Personal letter from Charterhouse Claims (PPI). WHY??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4400 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just wondering about a personally addressed letter I received from Charterhouse Claims today, thanking me for my recent enquiry as to PPI reclaims, and enclosing the relevant claim forms (I have never made any enquiry at all about PPI).

Just wondering why I've received this - do they know something I don't know, or is it just spam, fishing for business?

I say this because the letter bears my full name and address, plus my landline phone (that I had disconnected 3 years ago), and my 'proper' email address that I only use for official business like banking, etc. It's the inclusion of my landline number that piqued my interest - it was always ex-directory, is long gone, and was only ever given out to my creditors, and nobody else.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never taken out PPI. When asked about it, I've always refused it. There may of course have been occasions when it was sneaked onto my accounts without my knowledge (hence the current PPI hoo-haa), but this is where it all becomes a blur.

When I first started using credit cards, I was 19 (I'm now 27), had my own home for the first time, and relied on lots of different credit accounts just to find my feet. I got out of that spiral a few years ago, but in the initial years, I was maintaining half a dozen credit cards at any one time. I have no real idea if I have had PPI on any (other than when I've outright declined the cover when asked to purchase it).

I've had credit cards with all of the following, some of which had whopping balances at some point, but all of which were managed well (no defaults, etc.):

HSBC (2003)

Capital One (2004)

Barclaycard (x2 seperate cards) (2007 & 2011)

Vanquis (2007)

Virgin (MBNA) (2008)

Aqua (Halifax) (2007)

All of my credit has been specifically credit cards.

Are Charterhouse known to be handling claims for any of the above companies?

Might there be something 'in' this letter from them, or should I just ignore it?

If I have had PPI, it has definitely been mis-sold...namely because I wasn't aware of it.

Thanks for reading!

Pretty much as I suspected, thanks. Yes, very clever, esp. in light of the personal info that I share with nobody - damn credit companies selling my info at some point, I guess :)

I shan't bother pursuing a PPI claim, I'd only bother if I didn't have to go through the time and effort of contacting half a dozen companies, not even knowing if I'd ever had PPI. Was just wondering what this letter was all about...

...thanks :)

Well if you do have a suspicion of ppi on any form of credit and you can't remember, you can get a copy of the agreement for £1 or the whole works about you for a tenner. Just keep it in mind as there could be a golden egg somewhere waiting for you.