• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cpm/BW windscreen pcns - BW PAP LOC Now Claimform - (residential car park) The citrus Building, Maderia road, Bournemouth ***Claim Dismissed with Costs** now another PAPLOC for another same place ticket ***Dismissed again with costs***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just so I can get a better understanding, what is the abilities of their advocate in court?

Are they able to argue any points made in the claimants WS or argue against mine?

Or is it purely that they are they as a representative with effectively no say in the matter?

With regards to the signage, now I have seen their WS and they have dropped themselves in it with this, I can now rewrite this bit to cover the fact it’s incorrect, the fact there is multiple different signs across the site and that in my opinion, it’s not adequate (location, lighting etc)

ad tomorrow’s the last day I have to prepare this, I will be doing so in the morning getting it all ready for hand delivery to the court on the 2nd. I know most will probably be hung over from the New Years celebrations but I’d really appreciate any other comments before it’s signed, sealed and delivered. 

Finally, CPMs offices are 30 seconds from the court so do you think hand delivering to CPM will be acceptable as well?

Thanks DX, was nervous about pushing it right to the last minute but I’m quite confident now all will be fine

jumping the gun a bit Here but how does it work in claiming from them my time in the event of me being successful?

i know I can claim 5hrs at £19P/H (?) but am I correct there is other things I can claim for?

1 minute ago, shamrocker said:

You've blanked out the contravention details - what does it say there? This is important, so we need to know.

It’s a table with the 3 ticket numbers on, the time and date of contravention and the reg number. I blanked it out for the reg and the ticket numbers. You’re not missing anything that isn’t already listed elsewhere. 

Taking into accounts your comments above (Which are really appreciated), i have pretty much rewritten my WS which is attached. Again any last minute comments are really appreciated. This is being hand delivered to the court tomorrow at 9am and posted off to BW.

Witness statement version 2 REDACTED.pdf

Thanks for taking the time to write that! All completely valid pints. Unfortunately I struggle to get what I’m thinking down onto paper which is clear here

ill be up early tomorrow  to make these changes, get it all printed and off to the court and BW. Then play the waiting game and see if they actually pay their fees!

thanks again to everyone who has contributed. Really appreciated 

On 02/01/2020 at 12:22, brassnecked said:

Good luck, hope they get pwned in court. could you post a pdf of final submission, think the no locus standi, over your space should be a key for sure

yep will get it posted up once I’ve removed all of the sensitive information. 

the next stage for me is checking they have paid their fees on the due date. I assume that is just a case of calling the court that the hearing is taking place at? 

• 2 weeks later...

So there’s still a chance it might not make it to a court room then? Whilst I’m confident here, obviously the ideal situation would be for it not to make it to a court room full stop!

46 minutes ago, shamrocker said:

I wouldn't use the fee payment as an indication of their confidence - they probably haven't got a clue about the circumstances of the claim the payment relates to.

I would agree with you there. It’s completely evident that they are being advised by BW legal who clearly want to push it as far as possible to get paid as much as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, less than a week now until my court date and I have spent the day reviewing everything to keep it fresh in my mind and ensuring all of my paperwork is together. One thing that I’m not overly clued up on though, and may be a little assuming, is if the claim is struck out, what is the process for claiming costs?

im aware I’m capped to 7hrs at about £12.50(?) as well as small costs for things like postage however what I’m not sure on is how I present this or request it? Do I have to have evidence with me as to the costs or is this something that would be done at a later date? 

Perfect, I’ll get that ready. Thanks!

is there anything else I need to be aware of at this point? Other than turn up on the day suited and booted with all of the case paperwork, evidence and see what happens?

• 1 month later...

So, it’s been a long time but I finally have a date of May 21st. I suspect this won’t happen due to the current virus situation but we will see. 

I move house on May 6th so I will be speaking to the courts to update my address however so I need to let the likes of BW legal know?

1 minute ago, dx100uk said:

don't forget DVLA and V5C and any outstanding debt on credit file too! 

Vehicle in question is leased by my business but thanks. It’s a good reminder for our personal vehicles 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks DX, so i assume going down the paper hearing route is acceptable and i do not need to submit anything additional? BW have emailed me this afternoon to say the claimant is happy with this and they are also happy to compile the hearing bundle.

Do i need to compile anything for my bundle or literally just resubmit my WS?

• 2 weeks later...

Right I have received the hearing bundle from BW legal (100 pages of wasted tree!) and having looked through it, all looks ok (I wouldn’t put it past them to alter it!)

considering my WS has directly countered all of their points in theirs,

is there any need for this to be heard on a phone call or can I just agree to let it be heard on the papers?

Whilst I want to waste their money,

I also don’t want to waste my time

but I’m not sure how much of an influence I would have if I was able to cross examine?