• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Re-claiming Licence after DD ban

ms2608
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

9 months after passing his test, my son (stupidly) received a 24 month ban for DD. At that time he had not sent the paperwork off for his full licence, as he was still within the 12 month timescale for submitting your provisional licence and Test pass certificate. Hence he surrendered his Provisional Licence and Pass Certificate at the time of the ban.

When the ban expired, he was abroad for long periods, and did not have access to a car when over here, so did not apply to get his licence re-instated immediately. He had attended the re-hab course, and been told that there was no time limit as to when you can apply to get your licence back when the DD ban expires.

A couple of years later, he applied to have his licence re-instated - as a Full licence, as he had passed his test. Sent off the form and fee of £100, waited several months and heard nothing from the DVLA, and it took several e-mails before they said we would here from them shortly. The next thing that happened was that a provisional licence arrived in the post. The DVLA stated that they could not issue a Full Licence because the 12 month period allowed for application following passing the driving test had expired!

Surely the clock stopped ticking at 8 months, when my son surrendered the paperwork to the DVLA at the point of the ban? How could he apply for his full licence when they were holding the paperwork, and, also he had been told that it is up to you when you re-apply to get your licence back when a ban comes to an end. I assume that the DVLA did not really know how to deal with this one, as they took so long to get back to us.

Any advice gratefully received!

After a drink driving ban quite rightly you should retake your tests.

He will need to retake, theory, practical aswell as the £100 for a new licence which is provisional.

I believe this is due to the 6points in first 2 years of driving. If he wasn't in first two years he may not have to resit test depending on points already on licence etc.

I'm sure you'll have heard it a million times but quite deservedly he should have to retake everything with the embarassment of being driving whilst drunk. Been to many a RTC which has changed lives due to alcohol :(

supermancss will be correct provided we are talking about all this occurring after 1997 when the New Driver's Act came into force. You comment on this happening over at least a couple of years, but presumably not as far back as 1997?

If so, it's not anything to do with not having sent his test certificate off or not reapplying inmmediately his ban was up. Under the New Driver's Act, if you receive 6 points in your first 2 years, your licence is automatically revoked, you reapply for a provisional licence and have to take the theory and practical test again. I would guess that a DD offence came with 10 penalty points on his licence as well as the ban.

Thanks for the replies.

I have checked, and the ban was imposed in January 1997 - which I think was before the New Drivers' Act came into force.

The reason cited by the DVLA was the fact that the period of 12 months to submit the Pass certificate and Provisional Licence to apply for a full licence had expired. I'm not sure this is watertight as they were in possession of the paperwork from the 8th month onwards. Hence my query.

Supermancs - please be assured that we are both eternally grateful that this lesson has been learned without anybody coming to harm by his stupid action.

humm that's more interesting then. Some of the act came into force in March 1997 and the remainder in June 1997, so it should not be applied in your son's case.

It does just seem to come back to the fact he hadn't swapped his certificate for a full licence. That doesn't tend to happen now as in 99% of test passes the examiner will keep your provisional and arrange for your full licence to be issued.

Not sure who/where you progress this to as the DVLA tend to be a law unto themselves and are never wrong!

Apologies - I should not post things late in the evening - I was obviously stuck in a time warp - my son passed his test in 2007 (not 1997!) Thanks to supermancss for mentioning the 15 year time gap - which flagged up my error!

After a bit of research I have found out that:-

If a new driver is convicted of: DD - this is an offence where disqualification is obligatory. They will NOT have their drivers licence revoked under the new drivers act because of the disqualification imposed upon conviction of these offences. The new drivers act only applies IF the new driver accumulates 6 penalty points or more on their driving licence within the 2 year probationary period.

So it is definitely the question of could he be out of the time limit for submitting his paperwork for the full licence, if the paperwork was in the hands of the DVLA?

Having sourced the actual paperwork - for which I apologise not doing in the first place, as I am obviously past being able to rely on my memory :-

Test passed - April 2005

Ban - January 2006

Applied to have licence returned (fee £100) around May 2010.

Reason for the time gap was as he is abroad quite frequently, and did not have regular access to a car when in this country, so it seemed pointless paying out the £100 before the licence was required.

No longer relevant to his case, but I am curious why he kept his provisional and test certificate to be sent off later. I thought by then the test centres had brought in the practice of sending of a candicate's provisional to be automatically upgraded on their behalf. It is not compulsory, but very few people would refuse this service as it is free and efficient.:)

No longer relevant to his case, but I am curious why he kept his provisional and test certificate to be sent off later. I thought by then the test centres had brought in the practice of sending of a candicate's provisional to be automatically upgraded on their behalf. It is not compulsory, but very few people would refuse this service as it is free and efficient.:)

+1 somthing doesnt add up

He will have to retake all tests with extended practical.

The extended practical isn't mandatory even for a DD disqualification, but is stipulated, if necessary, by the magistrate as part of the sentence.