• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Religious Discrimination is Legal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So who would think it right for a Christian or Muslim or whatever church, with strong beliefs on the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman, to be forced to hold a marriage ceremony for a same sex couple?

Now I think that same sex couple, like everyone else, have the right to make their own lives however they see fit ....

as long as it doesn't negatively impact others lives, and gay, straight or whatever, no-one should be forced to serve others in ways that offend their own sensibilities. We can all take our business elsewhere.

Forcing service makes resentment, not compassion.

(LOL I just noticed that my spell checker flagged muslim (without capitalisation) as an error, but not christian)

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Did Spock say 'The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many...?

Now we know bankers and politicians adhere to that belief, do we really want the list to grow?

Live and let live is a philosophy which can only come from within, and does need to be mutual.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Again where do you draw the line?

That also goes both ways

I also remind you that "Marrage" predates the church.

How can marriage in a church predate the church?

I'm not saying they shouldn't celebrate or mark their partnership, just that they should not be able to force others to celebrate it against their beliefs.

Where would that end?

I don't believe the same sex couples' rights should be impacted, but neither should that of the church (in this example) else the same sex couple (or their pressure groups) is imposing the same sort of forced behavior that they have MOSTLY rightly complained about for so long.

To use your words - where does it end.

YOU sabresheep are demonstrating the ones sided fanatical thinking and twisting of speech which causes these problems in all areas, not resolves them.

The Tory Legacy

Now if we are going to discuss marriage we should do so properly. You should not twist this to "Marriage in a church"

Marriage in a church was exactly the moral question I raised, which you have twisted into something else.

You even quoted me in post 20 here before ranting off at a tangent.

I'll copy again the exact words for you (no doubt to squirm away from again)

"So who would think it right for a Christian or Muslim or whatever church, with strong beliefs on the sanctity of marriagelink3.gif between a man and a woman, to be forced to hold a marriage ceremony for a same sex couple?"

The Tory Legacy

Can I just pop in here to lay out my understanding of this issue.

So in answer to your question, no they cannot be forced.

With due respect silverfox, that wasn't my question, although its an excellent point that in this particular case they should not be forced, but in the case of the cake they can.

I wasn't looking for interpretations on the law, but to peoples beliefs on whether it was right.

It seems to me that sabresheep, despite TALKING about peoples rights, is only interested in gay rights no matter the impact to others.

Now to me, that seems to be the exact opposite of what is actually right. NOT because it is gay people, but because it is a minority enforcing their wishes on others.

I would feel the same way no matter who the 'group was'

(and to clarify I would have baked a cake for them and wished them all happiness in their future - UNTIL they tried to force their wishes on others, at which stage I would appose them with my best endeavours)

• Haha 1

The Tory Legacy

I wonder if this could be 'the law of unintended consequences'? I can imagine when the anti discrimination laws came into effect, the lawmakers didn't investigate properly.

My own take on this is, of course anyone can refuse to do anything on the grounds of religious beliefs however, they run the risk of being ostracised by the offended people as well as a possible conviction.

In business, you follow the laws of the land. In private you can do what you want. I don't believe in any deity but if I worked in a cake shop would I refuse to decorate a card with religious symbolism or words. Of course not and that is how it should be.

No one should be saying that this couple are being religiously persecuted because they placed their religious beliefs above the business requirements and the law.

Paragraph 1 - I agree.

Paragraph 2 - I agree except that there should be no prosecution in the case of personal choices as apposed to major corporate or governmental policy.

Paragraph 3 - I would phrase it:

I don't believe in any deity but if I worked in a cake shop would I refuse to decorate a card with religious symbolism or words? I would NOT but others, for example those with strong religious convictions may do.

I don't understand what you are trying to state in the last paragraph silverfox.

Lets be clear that we are NOT talking about people being attacked here.

Anyone arguing that the refusal is an attack should ALSO consider that the refusers moral beliefs are being attacked, something I consider far more important than any desire for a cake, whether I believe in those morals or not.

The Tory Legacy

For the record, I am not "only for gay rights" I think you find I support EQUALITY I think you will find posts in this thread form me supporting Female Equality, Racial equality as well.

No you haven't, the way you have presented them appears to be that you have simply used those to accuse others here of prejudice.

and since when has baking a cake been a public service you keep shouting about?

as I have said 'we are not talking about governmental or major institution policy here, just people passively adhering to their beliefs.

Def:

A public service is a service which is provided by government to people living within its jurisdiction, either directly (through the public sector) or by financing provision of services.

The Tory Legacy

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights

Refers to consumer discrimination

Minimally.

Yet page 2

"harassment - unwanted behaviour linked to a protected characteristic that violates someone’s dignity or creates an offensive environment for them"

It would seem that perhaps the law thinks (and interprets) that only people with a 'protected characteristic' can have their dignity violated or have an offensive environment created for them by behavior which is simply UNWANTED?

That sounds like a very discriminatory statement to me.

Surely its everyone, or its discriminatory by its very nature?

The Tory Legacy

I have not added anything silverfox, simply re-arranged the words to make clearer a valid, and clearly USED, perspective on the meaning'

It does quite clearly say "harassment - unwanted behaviour linked to a protected characteristic that violates someone’s dignity or creates an offensive environment for them"

it does NOT say "harassment - unwanted behaviour that violates someone’s dignity or creates an offensive environment for them"

It is discriminatory by definition.

Re-reading the judgement simply reinforces in my mind that the judgement was wrong.

I am not religious in any way, I simply believe that laws should be for ALL, without discrimination or favour.

The Tory Legacy

In the same judgement, a reference was made of a gay baker who refused to bake a cake for a Christian. This is also discriminatory and the Christian would have had the right to challenge by virtue of the discrimination.

In the case in question here, the verdict was utterly wrong in my view, including any suggestion of delivering a similar verdict with a Gay baker in similar circumstances, or a Muslim baker being asked to write (for example) 'Jesus is the one true prophet'.

BUT If ANY of them refused to write Happy Birthday (for example) just because the requester was Gay/Christian/Black/white/disabled/etc, then they should be prosecuted.

The right to challenge is a different matter.

But in the cases exampled in para 1, these perhaps should have resulted in fines for wasting the courts time at the very least.

I firmly believe that it is a miscarriage of justice and the absolute opposite of the judgement that should have been given.

The Tory Legacy

What is so threatening about two people spending their lives together? What makes me, as a heterosexual, married man any different to a homosexual man in terms of our desire to choose a life partner and have that partnership recognised? Nothing, remember that these passages in the bible sit alongside those that justify genocide and the repression of women but not so many people choose to quote those ones...

At what stage has ANYONE, even the bakery in question if you read the link, objected to any couple of whatever sexual orientation celebrating their partnership?

I certainly haven't.

A more relevant simile than those you use would be the Nirenberg trials where soldiers said they were ordered to do it, but that would be used against your stance, not for it.

Surely it is one of the most basic rights - the right to act according to your conscience.

Even if you don't agree with that, and I could understand that, surely you agree that the right NOT to act AGAINST your conscience is fundamental?

The Tory Legacy

The law is quite clear in this area and it has spoken..end of.

Just like a bakery isnt a public service, a judgement isn't a LAW, despite the rather foolish statements which I am surprised to find on this site, let alone site staff..

Here is a one which i am sure you will find a better example of its implementation rather than the questionable one which is the porigin of this thread. How the law should be implemented.

and here is one you undoubtedly wont like so much, but is another I broadly agree with, as I do the one above.

Edited by citizenB
links to USA websites removed

The Tory Legacy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks