• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Regulation does not say where following the levy VISIT the goods are not removed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

....There is Counsel Opinion which supports charging the Header C fee on the same day as the Header B fee because the application of the regulations can be interpreted either

‘nothing expressly suggests that any fees chargeable under Schedule 3(1) ©(Schedule 5 forcouncil tax) must relate to a different visit to any fees charged under Schedule 3(1)(B) (5(1) (B) for Council Tax), indeed, the wording..in my view clearly suggests to the contrary: the phrase in brackets – “where, following the levy, the goods are not removed” makes more sense if the visit is the same visit as the one during which the levy is made’.

‘In my view therefore, a separate fee is chargeable for attendance with a vehicle on a visit where a levy takes place in respect to that Liability Order’....

This opinion has been based solely on the interpretation of three words: "following the levy". It seems no thought has been given to what may have been meant by the wording whilst viewed in context with provisions under other heads of the fee schedule. There also seemed no consideration given to how the process of identifying goods, levying distress etc., would work in practice.

It is ambiguous (read out of context), and the phrase: ‘where following the levy, goods are not removed’, could either relate to a separate visit or to the one in which the levy was made. It would therefore be necessary to consider the aforementioned points in order to make an informed decision as to whether charging an attendance to remove fee on the same visit as a levy would be lawful under the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992.

Firstly, from the wording of Schedule 5 (charges connected with distress) it is made expressly clear that under Head A and B, only one fee may be applied in respect of each visit. It is also clear that should the person making the visit succeed in levying on the first or second visit, the fee raised would neither be the prescribed £22.50 nor £16 under head A, rather a head B charge calculated as a percentage of the sum outstanding on the liability order, so no further fee may be raised in respect of these visits. It is noted that all three charges may only lawfully be raised in circumstances where at least two visits to the premises resulted in failure to obtain a levy and any subsequent visit was successful. Conversely if luck (a matter of interpretation) was on the side of the person levying distress, and a levy made on the first visit, only one charge could be lawfully applied – that under head B.

The significance is not only in regards each fee described clearly having to be raised on separate visits, but also the similarity of the wording (and differences) under head C to the description of the provision under head A.

Head A is worded such that the prescribed fee either £22.50 or £16 (dependent upon it being the first or second visit) is an amount to cover costs of an action, which is merely visiting with a view to carrying out that action:

"
A
For making a visit to premises with a view to levying distress (where no levy is made)—
"

Similarly Head C is worded such that Reasonable costs and fees incurred covers costs of an action, which is merely attending with a view to carrying out that action:

"
C
For one attendance with a vehicle with a view to the removal of goods (where, following the levy, goods are not removed)
"

Under both head A and C, in order to raise a fee, it's a requirement that no action be carried out, you may also reasonably assume that in both cases a visit to the debtor's premises would be made in a vehicle.

Apart from the purpose of the visit, a distinction is also made between the fee, which is prescribed in respect of head A, whilst for head C, reasonable costs and fees incurred, are provided.

The fee under head A(i) is £22.50 (and may not deviate), whilst under head C local authorities typically allow their contractors to charge around £130.

It implies that for an apparently identical action, the cost difference must be accounted for in some way. This could only realistically be down to the type of vehicle used by the person intending to levy distress (head A) or remove goods (head C). A bailiff having no previous levy would not have identified goods for removal, so arriving in his regular transport with a view to removing goods and raising the associated fee would be dishonestly doing so, given that in identical circumstances, under head A(i), he would be entitled only to the prescribed £22.50.

Parliament therefore, in the case of council tax recovery, appear to have intended the phase: "where, following the levy, goods are not removed", not literally to have meant following the action of levying (immediately), but following a levy in circumstances where the bailiff had previously identified what (if any) goods were available to remove.

Edited by outlawla
  • Confused 1

The following, from another thread (linked to in the quote) is relevant to this thread:

ATR can only very rarely be attempted anyway. For a bailiff to ATR, he must visit in a van, something that they rarely (if ever) do on first vists.

In addition, if he did visit with a "view" (intention) he must have had a levy in place beforehand. He cannot visit with a "view" to levy as well as a "view" to remove at the same time.

As I said before, what he could possibly do is visit with a "view" to levy, then levy and then remove under Head D. If the council were to have said this, it would have been far more than the drivel that it has come out with.

I can't see that the authorities could successfully argue against the above.

I could imagine councils trying to argue that the bailiff was not visiting with a "view" to levy as well as a "view" to remove at the same time, rather he had "actually" levied (under head B) at the same time he visited with a "view" to remove.

As stated above, this (if contracts permitted) may allow the bailiff to actually remove goods (under head D) on the same visit, however the argument that he had "actually" levied under head B at the same time he visited with a "view" to remove (and raise both fees), would be grasping at straws. The fact that a levy fee is raised under head B does not alter the fact that the visit was made with a view to levy distress.

Edited by outlawla