• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

OrgUK v Smile - Hello to all fellow travellers on the road to a successful claim*WON*

org1uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My first post by way of introduction ... signed up about a month ago, and have finally found some time to have a look-see around the forum, and many thanks to all contributors to date.

This weekend, I hope to kick off my claims process of some £800+ to date, and will keep you in touch with my progress. Like many of you, found myself with some unexpected periods of financial difficulties these last 2 years ... but will not bore you with past details.

Sufficient to say, am seriously unhappy with Smile about paying charges upon charges, especially the additional £5 per day you are charged when over your overdraft limit on top of 'standard' charges, and which has held me back from getting myself financially stable again. Prior approaches to Smile about these charges have proved fruitless, so happy to have found this community.

I do have one question to date ...

Do you need to make a separate claim for each account? I had 2 current accounts [1 now closed] + 1 credit card account [card been taken to, with a pair of scissors] that I am looking to process claims on. I cannot seem to find a definitive answer, though some signatures seem to suggest that separate claims are required.

Any clarification would be much appreciated :-)

Wishing everyone success with their claim[s], myself included. As is the norm on the forum, do take note that my opinions are my own and based on my experiences ... for legal advice, you should always consult a registered and insured lawyer. [B][COLOR=Sienna]SMILE[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=darkorange][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Credit Card: [COLOR=Black]*** Settled in Full *** [COLOR=DarkOrange]Current Account 1: [COLOR=Black]*** Settled in Full ***[/COLOR] S.A.R. LBA: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]sent 26/01/2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR] [B][COLOR=Sienna]CAHOOT [COLOR=DarkOrange]Prelim: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]sent 26/01/2007 for £848.01[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=Sienna] [/COLOR][/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Guest ian cognito

Hello and welcome,

The only reason for the separation of claims is if they total over £5000 and that is to keep them within the small claims track, as your claims are less than this, the bank accounts can be grouped together, to be honest not so sure about the credit cards only because they may be dealt with by a different office/department.

Your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) will cover all info they hold on any accounts, I sent 2 letters and cheques as my accounts were co-op and smile and the returned on as surplus and now seem to be dealing with both accounts together.

Smile do seem to be being the most reasonable of banks re paying up, probably because as you have pointed out, there is no way they can justify the level of charges.

Good luck with it!

Spot on Janquinny. Good luck Orguk.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Many thanks Janquinny and Caro ...

Wishing everyone success with their claim[s], myself included. As is the norm on the forum, do take note that my opinions are my own and based on my experiences ... for legal advice, you should always consult a registered and insured lawyer. [B][COLOR=Sienna]SMILE[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=darkorange][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Credit Card: [COLOR=Black]*** Settled in Full *** [COLOR=DarkOrange]Current Account 1: [COLOR=Black]*** Settled in Full ***[/COLOR] S.A.R. LBA: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]sent 26/01/2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR] [B][COLOR=Sienna]CAHOOT [COLOR=DarkOrange]Prelim: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]sent 26/01/2007 for £848.01[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=Sienna] [/COLOR][/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellow travellers,

An interesting point of note ... received notification of receipt of S.A.R today, with confirmation ''... that arrangements will be made for the information to be provided within 40 days of the date of this letter."

The date being the 21 November 2006, yet I can confirm that they received the S.A.R on the 10th ... another delaying tactic and/or are they seriously overrun with their workload?

Will contact Customer Care with a view to reminding them that they have 40 days from receipt of S.A.R, which is my understanding of their responsibility, and let everyone know the outcome.

Hi fellow travellers,

An interesting point of note ... received notification of receipt of S.A.R today, with confirmation ''... that arrangements will be made for the information to be provided within 40 days of the date of this letter."

The date being the 21 November 2006, yet I can confirm that they received the S.A.R on the 10th ... another delaying tactic and/or are they seriously overrun with their workload?

Will contact Customer Care with a view to reminding them that they have 40 days from receipt of S.A.R, which is my understanding of their responsibility, and let everyone know the outcome.

I have now contacted Customer Care and it was noted in their database that they need to respond by the 21st December, which is correct, and not as stated in their letter. Apologies were offered, and they themselves, suggested that the 'standard' letter will need revision ... ?

Perhaps it is the case that they are overrun with cases to resolve, and the 'standard' letter is a potential cop-out in case they are unable to respond within 40 days. I have noted in some other posts that they are being taken to the wire ...

I had also noted that my CC account was not included in the letter 'subject line', and as per my original S.A.R. It was agreed that this would be added to details required ... how kind? At least on this note, it would seem that you are able to include CC account together with your current account, and it does not have to go to another department.

The SAR refers to the subject, ie you, so it applies to all dealings with them no matter how many accounts etc you may hold.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for the clarification Caro, never thought of myself as the 'subject' :-)

Yet it seems that Smile were not going to send any info, even though all account details were included in S.A.R, regards credit card charges until I had contacted them by telephone to clarify their acknowledgement of receipt?

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Can't believe it so long until I have posted ... an illness in the family and a heavy workload of late.

Anyways, on to my update and the saga that is dealing with SMILE, and following on from my last post:

They did not meet their 40 day deadline, and was also missing information on one of my accounts which I closed in the last quarter of last year. Gave them a call on the 22nd December, to remind them of their responsibilites and to find out when the information would be sent, and was informed that it had gone out that morning. Lies and more lies!

Finally received info on the 3rd of January as was not posted until 28th December. Anyways, not happy and found some time to post Prelim Letter on the 10th January, together with an LBA regards compliance to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request).

Received the usual template, saying that we are investigating and refer to complaints procedures, etc. Lo and behold, their time runs out in the 'morrow, and still no response. So will be staying up to write up the LBA for return of charges, and see if I can't find some monies to take action in response to missing information.

To date at £2309.75, not including missing account information.

Shocked to say the least!

An update which may be of interest ...

I have just logged onto my home page to make my next CC payment. Noticed a refund of £245 to my CC account with no indication of reason to date. Nice result as far as it goes :)

The interesting bit is that this amount is short of the £300 + a small amount of interest I am claiming as part of my overall claim ... having checked my schedule of charges, the £245 takes me to the point at which charges reverted to £11 in July 2006.

I will of course chase the rest of the monies, on the basis that I would not have incurred additional charges at £11 a pop, if not for the prior unlawful charges applied to this and my current account, of which there is no movement to date, and LBA should be with Smile in the 'morrow.

Balance of charges remaining now at £2064.75

Anyone else had this experience and/or yet another ploy instigated by SMILE to hold back any monies they can?

Will update as and when further progress is made :)

Also, it has yet to be proved that 11.00 is not a penalty charge. It merely responds to the OFT investigation to a figure of 12.00 for charges. You need proof that defaults have cost 11.00, so carry on.

I am in it for the duration Caro ... and trust all is going well with your own claim :)

Excellent News!

I have now received £2174.50 in refunded charges, without recourse to the courts.

Less satisfactory, is the following:

"As debit interest doesn't constitute a charge or fee this hasn't been refunded to your account ...". Pretty obvious, but denies the fact that I would not have incurred the interest in the first place.

Both that, and the fact that I have still to receive information on a closed account [no indication of when I can expect the information], means that I will be writing a letter accepting above as part payment, and will continue with my claim as planned.

Thanks to all contirbutors on the site, and I will be in a position to offer a donation on successful completion of my claim :)

Hi All,

Now ***settled in full*** on my first current account and credit card ... and it sure feels good. Many thanks to everyone here :)

Will now follow up on my LBA regards S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) on my second current account with SMILE on the 13th if I don't here from them before, and send in LBA to CAHOOT on the 14th :)

Donation on its way :)

Congratulations. Thanks for the donation and don't forget the survey too.

Congratulations. Thanks for the donation and don't forget the survey too.

Thanks caro ... hopefully another donation on the way, once outstanding claims completed successfully :)

Survey also completed ...