• Tweets

• Looks promising then.  Well done   Dx
    • So a little update.  I sent a complaint to ico and have heard nothing. I just got the general reply email and that's it.  Sat twiddling my thumbs and thought about what I should do next. I searched for the CEO of Studio but then found that he'd left so as keep getting letters from studio about the arrears etc. I thought I'd email the David Twigg. Sent him all the bumpft and a copy of my original complaint and sars request.  Got no response. So didn't know what else to do. Then I thought I'd try through the financial difficulties option on the online form. One last try before I just give up and let them default me.  Then on the 5th June. I got an email from their customer services. That the items that had gone AWOL have all been cancelled. Nothing else on that email, so I had a look in an email account that I don't use anymore and there was an email from the customer service.  That they were sorry for the problems I've had for the last 9 months. That the sars info was emailed to me on 14/04, it wasn't I've kept all spam and deleted emails on that account, they have raised a complaint with their studio pay team regarding the issues, balance dispute, fee's and my credit file. They are hoping to resolve in 3 days but they have upto 56. They also said in regards to my other issues I have to raise a complaint with studio retail but haven't told me how I do that.  The sars info only goes upto the end of December 2023. It has my previous complaints on there but nothing after so I don't know how I get hold of that information. Luckily I've kept copies of every time I've contacted them. Every web chat or social media contact.  Apologies for the extremely long post but I wanted to add everything I could just incase.  I have checked my account balance and it's still minus 900 odd pounds but I'll keep checking to see if it's all cleared and on my credit file.  I'm hoping this is the end of the whole debacle and they close my account because I never want to do this again. Although it's been a learning experience.  Thanks to dx100uk for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.   
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • If you want to cause DCBL trouble, then complain to the SRA.  It would be even more fun if mystic_bertie would complain at the same time, to show the SRA there is a pattern.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Brothers Welcome/Hagarty Claimform - old Loan - now 3yrs later IND are lifting the stay by N244

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they’ll still have to respond, but that can take 40 days. They should respond to CPR, but usually don’t, at all, within any agreed timeframe.

Always worth a call – you have nowt to lose.

• 3 years later...

it’s the oldest trick in the book. Accidentally don’t send the info to the defendant but swear blind you have. They have form for this – just look through the various IND threads, such as this one:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?390785-Welcome-Hegarty-LLP-Claim-Form-received-dated-07-05-13/page7

Again, no application was served. This is clearly their modus operandum. It seriously calls into question their original claim, which had a statement of truth they couldn’t possibly know to be true as it has taken them years to get any documents.

IND are nasty, so you need to make them follow due process carefully. In any response you make, you must point out their failings by stating categorically that no such copy application was received, and that previously they have failed to serve documents, only for them to mysteriously appear in witness statements.

One interesting point. They made the application in April, but their WS includes a document from two weeks ago? My, they can time travel... this may be useful, as the WS should have been served with the application, I think.

I think we need to see the rest of their evidence – credit agreements, etc.

The PoC is here:

"The claimant claims for sums due under a/various Credi Agreement(s) related only to money regulated by the consumer crediticon Act 1974 entered into between the Claimant and the Defendant. The agreement(s) was/ were terminated upon the Defendant failure to comply with the terms of the Agreement(s). The claimant complied with Section III and IV of Annex B of the PD Pre-Action Conduct. And the Claimant Claims: Personal Loan Account number 1346183 balance of 4,417.23 as of 4/4/05. Interest under s69 of the county courticon Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 4/4/05 to 30/5/12 of 581.77 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.97 AND Costs."

To me, that suggests a route of termination which I imagine would need a default notice. They appear to be changing horses mid-stream and are now claiming arrears only. The claim makes no mention of arrears, only the balance. As they have not applied to change their PoC, then you can oppose the application and their WS on this basis. You can only defend what’s put in front of you.

Apologies – my last post will mean little to those who haven’t seen their WS.

The claimant is now stating it only ever asked for arrears, and is only asking for arrears, and therefore a default notice is not required. The new witness statement is actually claiming the account was not terminated!

That’s not what the PoC says. That says they terminated the agreement. That requires a DN under section 87(1)(a) of the CCA.

A couple of things.

I mentioned their PoC stated the account was ‘terminated’. In their activity log (page 16 of the PDF), it states on 31 January 2012 the following:

Closure Code: 38

Closure Reason: Collections Process Exhausted

That seems to confirm the account was closed, and confirms my belief they are trying to pretend they’re only chasing ‘arrears’ as they never issued a DN.

Interestingly, their T&Cs say they will issue a DN if you fail to make payments – if they did not, they have not abided by their own T&Cs. I don’t think they’d like those T&Cs scrutinized. By their own admission, they have NOT followed the correct process when a customer defaults. You would be entitled to assume therefore that a DN had been issued to facilitate enforcement.

I’d love Andy’s views on this.

This was also their first activity since 29 September 2007 – a gap of over four years. The one page report seems to have been run on a different admin system. Interestingly, the far left column has a checkbox for whether the activity was ‘done’. There Ns, one Y. Odd.

Also, the dates in the PoC are wrong. I don’t know why they are using the date 4/4/05, as the balance they claim was from 13/4/07. The balance when the claim was issued was much greater, so their statement of truth was, as we say technically, b******s. This also makes the fake June notice of arrears a load of rubbish. They have selected a figure that simply matches their PoC – because they can’t really change that – yet their statement shows the current arrears to be £5,329. In other words, they have made up the arrears notice to fit their case. That is, in my view, an attempt to mislead the court.

Finally, couple of other ‘convenient’ bits.

In their statement of account, they have added three lots of court/solicitor charges. And rather than add the interest stated in the PoC as a normal charge, they have listed it as a ‘debit adjustment’. This is not transparent and very convenient. In short, their paperwork is made up. The fact that they have reduced the ‘statutory’ interest to keep the amounts under £5k does, in my view, render it non-statutory. *EDIT – they state they kept it under £5k to pay reduced court fees. So what? They make you pay them anyway, by adding to your balance, so it’s a false argument. Just shows they’re making it up as they go along, or they weren’t confident of their case. And why claim any statutory interest at all if the account was still live and in arrears? Oops...*

Next – they are claiming interest when they can’t. Their logs show that no statements were sent out, and therefore no notice of arrears were sent out. No statement – no interest.

Why did your relative not invoke the PPI when out of work?

Another worrying issue – though not useful in defence – are the case notes, where someone called ‘JM’ tells the collectors to contact you at work, write to you at work, contact neighbours, and threaten bailiffs – take that to the FCA...

JM also mentions in May 2005 that they are waiting for charge off. Oh dear. That implies closure was the intention.

Much of this just shows their incompetence, though.

What’s needed now is to get the facts into the right order for your opposing WS. personally I would base it on their PoC clearly stating the account was terminated, therefore a DN is necessary and the application/claim has no merit as they are trying to change their case mid-stream. Also query why it has taken three years to find this info, and therefore question their initial statement of truth.

All the other stuff I’ve mentioned is relatively trite.

• Confused 1

Also suggest you check the figures on the loan – if they have charged interest on the acceptance fee, it may render the agreement unenforceable. Their WS was a bit quick to declare it totally enforceable. I think it should also actually state the total charge for credit, not just the APR and interest rate.

Need Andy’s input here.

I think we also need to look at their timescales and get some case law. It’s sometimes OK for a claimant to issue a claim to stop the SB clock, if the case is properly inchoate (ie. begun but not fully formed), but I’m sure there’s case law that makes clear you can’t then pull your case together at leisure – it needs to be timely.

It’s worth adding some background to their claim being for arrears.

It is true that if they had only claimed for arrears, then a default notice would not necessarily be required. Once the agreement has run its course (in this case that would be around September 2007, or 36 months after the agreement was taken out) then the agreement has ended, and any monies outstanding would be arrears, ie. all monies would be due, and there would be no attempt to get monies earlier than due which is what s87 is all about.

But that is not what they have claimed. Their proper course should have been to apply to alter their PoC, but I don’t see how they can realistically ask to do that three years down the line. I think it would be an abuse of process. Their PoC hangs them. That’s why it’s important to call them out on their original statement of truth. The PoC said ‘terminated’ and ‘closed’ because of failure to adhere to the T&Cs – not that it had run its natural cycle.

There’s some recent case law where judges have commented on the statement of truth and lack of clarity in claims – it’s not binding, but the judge might find it informative. I’ll see what I can dig out.

Get yer skates on!

Here you go – CCA Section 60 (1)

Form and content of agreements.

(1)

The Secretary of State shall make regulations as to the form and content of documents embodying regulated agreements, and the regulations shall contain such provisions as appear to him appropriate with a view to ensuring that the debtor or hirer is made aware of—

(a) the rights and duties conferred or imposed on him by the agreement,

(b) the amount and rate of the total charge for credit (in the case of a consumer credit agreement),

© the protection and remedies available to him under this Act, and

(d) any other matters which, in the opinion of the Secretary of State, it is desirable for him to know about in connection with the agreement.

My contention is that the agreement does not show the amount of charge for credit. It leaves you to work it out.

Does that make it unenforceable?

Do you know where it might be? I doubt you copied it inaccurately. Stick to what it says. Just state it as fact – the court will (should!) have a copy in the file.

It should be in the case file that the court holds. The PoC is pretty critical – it should not have gone anywhere.

But, as it’s IND, call the court and check – in case IND have made any sneaky applications to amend.

No. In the Original PoC they say the account was terminated because if a failure to abide by the T&Cs. They can't backtrack on that, but are trying to.

They are now claiming it was not terminated due to a breach of the T&Cs because that would have required a DN — and they know they did not issue one. In other words, they have changed their story because the original PoC necessitated a DN.

They are fibbing to suit their available evidence.

Hearing is in three days. Better get a move on and play the LiP card. They were also rather late sending their WS to support their app – and the OP did not receive a copy of the app in April – so I think there should be leeway.

Think it’s Friday, Andy.

Need to add in to the WS something about the claimant sending correspondence to different addresses yet suddenly finding you near the court date.