• Tweets

• It's a GR Yaris - Finance is with Alphera, who are part of BMW I believe. I'm sure the unit is very expensive to repair, I have even told them I would be happy with a refurbished/reconditioned unit, in trying to be reasonable as well.
    • Without seeing this envelope, document and sticker it is impossible to advise properly. However, just going on what you have told us, there are two ways you can deal with this: !. The easy way. This has the lowest risk but the guarantee of a penalty for speeding.  You can respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box you can explain that you responded to the request for driver’s details but it was recently returned to you, seemingly not actioned. However, you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. You could also ask the court to consider sentencing you at the fixed penalty level (£100 and 3 points) as this prosecution seems to be the result of an administrative problem outside your control. 2. The not so easy way with higher risk. This could see you convicted of the FtP charge but has the possibility that you escape with no penalty whatsoever. You can do the same – plead not guilty to both charges. If you go down this route the speeding charge cannot succeed as they have no evidence you were driving. This comes from your response to the request for driver’s details which the police say they have not got. You can mention in the “Reasons” box that you returned the request for driver’s details as required. You will then face a trial for the FtP charge and you can produced your response together with the envelope and sticker showing it had been returned to you. The risk with this is that if your defence fails you will be fined a week and a half’s net income, pay a “Victim Surcharge” of 40% of the fine, pay prosecution costs of around £650 and have six points together with an endorsement code (MS90) which will see your insurance premiums rocket.
    • Probably very expensive to replace what car and model who is your finance with ?   Andy
    • Topic moved to Financial legal Issues forum in view of the claim form. Topic title updated Please continue to post here, Andy   .
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CWD - PAP Letter re old UAE debt now claim form

Hornsey62
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1344 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There is no Direction within the CPR Civil Procedure Rules.....Simply submit an N244 Application Notice and request an Order.I have already advised you of the process of contesting jurisdiction.

"My question is what input am I allowed to have and if any what can I bring up?"

" Sorry for all the questions but I don't want attend and not have a clue what to say  and if I say anything what do I back it up with? "

Very little unless you are more qualified than the District Judge on Jurisdiction issues....the court determines...you sit and twiddle your fingers.

Any chance of uploading their witness statement..,,I think the uploading problems have been resolved.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Use the following for now until the error is corrected...

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/keywords/view/24-upload/

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Simply attach the PDF redacted as per the instructions in the reply box (bottom left corner)

Unusual...unless your trying to get a foreign agreement through English Courts/law and smacks of desperation ...you cant withdraw an application without the court permission ...and why would you want to withdraw it anyway...if it fails it fails and if they succeed the claim proceeds.

And which costs ?.....a typed up witness statement ?

19 minutes ago, Hornsey62 said:

My thoughts exactly and I know nothing apart from what I've learned on cag.

I don't want to withdraw but what if I did. Are they saying that the claim would still go ahead??

They don't make that clear?

CPR 11 makes it clear...

7) If on an application under this rule the court does not make a declaration –

(a) the acknowledgment of service shall cease to have effect;

(b) the defendant may file a further acknowledgment of service within 14 days or such other period as the court may direct; and

(c) the court shall give directions as to the filing and service of the defence in a claim under Part 7 or the filing of evidence in a claim under Part 8 in the event that a further acknowledgment of service is filed.

8 minutes ago, Hornsey62 said:

Sorry Andy I keep reading but I don't understand. Do I have to do anything else?

Erm no.......Only the court can determine

6 minutes ago, Hornsey62 said:

Yes that's what I believe

If they had a good case would they be contacting me? 

Precisely....... 

17 minutes ago, Hornsey62 said:

That's what I thought. 

I don't know if you've had a chance to look at the WS from them if not no worries.

Broach it tomorrow.

Yep  dragged it out to 3 mins...very scant on detail/legislation re Jurisdiction.......non conveniens ...take another read of my post #109 ....learn it off by heart

5 hours ago, Hornsey62 said:

I couldn't agree with you more.

From what I've learnt about them it's all about the money.

They only take on cases where there could be a shed load for them.

Peter Coyle and the solicitor that wrote my witness statement are directors of IDRWW debt collectors.

Says it all.

https://idrww.com/privacypolicy/

1 hour ago, hzeee said:

Cheers Hornsey - they do refer to the judgement in their favour. Is that clear in the appendix of the letter? It does not seem to be uploaded. Many thanks 

Yes I did wonder the same...where is this judgment ?

And thats all they have to rely on...dont bother then :classic_biggrin:

But sometimes we remember when they come back with another problem........😎

So whats the contents of their bundle ?  Never heard of a bundle being used in an application to determine jurisdiction.They have already submitted their statement an evidence.

Whats the breakdown on their costs ?

And no Barristers fee ? 

I was going to refer to their WS but notice its been pulled and not available...do they request costs within their statement ?

Assuming the T&Cs of the agreement contain a contractual costs indemnity.It is rare for costs to be assessed on the indemnity basis and they will only be awarded by the court if there are specific factors which justify them..... hinging around Civil Procedure Rule 44.3 

What time is your hearing tomorrow ?

Okay well best of luck and keep calm...its for the court and them to argue it out if the court has jurisdiction..to decide if foreign law can be tried in an English Court ....you have simply followed CPR and made an application to test it.

Your not on trial..no doubt you will update your thread at your earliest convenience.

Andy

17 hours ago, Versus said:

Finally. Prepare your own costs statement. 

Costs have already been requested within the application

Correct ....we didn't attach a draft order..not to worry simply request " the costs in this application "...if your application is granted. 

If their costs were £4300 and you state she cut them in half...but then you state she knocked off £200 ?

You must defend...although we may not be much help as we are not versed in UAE law nor is the Judge I would suspect..but dont let them get a default judgment otherwise you are not putting the court to the test to be able to quantify its ruling.The judge has basically thrown out CPR 11 because if you can try a UAE credit agreement under English Law you can try almost any agreement from any part of the world.

You will have 14 days to acknowledge service and the court will direct to submit a defence.

(7) If on an application under this rule the court does not make a declaration –

(a) the acknowledgment of service shall cease to have effect;

(b) the defendant may file a further acknowledgment of service within 14 days or such other period as the court may direct; and

(c) the court shall give directions as to the filing and service of the defence in a claim under Part 7 or the filing of evidence in a claim under Part 8 in the event that a further acknowledgment of service is filed.

(8) If the defendant files a further acknowledgment of service in accordance with paragraph (7)(b) he shall be treated as having accepted that the court has jurisdiction to try the claim.

(9) If a defendant makes an application under this rule, he must file and serve his written evidence in support with the application notice, but he need not before the hearing of the application file –

(a) in a Part 7 claim, a defence; 

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part11

As I said she has basically disregarded CPR 11 :classic_blink:

Although she may have done you a favour......

(8) If the defendant files a further acknowledgment of service in accordance with paragraph (7)(b) he shall be treated as having accepted that the court has jurisdiction to try the claim.

2 hours ago, Hornsey62 said:

Sorry Andy..getting confused . 

Just the Barrister yesterday asked for mine to be fast tracked. Don't know why.

Court decides at the appropriate stage...Allocation.... not at yesterday's hearing... which Track subject to the value of the claim in sterling...if its over 10K then its Fast Track

Wants Fast Track to rack up the costs which you will be liable for and make up some of yesterdays that were denied.

I think its best to start laying out a defence rather than dissecting the Jurisdiction issue...only 12 days left.If you could post some details of the debt and any disputes etc.

Andy