Accused of data theft

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a somewhat different story than the one that you told on MSE, isn't it? Which version is the truth?

As you have been told on both threads,

simply because the actual information is not property and therefore cannot be stolen, does not mean that there are no consequences for taking commercial data belonging to your employer - legally, or otherwise.

The employer phoned you knowing that you had taken the files.

You confirmed it.

And they told you they would be consulting their solicitor.

What is wrong with that?

Or was the original version of this not the true one? If you take sensitive commercial data and get caught, you must expect consequences.

• Haha 1

Any chance of the link, so O can compare the tales .......

Do links work? The last time I tried to link to another thread on another site it scrambled! The version on MSE starts off with calmly handing in notice, the boss becoming abusive, no mention of leaving the data stick behind, no mention of threats of the police. The title of the thread is "Abusive boss". You should find it easily as it's only been the last days it was posted. I think there is more to this than we are being told.

Yes, I would tend to agree.

Since the data stick appears not to have left the premises

- which is a reason why the correct version is important

- then the OP does not have the files in their possession and can swear to that fact.

They downloaded them for some company issue, and when they left the files were, quite rightly, left behind. With the employer. So that is simple

- just tell the employer that and the matter is closed.

Of course, if the were taken off premises, then no matter what the OP says, the employer is likely to want assurances about their commercial data. Which is perfectly reasonable.

I can't see why the OP doesn't see that.

Unless, of course, they are not telling the entire truth, and the conversation went along the lines of

"pay what you owe or I'll release the files to your competitors".

Because that would be a very different kettle of fish. But it all seems to be a storm in a teacup which the OP can easily diffuse.

Thanks HB.

I think it was the same problem as last time : a space gets added...... (last time the solution was to copy the original and delete the space, or copy it from a reply quoting the post, where the extra space doesn't show)

You'd think there'd be something simple in life, wouldn't you?!

its done on purpose

because if we blindly allow links

just think of the implications should that be one that infects a downloaders PC...

dx

Oh I wasn't complaining. I understand some sites have different protocols and have good reason for whatever they are.