• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

--

I just did something stupid....I found an oyster card on the floor a few days ago, it had around £1 left on it.

I just got the money transferred to my existing oyster card/handed the card in so £6 including the £1 on it.

What are my best options: I don't want a criminal record.

Yes it was stupid: my rationale was just to give the money to charity because it's unlikely to get back to its owner, but I didn't realise how seriously TFL takes this kind of thing...which I have now found out.

Edited by ims21
  • Like 1

--

I gave the card in, said a friend gave it to me as he was leaving london.

I then gave my name (partially, not surname), gave a fake address and signed it. No I did not think this through, I just assumed it would go through without needing signatures etc. Yes I panicked. Yes this was overall not a smart choice.

The oyster it was topped up onto was bought with my debit card I assume some time ago.

Edited by ims21

when you hand a card in they also give you the £5 deposit, so £6 total.

I just used my card to get home, so I have already used it.

I do not know if my card was registered personally, I don't know if it's possible to find out. I just bought the card I think (but with my card)

Edited by ims21

He did challenge me slightly, he said "so friends just give each other money then" to which I replied I bought him a couple of pints. This was, I think, before he scanned it, he said it as soon as I said a friend was leaving london and had no more use for it.

Edited by ims21

To get some perspective on the morality here I only took the money because it was £1, if it was more I would have returned the card in the hope the original owner would not be out of pocket. TFL charges £5 for a lost oyster card and (I think) an additional £5 for admin for transferring funds.

My thought was I might as well donate this money to charity since the original holder was not getting their money back.

I have donated to charity (more than £6). The £6 in isolation is going towards purchasing a goat for a poor african family, as was my original intention when deciding not to hand the card in.

To claim what I have done is immoral is quite frankly ridiculous and offensive (in my opinion). Just because something is legal does not make it moral and vice versa. I never intended to personally benefit from the money. That said thank you to everyone who posted in this forum, your views, perspectives and experience is greatly appreciated and a special thanks to those who have put my mind entirely at rest.

"To claim what I have done is immoral is quite frankly ridiculous and offensive (in my opinion)"

I'll rephrase this: it's not how I would personally have viewed these actions.

If you found £5 on the floor would you give it to charity/someone homeless or would you give it to the police?

Morality is a very complex field as everyone posting here is aware. All I was ever trying to do was get money which was otherwise going to sit in a holding account and never be returned to its original owner go to a useful cause. This was my intention from start to finish.