvenience of having to collect the deceased belongings from storage.

If you think about it, you can't even blame the HA, they need the property and they're not going to hung about waiting for the next of kin. 

All well and good, but once the locks have been changed, what are you going to do about it?

You can throw money at it and waste taxpayer's money to win £50 compensation for distress.

And then?

The lock has been changed.

You say illegally, They would argue that the son was staying there rent free and cheating the system by claiming of not being there.

Then what?

The son could be in for a shock with an enormous bill for unpaid council tax and rent.

I am all against HA, they're the devil, but on this one I have to say that the son could've at least replied to their communication instead of waiting until they changed the locks.

Now it's too late and there's too much to lose challenging the HA.

The son in any case will not get back into the property,  unless a miracle happens.

Edited by king12345

Yes, i agreed to that at post 1.

My following question is: What you gonna do about it???

Answer: Nothing!

And in this case the son could be peeled like a potato in a banana coat if he's not careful.

So the illegality of it is absolutely irrelevant. 

• Like 1

I'm not supporting anything illegal but i am old enough to accept that sometimes i cannot change things and have to live with it.

Fighting a lost cause is for younger and inexperienced people so they can learn like i did in the days when I had a head full of hair and could run 10 miles barefoot.

Besides, the son failed to declare he was living there and avoided paying rent and council tax for 4 decades, isn't that illegal?

Edited by king12345

"They were aware of her son" sounds exactly like "i told them i stay here sometimes at weekend, i'm in the clear".

They won't have any record of this anyway,  unless the son has proof of having told them.

As much as I hate it,  my money is on the HA unfortunately; I doubt the son would have any proof in his favour.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As i said previously the son is not considered a tenant because he's not registered there.

Nothing he can do imo rather than collect his stuff and find another place.

Unless he's ready to break the lock and enter the property, at risk of being arrested.

• Like 1