• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MKDP claimform for old {EGG} Barclaycard 'debt' thats done the rounds

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure where to start so I will start with the obvious.

I am defending myself against MKDP LLP for a Barclaycard debt they say is mine.

This all started two years ago when I started receiving Barclaycard letters saying I had missed payments,

I rang them and was told the same even when I was able to demonstrate

that I had been paying my account (mins only)

eventually I recieved letters and phone calls from Robinson Way

who seemed to want to help and suggested I paid them £100 a month

until they could resolve the matter for me.

6 months later and I was no further on, except I was now receiving threatening letters from Raven.

I stop the direct debit to RW and found this fantastic forum and your great template letters.

What followed was requests for CCA and SAR with the appropriate fees

asking not to be used against alleged debt ect.

The following agencies having ALL continued chasing this debt with differing amounts on most occasions.

(Apex, Robinson Way, RMA and MKDP LLP)

the amounts differ from £6,805.32 to 8,847.14.

MKDP LLP court documents claiming £9,257.14 (C/Fee £410)

Needless to say my CCA requests and SAR requests went unanswered

except for one communiction with Apex which acknowledged receipt of my communication

and stated "Please advise the customer that copies of applications are only available for legal reasons,

we now require confirmation of this"

here I am with Papers served

returned acknowledgment of service with the 28th June as deadline for defence.

I have used a template letter from here informing MKDP LLP that I intend defending the whole claim

and requesting CPR 31.14.

This was sent special delivery on the 29th May.

To date I have not even received an acknowledgement yet alone anything under my request.

My question is this:

How do I draft a credable defence using the fine examples on this forum

without looking like a complete numpty quoting legal terms out of context

and manage to cheese off the District Judge before I have my day in court (assuming it goes that far)

For information MKDP Claims:

The claimant claims the sum of £8,847.14

being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a regulated agreement

originally between the Defendant and Barclaycard.

The Defendant's account was XXXXXXXXXX and was assigned to the claimant on 22/6/2012.

Notice of this has been provided to the defendant.

The defendant has failed to make payments in accordance with the terms of the agreement

and a default notice has been served persuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The Claimant claims the sum of £8,847.14 and costs.

The Claimant has compiled as is necessary,

with the pre-action conduct practice direction.

I am still recieving letters from Apex and letters from MKDP LLP "to avoid court action, blah, blah"

Sorry for the lenghty post

K

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the reply.

I believe I have covered much of the issue on the thread,

please let me know if any of the above is not clear.

I have received a letter from Barclaycard stating that they have transfered the Debt to MKDP LLP,

a few days later Apex letter dropped through the door still requiring payment.

Within a month of aquiring this debt MKDP LLP issued the claim in the Northampton County Court

"County Court Business Centre" issued on 23rd May.

I have issued CCA request to Barclaycard back in 2012 with no response,

I have also issued a SAR request to Barclaycard with no response.

The only acknowledgement I have recieved was when I raised this with Apex in writing

and they contacted Barclaycard "their client" who responed with

"Please advise the customer that copies of applications are only available for legal reasons,

we now require confirmation of this"

I have kept all of the letters from the agencies that have been involved,

they all claim two differing amounts for the same account

all their letters cross each other at differing times.

Something has gone seriously wrong here.

My account has been mismanaged to the point that I have no idea if this is my account or not.

The account number is mine but I do not recognise the balances (two different, same account).

My requests for confirmation of these accounts and how the balances have been derived

have never been addressed.

Now MKDP LLP start proceedings against me like a bully in a play ground "pay up or else!"

If I was fully to blame for all of this I might have entered into some payment scheme,

Barclaycard has got somthing wrong and I'm just expected to pay for it.

I have no legal experiance but I wil do my best to fight these businesses

that are praying on peoples fear of debt and the law!

Sorry for the rant.

Please let me know if there is anything specific you hero's require to help me draft a defence

worthy enough to stand up in court...

. Deadline for defense is 28th June which I am being told I can email to CCBC Defendant sxxxxxxxxx.

I plan to get this in by the 27th.

Once again I thank you all that offer sound advice on this forum..... Just hope I can stand up to the pressure!

K

Ok, Looked at questions on link, i'll answer all the questions in bold.

Name of Claiment: MKDP LLP

Claim Date: 23 May 2014

What is the claim for: The claiment claims the sum of £8,847.14 being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a regulated agreement originally between the Defendant and Barclaycard. The Defendant's account was XXXXXXXXXX and was assigned to the claimant on 22/6/2012. Notice of this has been provided to the defendant. The defendant has failed to make payments in accordance with the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served persuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant claims the sum of £8,847.14 and costs. The Claimant has compiled as is necessarry, with the pre-action conduct practice direction.

What is the value of the claim: £9257

Has the claimant included section 69 interest: No

Is the claim for: Credit Card

When did you enter into agreement: Before 2007

Who has issued the claim: Debt purchaser

Were you aware the account had been assigned: Yes, 14 days before claim

Have you been receiving statutory notices: No, with exception to the first one from Barclaycard in 2012

Why did you cease payments: Kept receiving demands for differing amounts, not convinced they were my account

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved: Yes

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan: No, although entered into a min £100 a month payment with Robinson Way whom promised to resolve my issues with B/Card. The payment was to insure no action or threats, after paying for six months with nothing but threats I cancelled the direct debit.

What I need to do: Requested CCA from Barclaycard in 2012 also SAR request, nothing returned. Also requested CPR 31.14 from MKDP LLP. Sent SD on 29th May. Response to claim made online marked "I intend to defend all of this claim"

I hope all of the above is clear and what you are looking for, I am begining to lose all sense of rational thought. Trying to do the right thing, but wondering if i have bitten off my than I can chew. Time to man up and get angry again!

Thank you for your patience, all the replies are appreciated.

K

Thank You Andy,

Very busy at work today, but working from home tomorrow so will take an hour or two out to work on this and post tomorrow afternoon.

Many thanks for your valued assistance.

OMH

Hi Andy/guys

Recieved this below from MKDP, does this alter my defense statement in any way or is it, as I suspect, smoke and mirrors?

We write with reference to your recentrequest to inspect the documents referred to

in our statement of case under CPR 31.'14.

Unfortunately at this time we are unable to fulfil your request and as such we will

Need to liaise with the original lender to request the appropriate documents. We will

Forward these to you upon receipt but this may take up to 8 weeks.

However, we draw your attention to thef act that this claim is for a balance less than

£10,000.00 and the normal track will bethe small claims track which is governed by

the Rules and Practice Directions of CPR27. This means that Part 31 of the Rules is

not applicable to your claim pursuant toCPR 27.2(1)(b) and CPR 31.1(2). It is not our

intention to obstruct proceedings, on thecontrary it is our view that the early

disclosure of documents assists inreaching settlement. It is also worth noting that we

are required to file and serve on you and the Court copies of all documents upon

which we intend to reply at least 14 daysprior to any date fixed for a final hearing in

order to substantiate our claim and incompliance with CPR27.4.

Please note that now that a claim has been issued it is your responsibility to file a

response and we may enter judgment if an Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is

not filed at the appropriate time. Forthe avoidance of doubt it is our contention that

you are in a position whereby you can respondto the claim form to the extent that

you can admit or deny both liability and quantum without sightof any documents.

MKDP

I will continue to research MKDP defense on this forum and post for comment.

Regards

K (OMH)

Hi Guys,

I am still working on my defence and will post in the next 24hrs or so.

I do have a question: If the Claimant purchased this debt at typically 10% or less of the balance,

how is it morally right or legal to claim these inflated balances?

Is this not "Unfair" and I believe the originator of this debt has received tax relief of 80% on the debt?

Therefore these companies are making money out of thin air! could the following be submitted in a defense claim?

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 and, by virtueof Regulation 8(2), "shall not be binding on the consumer".

Just a thought

Regards

K (OMH)

Thanks Andy,

It does make you wonder if there is such a thing as Justice!

Using other peoples defence statements posted on here has helped me to couple a defence together

which I hope meets the requirements of the courts and offers some credible defence.

As it would appear they are chasing two seperate Barclaycard accounts (one through claim other through demands and threats)

and I have ever only held one BC card/account,

is there some grounds for mentioning that,

any account they think they have on me must surely have been mis-managed by either Barclaycard or MKDP LLP?

or am I missing the point and at this stage it is irrelevant?

Is mishandling an account by either the original account owner or the assigned owner even grounds for defence?

Many thanks for your sound advice and guidance

K (OMH)

Hi Andy,

Thank you for you patience, I believe I've got it now. Please see below for comment.

1. In the Northampton(CCBC) County Court

Claim number XXXXXXX

Between

MKDP LLP

and

XXXXXXXXXXXXX – Defendant

DEFENCE

1. I, XXXXXXX of (Address) am The Defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by MKDP LLP

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim and put The Claimant to strict proof thereof.

3. The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim are vague and fail to disclose any cause of action; they appear to be an abuse of the process in that they fail to deal with the basic rules of pleading in accordance with the civil procedure rules. (Even allowing for the constraints of the bulk issue system)

4. No documents supporting the claim in the particulars have been offered which The Defendant needs to establish what agreement it is that this action is based upon and so The Claimant's claim appears without merit.

5. On receipt of the Claim Form the Defendant sent a CPR 31.14 request for a copy of the agreement, default notice, notice of assignment and a statement of account showing how the amount claimed has been reached which form the basis ofthis claim.

6. The Defendant also sent a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a copy of the agreement.

7. It has been confirmed via letter from The Claimant that the requests were received but unable to fulfil The defendant’s request due to not being inpossession of the original documents and implying they require eight weeks to fulfil The Defendants request.

8. To date No documentation has been received from The Claimant.

9. As a result, the Claimants claim does not contain sufficient particulars to permit me to file a properly particularised and pleaded defence. I am at a disadvantage to respond to this claim. Consequently, I deny all allegations onthe particulars of claim and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

10. It is denied that I have an agreement with MKDP LLP.

11. If, which is not admitted, such an agreement exists, the precise terms and date of any such agreement are not admitted. I do not have in my possession any such agreement and am not therefore able to comment thereon. The Claimant is put to strict proof as to the date and terms of such agreement.

12. Without admission that any cause of action is shown by The Claimant it is denied that I am indebted to The Claimant as alleged or at all.

13. AND the Defendant

seeks an order that The Claimant’s action is struck out or otherwise is dismissed or struck out on the grounds that any claim cannot succeed.

i. Alternatively if the court decides not to strike out The Claimant’s case, it is requested that The Court orders full disclosure of the requested documents pursuant to the civil procedure Rules.

ii. The Defendant respectfully asks the permission of The Court to amend this defence if or when The Claimant provides full disclosure of the requested documents and allows inspection of the original documents.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this defence are true.

(Signed)

Hi Andy,

I do appreciate your help.

I have read the relevant post, and I am probably being a bit thick,

are you asking me to remove a paragraph from my defence statement?

If so it's not clear to me, or are you suggesting a complete re-write.

I have read many of the posted defence claims and they all look very siimilar.

Please point out the obvious so that I can attempt a new version.

Regards

K (OMH)

Edited by Off My Head

Hi Andy,

What would we do without you! If I am right, I believe you are suggesting keeping short and sweet. I have read some more threads and this seems to pretty much fit the bill. Please let me know if I am missing anything as the 28th is getting close and I want this delivered before 28th.

Particulars of Claim

1.The claimant claims the sum of £8,847.14 being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a regulated agreement originally between the Defendant and Barclaycard.

2.The Defendant's account was XXXXXXXXXX and was assigned to the claimant on 22/6/2012. Notice of this has been provided to the defendant.

3.The defendant has failed to make payments in accordance with the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served pursuant to the consumer credit Act 1974.

The Claimant claims the sum of £8,847.14 and costs.

The Claimant has compiled as is necessary,

with the pre-action conduct practice direction.

DEFENCE

I xxxx xxxx of xxxxxx am the Defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by MKDP LLP. Not required they know who you are

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2.Paragraph 1 is denied It is not accepted that the Defendant has an agreement with the Claimant. The Defendant has no knowledge of, or has in their possession any agreement pertaining to the account number given in the Particulars of Claim and so cannot admit or deny an agreement with Barclaycard.

3.Paragraph 2 is denied it is denied that a Notice of Assignment was served I have no knowledge of who the claimant is or had any communication with regards this alleged debt.

4.Paragraph 3 is denied I have not been served with a Default Notice nor been requested to make any payments..

Therefore it is not accepted with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and

b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

c) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

5. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it isexpected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

6.Despite a request being made under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, for the agreement and the other documents referred to in theStatement of Particulars, and on payment of the statutory fee of £1.00; the Claimant is and remains in Default of said s78 request.

6.A further request made via CPR31.14, after the claim had been issued, has also failed to elicit a copy of the agreement and other documents on which the Claimant is basing their claim.

The Claimant has responded that, they are not in possession of any paperwork connected to this claim and that it will take at least 8 weeks to comply.

7. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of section136 of the Law of Property Act and section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

8. The Agreement cannot be enforced against the Defendant without an order of the court by the reason of the fact that both the Original Creditor and the Assignee remain in default as set out above and by reason of Section 78 of theAct.

9. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

I look forward to your reply, keeping fingers crossed.

K (OMH)

Edited by Andyorch
Edited and added.

Hi All,

Quick update,

I emailed defence as instructed on Tuesday night only to receive an automated response saying

they will respond between 5 and 10 days, then it said

Note: we only deal with claims that have a prefix of X, Q, & J.

Mine was prefix A, huge panic!

decided as I still had time to print off a copy and send direct to court using special delivery.

I should add that although I was able to login to Moneyclaim I was unable to upload my defence due to the system not recognising

the Claim Number or password which was on the claim papers.

I am about to ring the court to make sure my defence has been received. Deadline 28th June.

As for them MKDP LLP expecting me to cave in.

... well, their in for a nasty surprise!

I have been logging and recording phone calls for months,

I have kept every piece of conflicting communications they have sent and I know they have got accounts mixed up.

.... Bring it on! (My new found confidence courtesy of CAG & it's members)

Regards

K (OMH)

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Update: Court acknowledged receipt of my defense on the 28th June, heard nothing since. Can anybody tell me how long before I am likely to hear from the court? Also what can I expect from them next?

Regards

OMH

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I have received the N180 form which appears straight forward.

I have ticked mediation and asked for local County Court under small claims track.

I have also received a copy of MKDP LLP's completed N180.

No surprises with any of that, mine returned today.

I have also received a package from MKDP which has cleared some of the confusion over the two different amounts they are chasing.

It appears they are also chasing an old Egg Card Account which Barclaycard bought.

This is as yet not subject to legal action and the package is a load of old tosh.

Some reconstiituted copy of a credit agreement that is only a set of terms and conditions.

No date or signiture from me on any CCA,

followed by a load of copy statements from when Barclaycard purchased the debt,

showing 0 on available credit, a balance of a little over 6K then late charges and interest.

This was all based on my request for information and fee for CCA.

As far as I can tell this shows/proves nothing.

the bulk of the Debt appears to be made of of Interest being charge at £116 an month and £12 late payment fee.

There are no statements from before Barclaycard purchased Egg,

which would show the years of PPI I was paying and that I closed the account with no outstanding Balance in 2008.

At that time I also closed a Capital One account and I am currently persuing a substantial PPI claim with them.

Question:

Am I right in thinking MKDP LLP are clutching at straws with this claim.

No date or signature on an original CCA,

just a load of printed copy statements from when Barclaycard bought Egg

showing nothing but interest, late payment fee and balance and a load of copied T&C's.

I shall be reponding to their package of waste paper.

Any advice as always greatly received.

OMH - but getting better

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have today received a small A4 package from MKDP which contains a reconstituted CCA

which appears to be a copy of some terms and conditions with my name and address at the top of the first page.

There is also pages of copy statements but only back to December 2011 a

nd apart from two of the statements they show nothing but interest, late payment charges

and eventually several pages with over limit charges caused by interest and fees.

Does any of this stand up in court?

My signiture appears on nothing and no date.

What do they mean by reconstituted CCA?

I still do not have a full set of statements from opening the account so I am unable to see when I started/cancelled PPi payments.

Are all the charges applied to the account legal.

No mention of the 6 months that I paid £100 a month to Mercers back in 2012

whilst I was querying the account statements/status.

No copy of default notice or letter of assignment.

All I have in my defense is conflicting DCA letters from 4 different DCA's,

bank statements showing the £600 paid to Mercers whilst I was in dispute with Barclaycard to stop Barclaycard taking action.

I am still of the opinion that there has been a mistake with the account that must of occured late 2010/11

The amounts and credit limit shown make no sense to me but I am struggling to think how I can prove this

as they have not supplied any statements from 2002 - 2011 only 2011 to 2012 around the time I started to query the account with Barclaycard.

I suppose the question I am asking,

does any of this documentation constitute proof of an agreement between me and Barclaycard

and the amount they say I owe them?

Strange how it turns up a few days before the mediation call.

As always any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

OMH

Thank you all for your replys.

The statements received only go back to Dec 2011 and only show interest and charges. I am sure during the early 2000's I was pay PPI to most of my credit cards but I have no statements from Barclaycard which would have shown this. I have had a succesful small claim from Opus (Citi) and currently awaiting a response from Capitol One on a PPI Claim.

I now have two seperate disputes with MKDP one of which is an old Egg card that was paid off with a Ballance Transfer and should be easy enough to prove should they decide to go legal with that one.

Are you suggesting I produce a spreadsheet? How would this help? I am still none the wiser to PPI payments on the account. The only date on the T&Cs sent is a header dated 20/11/2011 and a time of 11.36 (possibly a fax header?) This date means nothing to me as the only Barclaycard I have ever owned was taken out in 2002. The T&C's are in a size 2 font and unreadable without a magnafying Glass.

I fail to see how what they have sent me proves the amounts they show are actually owed! Do these charges and fees hold water in court, does this paperwork mean they have me over a barrel? Next Friday I have my mediation call to look forward to and I could really do with a desent argument other than I don't believe their position.

Many thanks for any advice offered.

OMH

Hi Andy/All

Please see attached reconstituted CA and T&Cs. I have scanned as received, the only other documents were pages of copy statements showing nothing other than interest, late payment fees and over limit charges. I am about to total those now for my mediation call at 11:00.

Regards

OMH

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the read, still a little unsure on where I stand with their reconstituted paperwork. Perhaps I can quote you when this goes to court "I must admit Barclay's attempt at a reconstituted leaves a lot to be desired" I have started a spreadsheet to cover what statements they have sent, showing Interest and charges. I have also been referred back to Barclaycard for PPI claim.

Update on the Mediation Call: Firstly I must say the woman handling the call was very professional. During the call I moved my position 3 times with MKDP they remained at their opening stance. They couldn't even get their maths right when talking percentages. After the third attempt by me to negotiate the position I pointed out they were not moving and that was my final offer. Mediation Failed! Next stop court.

Thanks for your support

OMH

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Received court date today (Early December) court hearing moved to local court which is good for me. Time to start pulling this all together, any advise on what to include/exclude would be very welcome. A few do's and dont's for conducting myself in front of the D.J. would be a great help.

Thank You

OMH