• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Gingi1 v First Direct

Gingi1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All!

Well, I have received my statements and am in the process of calculating my claim.

Next I shall send my letter and the spreadsheet, but I am just wondering where to find the spreadsheet (:confused:) I am having a blond day :) any help appreciated.

Gingi1

If I've helped, please tick the scales at the bottom left of this message!

17th Sept: Found this site! :)

Lloyds TSB

22 Sept: Subject Access Req.

3 Nov: statements arrived. Charges calulated at:

A/c 1 - £2,178.01 + int of £1,206.54 (18.4% authorised)

A/c 2 - £206.11 + int of £211.07 (18.4%)

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

28 Dec - rejection letter

2 March - issued

16 April - complained at court failure to forward defence

Halifax

22nd September: Subject Access Request.

4th November: No reply so LBA giving 7 days.

Cap One

22nd September: Subject Access Req.

5th October: Letter saying no record of account!

15th October: Replied telling them to try harder...

22nd October: Subject Access Req acknowledged.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent my claim and spreadsheet on 10th October. Received a letter today stating that they are willing to pay £900 (I have claimed £1700).

Is there a specific letter to send now, or shall I just write accepting the £900 as part payment and notify them that I will be pursuing the rest through the courts?

Any advice welcomed :)

Help! I am all confused, just typing out the rejection letter, but it states that I will accept the offer as part payment and will pursue the balance and they have until the date sent in the LBA letter to respond, but I haven't sent the LBA letter, I have only sent the first letter with a copy of the schedule of charges and they have made me an offer. What now?

Accept the offer as partial settlement, wait until the 14 days has elapsed from when you sent your firsty letter then on the 15th day send the LBA.

Dont let them dictate the timetable, from now on they follow your lead.

I love the smell of banks coughing up refunds early in the morning

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

Did you get a reply to your refusal letter yet? Just got a full offer after refusing the initial amt in full settlement last week. Have sent acceptance today and will now have to wait for it to hit my account (hopefully soon!)

If you are still waiting, hang in there - you have the right to all your money and they will give it to you in the end!! :-):p

.·:*¨

:-) ¨*:·. Blueberrys .·:*¨:) ¨*:·.

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the STARS****

:roll:

If I've helped please click my scales !

:p THANX!!!

HalifaX PLC ***WON 24.11.06 - REFUNDED £666.94 after MCOL***

First Direct ***WON - REPAID IN FULL 3.11.06!!!***

Barclays ***WON - REPAID IN FULL 31.10.06!!!***

Lloyds TSB (Dad's) ***WON***14.05.07

I always thought that if you send a prelim letter and don't get a satisfactory responce i.e. your full claim offered back, then you go straight to LBA regardless of whether they replied after 1 day or on the 14th day. What I mean is, you don't have to wait 14 days if they reply to you before the 14 days is up, they have a max of 14 days to reply but if they reply sooner you can send your next letter straight away.

Did that make sense???

My YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

Wifes YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 23/11/06: LBA 27/11/06: Offer Rejection 17/12/06: MCOL 09/02/07

Joint YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

My FD account: Settled

Wifes FD account: Settled

As far as I understood it, having given 14 days in the preliminary letter, this dictates the timetable for the LBA - it is possible, albeit not likely, that they might make further contact within that time frame and shows you have given them every chance if you have to take your claim to court. My LBA went with the partial acceptance because the 14 day period was up at that time.

.·:*¨

:-) ¨*:·. Blueberrys .·:*¨:) ¨*:·.

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the STARS****

:roll:

If I've helped please click my scales !

:p THANX!!!

HalifaX PLC ***WON 24.11.06 - REFUNDED £666.94 after MCOL***

First Direct ***WON - REPAID IN FULL 3.11.06!!!***

Barclays ***WON - REPAID IN FULL 31.10.06!!!***

Lloyds TSB (Dad's) ***WON***14.05.07

I have also sent a letter to First Direct asking for 6 years worth of credit card statements, copies of signed loan agreements and proof that the PPI I was 'mis sold' was not infact 'mis sold'!

I had a separate policy which I paid into for years to cover my salary if I was unable to work for any reason, but was informed that I had to take their policy or not qualify for the loan. The only trouble is, my loans are all pretty old. I'm going to give it a go though.

If they didn't hate me before (claim going through for £1780) they'll definately hate me now :D

• 2 weeks later...

HELP! LBA has expired and when I went online to look at the Money Claim I realised that I have already claimed the interest (8%) in my previous correspondence by mistake. The bank has not offered me the total of the charges in any case, but does this mean I can not proceed and need to write to them explaining this and giving them more time? HELP!

Well from searching the site and reading other peoples posts on mistakes made, I have decided to proceed with my claim. The bank have never offered me the full amount of the charges only, so I figure I am safe. Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Am in negotiations with DG Solicitors over my claim but in the meantime I have received a defence from First Direct.

I have to return the questionaire for my local county court by 7th January and I will incur a further £100 costs - can I then claim that back as well?

Thanks.

They are being very [fill in the blank] now. You will be able to claim it back, if you win or they agree to it etc. I'm in the same position but am a couple of weeks behind.

You must get it in the the court in time, or FD will win by default.

___

MBNA VISA - PL sent 23/10

MBNA MCard - PL sent 23/10

FD - PL sent 23/10, offered approx 75% 27/10

Marbles - PL sent 23/10, rejected letter received 27/10

Gingi1

You look like you are ahead of me by 2 weeks. FD have filed a defence and I have until 21 January to fill in the AQ. Let me know how you get on.

You say you are in negotiation with DG - are you in direct contact (telephone, letter or email) with them and how is it going?

Wishing you all the best.

I am wondering whether to write a letter informing them that I intend to file the AQ with a draft order for directions (see my thread).

FIRST DIRECT

£3047 charges

£648.45 interest @ 8%

£120 court costs

TOTAL: £3815.45, SETTLED IN FULL 19/01/2007

Hi,

Well I sent back the AQ with the £100 cheque, I have not heard from DG Solicitors since before Christmas. I am (was!) in contact via email with DG.

I did not send my AQ back by registered post or anything, what if it arrived a day late? do they win by default? what happens? (I know, I know I should have sent it recorded)

Keep my fingers crossed for your all!

PS I have a complaint against FD lodged with the FO, will keep updating here.