• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Quixote versus Clydesdale

Quixote
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Thought I'd start a new thread re Clydesdale!

Story so far.........

26th May....sent prelim letter. Got standard reply telling me 'sorry you're not happy. Please s*d off!! HAve a free complaints leaflet!'

11th June....LBA sent. Absolutely no reply (even though I asked them to treat the second letter as an appeal!)

23rd September......Summary Cause forms sent by registered post to Dundee Sherrif Court claiming £1024 plus interest!

Now awaiting the next stage. Would anyone disagree that the delay between sending the LBA and submitting the court summons can be construed as a reasonable period during which the bank could reply? Must admit, I'm starting to get a little bit nervous

Mods, please feel free to move this if I've accidentally posted in the wrong place! :-)

Hi,

I hope you get everything you are due from these charlatans.

I am at the very start of taking them on.

I visited the bank and requested bank statements going back 6 years and was informed that I would be charged £5 per statement!

that's £360 just to get information that I am entitled to.

I will keep you informed with my progress and will be keeping an eye on how you get on.

Best of luck!

09/10/06:Halifax claims opened with prelims

claim 1 = 1392.38

claim 2 = 1437.74

claim 3 = 1480.76

claim 4 = 0185.32

Changed tactics.

1 claim of £4600 submitted - will travel to england to go to court if required.

27/10/06: LBA sent

01/11/06: Recieved an offer of £764

05/11/06: Refusal of offer sent

11.11.06: MCOL submitted

13.11.06: MCOL issued

16.11.06: MCOL aknowledged

17.11.06: recieved withdrawal of offer letter - too late, it's already with court!

27.11.06: recieved written confirmation from Northampton County Court. Still no correspondance from Halifax. They have until 15/12/06 to respond.

O1/12/06: Settled in full, including interest.

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Tell them to get knotted, it would've cost me about £185 too!!!!!!

I can give you a copy of the letter they sent me if you like? It clearly states that the required information is available for the £10 fee. They MUST comply with the DPA letter!!! If they keep up this ridiculous demand, threaten to report them to the Information Commissioner!

If you're in Scotland though, you can only claim back 5 years. Give me a day or so, I'll get the letter scanned in & I can e-mail it to you?

Just send me a PM if you'd like a copy :-)

Hi Quixote,

Have you got a date yet from Dundee Sheriff court ?..Im due there on the 23rd October against TSB..Was due on same date to go against Halifax..But they settled in full.

I see your on a hill just outside Dundee, you dont happen to be standing in front Of an Orange Telecom mast and blocking My signal are you?....lol

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Lol....I just might be!!!

Have'nt heard back yet. They should've received the papers last Tuesday, so I'm on the edge of my seat!!!

Great news about your claim, hope mine goes the same way

Phoned the Court on Friday! Forms have'nt been processed yet so still waiting! Has anyone had any experience of claiming using the Summary Cause forms as opposed to Small Claims? Read on another thread that this procedure was intended for lawyers, but it's what the clerk at the court advised me to do as the claim is over £750. Slightly worried that this may incentivise the bank to lodge a defence

• 2 weeks later...

Used Summ cause, won first, waiting on settlement for no2. Not much difference in the 2 actions, sheriff Officer to serve summons and higher costs if you loose, but that ain't going to happen.

You havn't done anything wrong, Ordinary action requires a solicitor but not summ cause.

Hi Quixote,

Just wanted to say good luck with claims.

I'm going through small claims route in Dundee Sheriff court too with Barclays( i have thread in scottish section also). In process of first claim, have return date for 30/10/06 and hearing date for 06/11/06. Getting a bit nervous, keep putting off getting court bundle organised!!

Summary Cause did sound easier to get it all back at once, but i re-thought too and went small claims route.

I will check in to see how your getting on, fingers crossed, not that we'll need it!!

Vikki

Thanks Vikki :-)

Best of luck with your claim!!! Another friend of a friend has just received his first £750 from TSB, so it's looking as though things are on the up!!! Hope it works out for you & I'll keep posting progress reports as and when things develop

I don't think he actually went to court :-) They just rolled over & paid out when the summons was served on them!!! I'm pretty sure the banks now they're on a sticky wicket, & the recent upsurge in consumer awareness (and justifiable fury!!!) is going to eventually result in a test case. In the meantime however, I think they're of the view that the majority of their customers are'nt aware that a course of redress exists (or if they are, they view it as too much trouble)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a hearing date!!!

News came on Friday........Return date, 12th December, Hearing date 18th :)

Should I expect a letter from the bank before then, do you think? Starting to prepare my case already. NOT going to be caught out by any fly lawyer if it comes to appearing in court!!!!!

They've offered to settle!

£744 to drop the action (which is the capital amount I'm claiming for. No offer of expenses or interest though) Not sure what to do & could do with some reassurance. I've considered settling, but as I have a further claim (for around £350) I would'nt want to predjudice it. I'm of a mind to write back telling them I will settle all claims (without prejudice to future action) fo the full amount I intend to claim (£1096, plus 8% interest and expenses of £39) What would you guys/gals recommend I do?

In my case they initially offered a settlement of only the charges, which I then rejected. Subsequently they offered the interest as well (although in my case I added the interest to the claim, which I'm not sure you have done).

As for trying to bring the rest of the money into it, I personally would not do that. Stick to doing it one claim at a time. Just be patient and you will also get your other money.

You could always give them one last chance after this action has been settled and before you put your court papers in for the next one.

Oops!! Too late :-(

I replied to their letter stating that I would be prepared 'in principle' to settle prior to court action. I've asked them to settle the total sum of charges (£1094) and remove all default notices applied as a result of them, but offered (in good faith) to waive the interest & expenses. If this is'nt acceptable to them, it's off to court we go!!! I did state that the letter was written 'without prejudice', so that should ensure that it's a 'between me and them' matter at present. I'll let you all know what their response is...........

Phew!!! Thanks for that. I kinda thought that if I demonstrated that if I was willing to settle, the bank would see the light & just cough up. Hope I made it clear to them that I was perfectly prepared to follow it through though

• 4 weeks later...

Letter received 2nd December offering settlement of the capital sum! I returned the letter accepting the settlement. As part of the terms I dictated to them (see my post of Nov 14th), I should have received payment prior to today! I'm fizzing mad as they appear to be playing silly buggers yet again!

I'm seriously tempted to contact Neil McKirdy (customer relations) & tell them that settlement prior to court action is now not an option, and that I'll see them in court on the 18th!!!

Would somebody please tell me to take a deep breath? Or should I push back as hard as they seem to be doing?

Clydesdale have settled in full re my first claim of over £5000 and I am back in court v. Clydesdale this week with a final claim for £3000 for another account. Would be interested to know how ou get on today - 18th Dec ?

Does anyone know re the legislation which applies in Scotland for claiming charges on business accounts as opposed to personal accounts. Partnerships - not Ltd liability companies.

Does the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 apply or is it something else ??