• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

charge for payment and funds arrestment scott and co

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Last week I received a letter from scot and co notifying me of enforcement and collection of £659 to be paid within 7 days. I called them and they said it was for non payment of council tax for 2003/4 period. I notified them that in 2003 I was a student renting a room in a shared flat and I was exempt from paying council tax and also at some point in that year I was on benefit for a couple of months. They said to contact the council.

I emailed Edinburgh council and explained the above but got an automated reply saying they will reply within 3 weeks.

Today, I received another letter from scot and co saying they have been instructed to execute a charge for payment and funds arrestment in respect of the debt. They say they're gonna stop access to my bank account etc...

Could you please give me advise on what to do in this situation?

Many thanks in advance

Hi,

Phone Scott and Co on Monday and explain the situation regarding having to wait three weeks on a reply from the council.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks maroondevo52 for your quick reply. on Monday, I will go to the council offices on royal mile Edinburgh and see what they can do then I will let scott and co know.

I will post with an update.

Kind regards

If you can provide the Council with proof ect of your exemption for the year Scott & Co are chasing you for I can't see you having to much trouble.

Was the letter they sent you headed 'Charge for Payment' or were they saying they were going to implement one.

There's no title on the letter but says:

"We have been instructed to execute a charge for payment and funds arrestment in respect of the debt above. This means that you may not have access to funds held in your bank account, building society account or due to you by a third party.

it is essential that you contact us immediately on the above telephone number to prevent this action proceeding."

I gathered my certificates that show the dates when I was a student and I plan to take them tomorrow to Edinburgh council then email scott and co with the results.

What really bugs me is that they can say/do whatever they want and it is up to me/us to chase/prove the contrary. where is the law and what can we do about it? It is worse than a banana republic!

I hope you get this sorted tomorrow, I know where your coming from regarding Scott & Co saying and doing whatever they want, I wouldn't take it personally, with a Summary Warrant for Council Tax the Local Authority takes a large bound file to the Sheriff Clerk with details of all the Council Tax accounts that the Council wants to pursue. The Sheriff signs a covering letter which allows the 10% surcharge and lets the Council do "dilligence" on the debt. There is no individual record held by the court.

Scott & Co will be acting on the Councils 'go ahead' and won't give a jot who they are chasing.

Thanks a lot for your support marrondevo52 and for this site that helps us sheeple. I really appreciate it. I will hopefully write a positive update tomorrow.

Best regards

Thanks a lot for your support marrondevo52 and for this site that helps us sheeple. I really appreciate it. I will hopefully write a positive update tomorrow.

Best regards

Good luck with that, I'm not up the High Street tomorrow so no chance of me bumping into you :)

I'm still due Scott & Co £500 and odd notes and can't wait to get shot of them.

Well, Today the council offices seem to be empty of citizens and open only for PAYMENTS of different things such as parking tickets council payments etc... 2 council workers asking you first about why you're there and then fob you off according to today's criteria. If you're paying you're welcome otherwise they're Not open for help or advice to any struggling CITIZEN. Great...

I was told that my documents supplied by respectable unis in Edinburgh are worth s**** and told to get a letter stating when I was a student. The reluctant guy said " I NEED TO PROVE THAT I WAS A STUDENT OR UNEMPLOYED IN 2003 OR JUST SAY TO SCOTT AND CO THAT YOU'RE POOR AND ARRANGE TO PAY AS LITTLE AS YOU CAN". I said to this ar****** " Why should I pay for something I didn't know and still don't know what it is about and he asked me to come back in the morning or another day." feckless bast**** who have no regard for people. So forget what the information I have supplied to them and the university and the job centre in 2003 and defend yourself.

I will... and I will let everyone know...including the papers...

Sorry for the above rant I was very upset about the incompetence of these so called public servants. Thanks maroondevo52 I also wish you luck with those vultures.

I'll keep you updated.

Yesterday, I sent an email with my problem to most of the relevant/concerned people who are supposed to look after us including MSP's.

Well I can't say much because I could reveal who I am but today I got few responses and the proof I was a student etc... showed them to these people who are supposed to look after us because we pay for them and guess what a simple phone call has stopped all this mess for now. we'll see.

Sounds like good news then, have Scott & Co agreed to stop any action regarding the Charge for Payment and funds arrestment.

Yes scott and co said the account is put on hold and there's no action to be taken for now.

So at least for now my stress levels have dropped and I can get evidences etc.. ready for when they attack again :| because I know they will.

One really big thing I've learned in my life is to never give in to bullies, speak out loud for your rights and never be shy.

• 1 year later...

This is an update on the situation.

I have been dealing with this matter for quite some time and the council recognises that I was a student for the periods I stated and exempted me from paying council tax.

However, they are chasing me for £920 for council tax arrears for while I was receiving JSA.

£320 for 19 December 2002 to 31 March 2003

£600 for 1 April 2003 to 31 August 2003

The council tax band was E.

I do understand that I get only 25% discount when claiming JSA and I know that I do have to pay council tax, but the problem is I was renting a single room with other 2 tenants who's names are also on the council tax bill.

I was advised by the council to pay otherwise they will add 10% surcharge etc. I did pay the full amount and let the council know that I will make a complaint.

I really find it very unfair that I have to pay the full amount while the 2 other tenants pay nothing.

Is this legal? who's liable when there's a joint tenancy?

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry to hear this has still not been resolved to your satisfaction.

The council will normally send just one bill, addressed either to one liable person or (if the council is aware that there is more than one liable person) in the joint names of several

liable persons. One of the jointly liable persons must pay the full bill; how they share the cost is a matter for them to decide among themselves.

Have you had a word with the other liable tenants.

Hi maroondevo52,

The council are aware of the 2 other joint tenants and have their names on the bill but they don't know where they are and I also don't know either. They were just tenants renting rooms and the landlord put their names on the contract.

Why should I pay their council tax?

Can I pursue this with the council? can they do this legally?

Thanks

I agree there's no way you should be paying their share of the council tax.

I'd think phoning the council again and getting their take on things would be the way to go.

Good luck with that.

• 3 months later...

Did you ever get this resolved MAKROX.