• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Writ of Execution The Sheriffs Office

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to the fact that I heard nothing about a CCJ in 2009 I had hoped it had dropped off the radar whilst I got my life back on track after business failure/divorce etc.

Today I returned home to have a Writ from The Sheriffs Office (the name sounds hugely official doesnt it) in the sum of £3,240.89 My debt being originally £2,235.51 the balance being costs some massive.

The Bailiff PA (abbreviated) on behalf of PNW an appointed High Court Enforcement Officer (who is not on the Bailiff's register) nor is PA who served this Writ. I checked under The Sheriffs Office. What does this mean?

The official levied against my car, a friend's car, my dining table and 6 chairs which he could see through a window plus all other goods required to satisfy the writ (his words).

I think that the paperwork is incomplete. I had no notice of this writ being issued - not sure whether I should have or not.

When I phoned and asked the officer if The Sheriff's Office was a government department he said it as company. He said I should sign the Walking Possession Agreement and return it immediately.

In a nutshell - he wanted me to pay £1300 up front and then he would put a proposal to the creditor.

Please could you help me with your own experiences and advice?

I think I need to do a N244 to get a stay of execution but could anyone please give advice as to what else I need to do to support this?

Help

Jayne

Edited by Sienna123
too much information

Hi welcome to CAG, it would be better to edit your post to remove names, and I'm sure someone will be along to help soon

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

http://www.thesheriffsoffice.com/

Neither the named HCEO or his Enforcement Officer need to appear on the Bailiff Register as it is not a requirement. Having known about the Judgment means you may not apply for Set Aside. You could however apply for a Variation Order and also a Stay of Execution against the HCEO. Neither your Creditor nor the Enforcement Officer have to give you prior notice of what is happening.

The goods you say he levied against did he leave you the Notice of Seizure? If so did you sign it?

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The official levied against my car, a friend's car, my dining table and 6 chairs which he could see through a window plus all other goods required to satisfy the writ (his words)."

For starters, looks like an invalid levy anyway. He can't levy on goods in that way - he has to be able to physically touch them.

They always shoot themselves in the foot!

Good luck!

Impecunious! :-)

Here on the forum it is not a good idea to give names of individual bailiffs etc. However, there is a list of High Court Enforcement Officers and the initials to which you refer (PNW) refer to the surname of Watts and I can assure you that he is indeed a registered HCEO. All writs to the Sheriff's Office will bear his name on them.

You say that a levy has been made on your car and a friends car. Your friend should send en email to the Sheriffs Office to advise them that the car is not yours. This is referred to as a Third Party Claim. The notification can take the form of a simple email. The HCEO should have "good reason to believe that the car is yours". He would argue that the car was parked on your driveway etc.

Is your car on finance etc?. If not, is it worth very much?

Would the levy fail as "global" with the annotation " and all other hoods to satisfy the debt"?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

The precise wording on the Writ of Fi Fa says as follows:

YOU ARE NOW COMMANDED to seize in execution the goods, chattels and other property of the Defendant authorised by law and raise therefrom the sums detailed in the Schedule, together with fees and charges to which you are entitled and immediately after execution, to pay the Claimant the said sum and interest.....

By rights, they should have have said "authorised by law" as there are many items that are deemed as exempt. Whether this would make the writ unenforceable....not sure.

If the debtor does not have a car and refuses to allow peaceful entry, then I would certainly argue the matter of the wording but where a car has been levied, I would act with caution.

I have recently had dealings with the Sherriffs Office and managed to acheive a good outcome, the following might be a bit long winded but stick with it it saved me over £1000.00.

First email there office quoting your case number and ask for a breakdown of the fees they asking for,you will almost certainly receive an attachment which will have on it

Fees charged under the High Court Officers Regulations 2004,Schedule 3, Regulation 13 and in accordance with the Senior Courts Costs Office Guidance to Chargeable Hourly Fee Rates 2010 for the area listed as 'London 3'

There will then follow a list of fees with reference numbers at the side 1 Percentage Fee 6(2b) Inventory Fee and the goody 12 this refers to para 12 in Schedule 3, Regulation 13. it refers to Miscellaneous fees and reads ' For any matter not otherwise provided for,such sum as a Master,district judgeor costs judge may allow upon application

If this is what you receive email back immediately and ask for a copy of the apllication and a copy of the order that fees are based on, they will not have them as they never apply, also ask for a detailed break down of how these fees are made up. Finally if your creditor is a reputable company contact them direct,although they know the fees being asked for are very high they do not realise that a lot are very probably unlawful and they in effect are employing them thay are at the least condoning there conduct.

My creditor was very helpfull when this was pointed out to them and accepted payment direct to them