• Tweets

• all DYL's are subject to a TRO. looking at this newish, ever increasing as old ind units have gotten removed, estate, there are only lines on one side, on the other there is a parking lane with traffic calming through which you mention. i seriously doubt your mate has any clue what he is talking about.!! its not a private housing assoc estate. so its a public council owned road. no construction co can just decide to draw their graffiti on a road. the DYLs are certainly there pre 2016 even before his home was built. now ive had a quick look to see if the main access to royal park road has signs. there is no royle park road even on your map but there is a royal barn road which leads to where you are parked royal road has a restriction sign on the pole by the fence of the electric substation jnc with gipsy lane there does not appear to be one leading in from the other end - tesco petrol station
    • Hi All. I was driving in Stevenage down a 40 road after coming off the motor way, i noticed my car felt a little "weird" i accelerated, then slowed the car down.  Shortly after i got stopped by a manned police car with a laser. During the stop the officer stated i was doing 54 in a 40, the conversation was short, but he said i would unlikely get a awareness course and it was most likely 3 points and a fine.  Mrs thought it was a good idea to have dairy when she is lactose intolerant on date night, we just got on our way.  At the time, i didnt admit to the offence, but did say i didnt realise and had slowed down in any case. The officers chest camera was recording and on. At the stop, he asked where to send the fine to, as i knew i would be travelling to visit family up north, i provided my temporary details at that location in Yorkshire. It is now 05/05 and i haven't received anything at either my home address in Stevenage or the temporary address. 1. Is there a time limit in which paperwork needs to be sent to me. 2. Should i query the ticket as i don't want to miss any deadlines (if so who do i check with?) OR should i keep quiet. 3. Given nothing has arrived in 20 days, is there a chance of appeal if and when it comes through? Many thanks CrazeUK
    • Hi All. A family friends car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the begining of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, howver he said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online (i have a copy of this).  She didnt mention she hadnt recieved any confirmation as she didnt know if she would get one.  She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. She then was travelling up north so didnt get her ,ail until last week. She recievd a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehcile and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she respons by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i got her to dig  out the V5 and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped and is still on his forecourt. Is this possible to appeal?
    • worthy to not forget Just to let you know this bunch Kensington have been fined £1.225m by the financial regulator for treating borrowers who were in arrears unfairly. Claim those charges back plus the interest and tell them not to add any more to the account. There are a few news stories here you can get the info for a letter to send to them. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8615870.stm  
    • Hi All. I went to visit a family friend in Rochdale on a new housing estate opposite a old row of houses. The location is Royle Road, Postcode OL11 3PE. I was originally parked in parking bays outside the old houses, then moved the car, when I noticed my tyre was flat, so parked on what looked like double yellows to use his air pump to check and inflate the tyres before we left the house.   In the time i went inside to sort the pump and power supply i got a PCN.  The tyre then got changed (has a puncture) and we left. PCN Number:         RE######## Date:             04/05/2024 Time:             20:36 Observation:         20:34 to 20:36 Reported location:     Royle Park Road Reason:        Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours (Code: 01) I believe this PCN is not correct and has grounds to appeal: 1. My friend who moved into the property around 6 months ago, swears that even though it has old double yellows marked, they are not current or council marked.   He said the property development company had said they had marked them for ease of access during development. 2. The road i was parked on was Royle Road.  The PCN was issued for Royle Park Road, which is about 400 yards up the road. 3. There are no sign posts or marking showing parking  restriction hours in the entire area (there maybe on Royle park Road). I have attached a map of the Location where i parked as a red dot. I have 2 questions: a.  Is there a way to check where double yellow lines are marked on some register to check if they are current? b. Can my grounds of appeal simply be, wrong location, wrong offence? Thanks in advance. Map_20240505.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot and Citi Card debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is this the same for a debto collection company who took on a bank loan debt??

I had a loan which subsequently was passed to debt collectors who added on a ridiculous amount in 'charges'. Trouble is I do not know how much the charges were as I have spent the last 4 years paying it off and will still be paying it off for another year or so.

I am thinking about finding out how much I have been charged, although I have a feeling if they put it down to their 'service' charge we cannot relaim it. Do you know if this is correct?

Don't forget that under the OFT rules the original creditor is still liable for the conduct of any subsequent DCA's. They are subject to the same sanctions as if they where the offender

Also the OFT frowns on the engagment of mulitpul DCA's

Seminole - you should be out in the sun!

What Cabot actually sent was as follows:

A letter confirming: the a\c was purchased from Citifinancial and the date. My personal details and a list of items.

It states " As part of the SAR we are required to supply the following information all of which has been enclosed.

a) Copies of all correspondence filed

b) Copies of any system letters that have been generated and sent to you ( me )

c) Copies of all comments noted on on our computer system

d) Details of payments received and the interest applied

e) Details of your personal details as held within our computer system

The data held on our computer system in relation to your account has been used only for the purpose of collections and reporting to the credit reference beaureux Experien, Equifax and Call Credit. Your address was sent to UK Changes for telematching service.

We have also enclosed a list of Cabot Financial Europe Ltd's approved abbreviations and explanatory notes but should there be terms for which you require further clarification please contact us. Ys...

In a) there is only a copy of my LBA

In b) Headed Specific and Unspecific Generic System Letters - this is just a copy of a computerised letter with all its' merge brackets addressed to no-one and with nothing pertaining to my case whatsoever, ie: it's not a copy of a letter sent. But each one, and there's quite a few someone has written " This is a representation of the original sent 1/8/04 " and a reference attached to each one.

In c) there is a printout showing all the apparent times they have contacted me and their comments on same and also a running calculation prompt which I assume is the system updating aging and interest. Periodically it states " Apply penalty interest"

In d) is a breakdown of the account dated by posting. the Tran Ref as they call it on that schedule periodically produces an insert called PENIN ( Penalty Interest) but there is no reference to Interest rate applied.

The sheet of approved abbreviations is far from complete or comprehensive.

I recieved no copy of the original credit agreement nor have I in the past.

They did send me a letter stating that they purchased the debt originally.

I will serve a DPA on Citifinancial. It was remiss of me because I have been reading the site for so long I should have known better but some say the collection agency should have ALL details as they now own the debt and others say claim back from the bank and pay off the collection agency with the return. It's the bank who have hit the charges and Cabot who have added interest, but it's difficult to see from these statements if they have added any charges other than interest.

As you are already paying them, getting the original agreement won't help very much.

You should do a Data Protection Act enquiry (using the template in the Library) and make it very clear in the letter that you require a full statement of the account for the past 6 years. Explicitly state that this includes the account history preior to the sale of the debt to Cabot.

I have a debt of £900 which Cabot are/were chasing. They added their interest charges taking it over £1000. The debt was with Citifinancial and was made up of alot of charges. I have the DPA documents back from Cabot which have excluded the original contract and any Citifinancial statements or information. I have sent a dpa to Citifinancial.

Are Cabot responsible for the charges Citi made or what? There are conflicting suggestions as to who should be asked. I haven't paid off much from Cabot since they bought it but I did pay some and I know I can reclaim the interest they charged, however, other suggestions say CitiFinancial have to pay the charges back and I have to do a deal with Cabot? Any thoughts?

I posted a copy of the letter received from cabot on the Cabot threadhttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8074&highlight=cabot

Thanks. Yes just like the rest of the parasites another bunch of tossers.

There's nothing parasitical about enforcing the legal right of creditors.

Gawd how anyone can work for one of these firms & sleep at night defeats me.

Successful debt collectors don't bully. They have a duty to inform people of the range of remedies which may be being considered but the best way to deal with people is as adults. I'm a debt collector, I'm very good and get paid very well. I seldom have an argument with anyone. All I do is explain the benefits of paying and give them some idea of their options.

For me the best option is Payment in Full, dealing with them has no value to me if they don't. But I still give them all the options and let them decide what the benefits are worth to them.

At the end of the day, if a debtor wants to offer their creditors token monthly payments they are not helping *themselves* they are far better in the long run going bankrupt or applying for an IVA in the hope their creditors accept this. This at least gives them the chance of restoring their credit rating in 7, 9 or 12 years time which may not be the case in most payment arrangements.

I help people in my job. If someone considers their position and their options and makes rational decisions they will be better off after dealing with me, at the very least in the long run.

By the by I don't know if anyone is aware but DCA's are not supposed to hide their numbers or use 0870 numbers which are considered premuim rate. Nor are they supposed to make anonymous calls. You know the sort of thing they get their computer to call then say now't when it goes to A/Phone. Caused a few divorces that has. To do any of these things is in breach of the OFT guidelines & may render them unfit to hold a licence. So the more complaints to the OFT the better. Even single breaches should be reported

Calls placed through a switch (i.e. the majority of companies, certainly any with more than 10 people) don't *HAVE* an associated number. The company can place a presentation number on their switch so a number is given (which Oftel regulate must be a live number which is attended and *now* but not when the guidelines were first implemented must not be a non-geographic number unless it is 080 or 084). However there is *no* compulsion to do so. Numbers are not "withheld" this is simply BT being lazy with their automated messages, the numbers merely do not exist to start with.

Regards,

Eduin

I Googled "Robinson Way harassment" & found this if it's any use:

http://www.touchnottingham.com/business/list/bid/2755015

Oh, while I was browsing, I came across a rather naughty post from a person who Googles the return address on all his mail & "returns to sender" those he knows are from DCAs! ;)

By the way I missed this, lost track of this thread a little bit, great stuff though.

I've bookmarked the links (along with a hundred others on fighting banks, parking fines, you-name-it) , I will have a read if I ever find the time.

Interesting letter from Cabot today who have replied telling me that they have asked Barclaycard for a copy of the original agreement (I can't even remember asking them for one, I still have my copy) and state that "Although we anticipate a reply within the next 21 days, it can take up to 8 weeks.....".

Briefly as possible the story is that my cheque to pay my visa card bill was sent to Barclaycard but got lost in the post. I was completely unaware of this and I went 32p over my credit limit as a result of my payment not being credited to the account and interest added. Barclaycard charged me £20 late payment fee and £20 over-limit fee. I argued that their T&Cs when I signed up said there were no charges for going overlimit and no charges for late payments if you paid the £15 annual charge, which I had.

Barclaycard said that they had since changed the T&C's and dropped the annual fee but had replaced them with late payment charges and overlimit charges. I argued that they were in breach of contract because that's not what it said on the contract I had signed. i also argued that if they could change the contract at will then it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

They claimed to have notified all their customers of the change by post but I had not received any notification. I also pointed out that it was their legal responsibility to ensure that I was notified in advance of any changes to the T&C's. If it had got lost in the post then that was not my fault and they should claim off the Royal Mail, not penalise me.

I refused to pay anything, we reached a stalemate and after six months of letters going back and forth they said that they would not write to be again as we had "reached an impasse". Then they passed it on to the DCA's, it's been through about four different ones I think, I told each and every one that any attempt to take it to court would be met with a counterclaim for breach of contract and harrassment.

I heard nothing for about a year or so until Cabot came along. Looks like it's game on again. Only this time I have the relevant laws and information to take them on with. :)

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

You SOUND like a debt collector, Eduin.

People in debt are in my experience ordinary people that are genuinly struggling to pay their bills, and just a knock on the door from a debt collector - a person who the vast majority of people think are some sort of bailiff - can be a terrifying experience. Much of the bullying and harrassment is done by the DCA's long before you knock on somebody's door. I have even had a letter a couple of years ago from a DCA stating that they, and I quote, "would recommend my committal to prison" if I didn't pay up. I SOOOO hope I've still got the letter somewhere!

"Payment in Full" I am in no doubt is a wonderful result for you, but these people are led to believe that it is better to skip their council tax, car insurance, utility bill and so on that month to pay you and XYZ Loan Company off instead.

QUOTE: At the end of the day, if a debtor wants to offer their creditors token monthly payments they are not helping *themselves* they are far better in the long run going bankrupt or applying for an IVA in the hope their creditors accept this. This at least gives them the chance of restoring their credit rating in 7, 9 or 12 years time

What you don't seem to appreciate is that many people are so stretched that they can do nothing else but offer token payments if they do the sensible thing and pay the major bills first. Many of us are paying scandalous interest rates then are being bullied by phone and letter, never mind a collector knocking on the door, because we can't meet the repayments. Paying token payments is FAR better than having an IVF or bankrupcy tag on your record.

Sorry but convincing people that paying you as much as they can is wrong. The imporatant stuff is paying Inland Revenue, mortgage, council tax, car insurance, car tax, food, utility bills and so on. The banks, finance companies and all the companies that the DCA's represent come an awful long way down the food chain. Stuff the credit rating, mine has been pants for years, so what?

If anything, most of these DCA's owe most of the people they have harrassed compensation for that harrassment, which is illegal after all.

You have no authority whatsoever and are in no position and totally incorrect to advise people that it's favourable to pay you as much as they can rather than pay off more important bills. It might help you to earn a generous salary but it does nothing for those who are struggling to pay their debts. You would be invited to leave my property or be arrested for trespassing.

I’m in a reverse situation, Debt Managers Ltd owe ME money. Only £18 but I’m going to chase it up rigorously.

I got fed up with them phoning & writing for the previous owner of our house (& not believing me when I say I’m not her) & so sent a letter in the same “large bold print & plenty of red style” they do. It reads:

--------------------------------------------------

Your ref: 28190653

NOTICE OF APPLICATION FOR INJUNCTION

NOTICE OF BREACH OF SECTION 1 OF THE HARASSMENT ACT 1988

NOTICE OF A COMPLAINT TO TRADING STANDARDS

I am officially informing you that myself, husband & young children are the only residents at this address & that any correspondence, telephone calls or callers from your company will cause me significant alarm, harassment & distress & I would have no option than to seek an injunction against you under section 1 of the Harassment Act 1998. I would also invite press publicity of such harassment and report you to trading standards.

ACT UPON IT!

STOP BREAKING THE LAW!

FINAL WARNING!

Please find below a bill for my time & expenses in dealing with this issue. Cheques are to be made payable to Trundlecat. You have until Tue 20 June to settle this debt. If reimbursement is not received by the aforementioned date you will receive 1 more letter from me requesting payment & giving you 7 days to reconsider. If, after my reasonable attempts for you to settle this bill payment still has not been received I will have no option than to file a claim in the small claims court to recoup my losses plus costs, plus interest at 8% per day.

Stationary (paper envelope, printer ink): £1

Postage (recorded delivery, shoe leather): £2

My time (billed at my normal contract rate of £30 per hour): £15

TOTAL: £18

Yours,

----------------------------------

When they phone my house they have to use a geographical number as we don’t accept anonymous calls so I have a note of the number & I am going to chase them every single day, as often as I have time to. These companies are vultures.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

People in debt are in my experience ordinary people that are genuinly struggling to pay their bills, and just a knock on the door from a debt collector - a person who the vast majority of people think are some sort of bailiff - can be a terrifying experience. Much of the bullying and harrassment is done by the DCA's long before you knock on somebody's door.

I don't knock on anyone's door.

I have even had a letter a couple of years ago from a DCA stating that they, and I quote, "would recommend my committal to prison" if I didn't pay up. I SOOOO hope I've still got the letter somewhere!

So do I. Illegal practises harm the industry.

"Payment in Full" I am in no doubt is a wonderful result for you, but these people are led to believe that it is better to skip their council tax, car insurance, utility bill and so on that month to pay you and XYZ Loan Company off instead.

I don't think you read what I wrote. I outline people all the options, I also try to get them to look at their whole situation, every debt to every one. Not everyone is in a position to sort out their debts, in those cases they need to consider the legal measures that are in place to protect *them*.

What you don't seem to appreciate is that many people are so stretched that they can do nothing else but offer token payments if they do the sensible thing and pay the major bills first. Many of us are paying scandalous interest rates then are being bullied by phone and letter, never mind a collector knocking on the door, because we can't meet the repayments. Paying token payments is FAR better than having an IVF or bankrupcy tag on your record.

Having a Default, possibly backed up by a CCJ forever while paying £5 a month is a lot worse than doing the necessary and facing up to your debts knowing that in ten years time you are "free and clear". If people are still paying interest by the time their debt ends up with a DCA, again they are merely facing the consequences of their own lack of action to face their problems.

Sorry but convincing people that paying you as much as they can is wrong. The imporatant stuff is paying Inland Revenue, mortgage, council tax, car insurance, car tax, food, utility bills and so on. The banks, finance companies and all the companies that the DCA's represent come an awful long way down the food chain. Stuff the credit rating, mine has been pants for years, so what?

You don't like hte price, that's your choice. I'd say more people are interested in restoring their credit rating than are happy living without one. But as I said, they get the options and choose whether they like the price, they get a sales pitch and make a decision.

You have no authority whatsoever and are in no position and totally incorrect to advise people that it's favourable to pay you as much as they can rather than pay off more important bills.

Again, you appear to be misinterpretting what I wrote. The majority of work done by a debt collector is getting people to face up to their responsibilities. In some cases its genuine financial hardship, in many more its irresponsible behaviour and spending patterns. With a reputable lender (all I work for) anyone who has faced up to their debts is unlikely to reach a DCA (some do, I accept, sometimes through genuine errors). Mostly its people who bury their head in the sand.

When that happens they need to decide what to do, best case scenario, they get family help or can sell off the profits of their frivilous spending, if this isn't an option they should consider refinancing themselves, deciding for themselves if they have made the necessary life changes to live within their income, from their point of view this will clean up their credit rating more quickly and remove the possibility of action faster than paying the debt in large monthly chunks. If they can't do this they should seriously explore an IVA or Bankruptcy this is almost always in their own best interest compared to paying tokens forever.

But I'm not here to sell you the morals of DCA, the beauty of the industry (from my point of view) is that it is purely a numbers game. You make enough calls you find enough people who are either temporarily cash flow stuck, getting family help or refinancing and sorting themselves out. Anyone who just doesn't want to deal can be ignored happily, without it affecting me in any way.

Regards,

Eduin

Anyone think Eduin is a spy? Lets try to keep this thread as a help to people with DCA difficulties and not a poster for DCA morals please Eduin.

What would constitute a spy? I came here to find out how to get my bank charges back. I have knowledge in an area mentioned and post. DCAs aren't parasites (Debt Managers with charges are). Without the collections industry, banks would find their profits squeezed in lending, this would likely result in higher interest charges (due to more risk) for everyone.

Regards,

Eduin

Hallo Eduin, Your posts are most welcomed and your knowledge invaluable and I am pleased to hear you came here to get your bank charges back. I too work in the credit industry, the peripherals I admit, but I know enough about the industry. DCA's are a mixed bag, there are the conciencious hard working type who are on a mission each day, commission driven, morally bereft, and legally inept. I have been on both sides of the coin I mixed with the industry on the inside and I suffered at their hands when things turned sour - it was a hell I wouldn't want to repeat because believe me, if you haven't been exposed to them in your own circles then visit some of the companies out there mentioned here and individuals on this site who have been torn apart by sharp speaking collection agents. I was told by someone at Wescot that if I didn't pay a particular credit card debt that day in full ( Saturday) he would have the bailiff at my door on Monday - this was after some very heated telephone conversations. You will know the errors of his way and I had him temporarily removed from office - what would the little old lady up the road have done? That was just one of the many incidents I experienced personnaly and I could go on all day. There are also by contrast the more professional individuals who expose the rigiours of professionalism you so describe but they are a minority.

To assume that most might be spendthrifts and irresponsible would not be living in reality and will rightly generate a torrent of abuse from forum subscribers. It is an industry attitude which believes irresponsibility causes debt - alot of truth in that maybe but the parasites move in on the fallen saldy many and DCA's are, apart from providing a service, amongst that catagory.

I don't mean this thread to be personal it's just that if you are a DCA you are tipping your toe into deep water if you think people won't pounce on you after all the writings herein! Hope you get your charges back anyway and keep inputting it always helps someone.

I think Eduin's posts have been excellent. The fact that he's been totally upfront about being a debt collector pretty much rules out the possibility of him being a 'spy'. Anyone who can give a comprehensive insight into the workings of these types of organisations is more than welcome here, in my opinion.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Thank you Robertxc I agree, the spy bitwas a bit tongue in cheek - no offence meant to anyone. Everyone has something to input and as you say Eduin has input some good posts indeed.

Thank you Robertxc I agree, the spy bitwas a bit tongue in cheek - no offence meant to anyone. Everyone has something to input and as you say Eduin has input some good posts indeed.

I hope some information can be had, for sure there are probably some things I could disclose that I probably won't. But by the same token there are some things I proabably shouldn't say but will.

The DCA industry has made tremendous steps in the last decade to improve the way they work. For sure it is still got a lot of bully boy tactics from collectors but this is changing, sales oriented collecting is always (in my experience) more successful and with call recording and improved adherence to the law, I think the industry today is far better. I wouldn't have worked for a DCA ten years ago, today I will happily take the coin.

It's when we get described as "parasites" and such like that I get galled. The industry serves a valuable role in the economy, DCAs collect more efficiently than the source lenders, this means that risk can be lessened and everyone *should* benefit from slightly lower rates for borrowing.

The real parasites in this area are the Debt Management Companies (which charge a fee) and the Fee Based Loan Search companies. I can happily say I've stopped dozens of people sending their £40 to these "you are pre-approved" **** and signing up for fee based Debt Managers.

Regards,

Eduin

There's nothing parasitical about enforcing the legal right of creditors.

Successful debt collectors don't bully. They have a duty to inform people of the range of remedies which may be being considered but the best way to deal with people is as adults. I'm a debt collector, I'm very good and get paid very well. I seldom have an argument with anyone. All I do is explain the benefits of paying and give them some idea of their options.

For me the best option is Payment in Full, dealing with them has no value to me if they don't. But I still give them all the options and let them decide what the benefits are worth to them.

At the end of the day, if a debtor wants to offer their creditors token monthly payments they are not helping *themselves* they are far better in the long run going bankrupt or applying for an IVA in the hope their creditors accept this. This at least gives them the chance of restoring their credit rating in 7, 9 or 12 years time which may not be the case in most payment arrangements.

I help people in my job. If someone considers their position and their options and makes rational decisions they will be better off after dealing with me, at the very least in the long run.

Calls placed through a switch (i.e. the majority of companies, certainly any with more than 10 people) don't *HAVE* an associated number. The company can place a presentation number on their switch so a number is given (which Oftel regulate must be a live number which is attended and *now* but not when the guidelines were first implemented must not be a non-geographic number unless it is 080 or 084). However there is *no* compulsion to do so. Numbers are not "withheld" this is simply BT being lazy with their automated messages, the numbers merely do not exist to start with.

Regards,

Eduin

Eduin, with respect, you are missing (or evading) the original point about 0870 numbers.

If you request it, I can send the text of a postcard I received this week from NCA DCA asking me to place an urgent phonecall to an 0870 number (sent after I wrote to them pointing out that the debt in question was in dispute & therefore not open to discussion). That contravenes at least two regulations.

Eduin, with respect, you are missing (or evading) the original point about 0870 numbers.

The original point wasn't clear to me.

If you request it, I can send the text of a postcard I received this week from NCA DCA asking me to place an urgent phonecall to an 0870 number (sent after I wrote to them pointing out that the debt in question was in dispute & therefore not open to discussion). That contravenes at least two regulations.

Until Oftel get their act together over the 087 range (which is *meant* to mean up to national call rate) they aren't contravening any regulation. I have read posts here about these numbers and understand why people dislike them. I also know that the system has been abused for at least 10 years and this is hardly news.

BTW for a DCA, most of which are relatively small, their share (if they even get one) is not going to be huge. Its the big organisations like banks and insurers who use them that really clean up.

Just as an additional, the 087 range has enough public recognition that only a particularly stupid DCA would use it (in my opinion). I believe there would be enough disincentive to actually make the call that its not worth using. Contact with debtors is gold in the industry and anything that decreases that chance is simply dumb.

As for the dispute, you're right, its not on. But part of the problem lies with the client originating the debt. FYI, DCAs have very little power over their clients its a competitive industry, clients hold all the cards. I wouldn't put it past banks to ignore disputes and simply pass debts out.

Regards,

Eduin

I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to address the individual points raised, but overall my opinion of DCA's has not changed. The MAJORITY, in my experience, of DCA's use tactics that basically frighten most people. I cannot name a single one that I have dealt with over the years that has acted in a manner that was impartial and designed to *help* the debtor.

I could list the tactics used here that I have come across over the years and I could tell you a hundred different stories about dodgy tactics. Only last week I got a postcard asking me to ring an 0870 number which carried a simple message along the lines of, "Hi, I'm Mark! Please ring 0870 xxx blah blah as I have the important information you are looking for". A BLATANT tactic to get people to call back; this then confirms that they are still at the address. We're not stupid.

On the other hand I can not recall ever dealing with a DCA which has operated honestly and decently. DCA's are a business at the end of the day - they want their money, or their commission. DCA's will often buy a debt for a fraction of it's "value" then try to make 80% profit by making the debtor pay in full.

As for blaming people for irresponsible spending, that's a whole new topic. When are the industry going to take some of the blame? People are offered loans and credit cards left right and centre often with ridiculous interest rates but with enticing advertising such as "6 months 0% interest on balance transfers". you will never see an ad proclaiming "Hey join us! Only 29% APR". people fall for the glossy advertising but that;s the fault of the company offering the credit card, whether it is a bank or Marks and Spencers. They want your money, end of. And that's all the DCA's are interested in too.

The DCA industry has made tremendous steps in the last decade to improve the way they work. For sure it is still got a lot of bully boy tactics from collectors but this is changing, sales oriented collecting is always (in my experience) more successful and with call recording and improved adherence to the law, I think the industry today is far better. I wouldn't have worked for a DCA ten years ago, today I will happily take the coin.

So, Eduin, can we be confident that the DCA you work for will not feature in any of these forums?? Can we? Can we?

Onwards and upwards

Elsinore

FYI, DCAs have very little power over their clients its a competitive industry, clients hold all the cards. I wouldn't put it past banks to ignore disputes and simply pass debts out.

Regards,

Eduin

Thank you for your response. The original point was that 0870 numbers were illegal (the point was made in another post & I was not aware of this).

Your last statement (see quote) would, no doubt, come as a huge surprise to the thousands of debtors across the UK who live in fear of a knock on their door or yet ANOTHER unwanted phonecall.

The DCAs may have limited powers but they have huge influence through their bukkying tactics.

Incidentally 087 numbers cost virtually nothing to set up or maintain for any company that want's one, I'm an individual and I got an 0871 number which costs 10p a minute to call and I get 3p a minute revenue. It cost me £9.99, there are no further ongoing costs. A business taking in thousands of calls would get theirs free and get up to 5p a minute for incoming calls.

I got mine not for profit but because every time I fill in a form it asks for my phone number. Most of these companies use 0870 numbers at least, so it was a case of getting my owm back. Profit was nothing to do with it, I think it has earned me about £4 in a year.

The law says that call rates must be stated for these numbers in any correspondence.

0845 is local rate, 0870 is National rate, and 0871 is usualy 10p a minute. All these numbers pay the users "cashback".

But companies exploit this. Want to phone your local Comet store? You have to phone a National rate 0870 number to get through to the switchboard to be transferred to your local branch. I was on hold for 14 minutes, at my expense, and forget "Greensleeeves", this time was used by Comet to promote their latest deals. At my expense.

I will post the numbers of the DCA's I have dealt with recently, I promise you most of them begin with 087x.

The bailiffs who collect Blackpool Council's council tax arrears and unpaid parking fines have a £1.50 a minute fax number. They do not tell you on any of their literature though that if you send them a fax it will cost you £1.50.

Furthermore if you phone these numbers from your mobile it might cost you 40p a minute, especially if you are on pay-as-you-go and if you are on contract you will probably find that the calls are chargeable too and not included in your "inclusive" minutes.

Make your own mind up folks.

Both TBI and Moorcroft appear on the forum quite often, suggest you do a forum search on each.

I am involved with TBI at the moment, and they are VERY persistent. Although, if you have a good look at this thread - and do a forum search under "harassment" you will probably find what you are looking for.

Does anyone know anything about the following debt collection agencies, they are hounding my kids over mobile phone bills.

TBI

Moorcroft

Moorcroft, LOL, chuck it in the bin and have a laugh. Not a problem at all.

Could anyone help?

Where do i find information in relation to the consumer credit act where you can apply for a copy of the original agreement?

I have searched the net but been unable to locate anything. Just looking for information on how the process works and what to say and do.

Also, can you do this to settled accounts? I finished paying off my loans/credit card in 2003/2004 via a DCA - as its settled, will they still provide a copy of the agreement to me and can I act on it should it not be located?

Sorry if I am being a bit stupid here ( :D:D ) but I have read and re-read this thread and am still confused!

I understand sending off the CCA letter and if they haven't replied within 12 days bit, and after a month they have commited an offence, but when does the debt actually become unenforceable? Is it at the month stage?

I learn something new on this site every single day and I wish I'd have known all these things years ago when I had DCA's harrasing me and causing real problems in my life.

Thank you.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks