• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Beales Vs lloyds TSB **WON**

pbeales1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The interest and court costs are both excluded from the total when calculating which track your claim should be allocated to - so you're fine with the small claims court.

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi reload, i forgot to send in p.o.c and my claim amount has changed.

Do you think that it is advicable to send a copy of all my bank statements too, to sc&m and the local court?

Many thanks Phil.B

Erm... I'm a bit confused when you say you forgot to send in your P.O.C...?

It may be advisable to include a copy of your statements with the charges you're claiming for underlined/highlighted, both to the solicitors and the courts, along with your N244 amendment.

Just reading back through the thread though... I notice you've not posted your particulars of claim anywhere, or your amended version for that matter. Is there any chance you can do post your amended version here, just so I can give it a quick once over just to make sure you aren't amending an invalid/too vague version with a similar one?

The particulars of claim is a section on the N1 claim form - the first form you file with the courts/equivalent with Moneyclaim online. If you filed online, it should be a block of text as listed in the bank templates library.

I don't believe there is a template letter for an amendment apology. However, a brief note along the lines of:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Claim No xx/xxxxxxx

Herewith I enclose an amendment to my claim, on the court's N244 claim form as intended for this purpose. Please accept my apologies for the error, and I trust this amendment is in order.

Yours faithfully,

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Phoned court today, and they say that they are still processing Septembers Claims.There will be nothing for me until the next two weeks.

They must be very busy down there.

I will sit tight and wait for my court date to drop through the door.

Phil.B

That's the way it goes unfortunately Phil. Stick with it, there's light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train for a change :)

Yes Thanks Reload for all your help so far.

I have lloyds Aq now- got a couple of days ago and am about to send my letter of ack to s c & m.

Is there anything that you recommend that i could do next.

I have spoke to the court and obv they are extremerly busy.

They are still processing sept claims.

Am told i should have a court date/moreinfo by the end of this week.

what could i do next?

could i write to sc & m asking for them to settle before it goes to court?

Demenstrating my ability to comunicate.

Many thanks Phil.B

That's the way it goes unfortunately Phil. Stick with it, there's light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train for a change :)

hi reload,just received a letter from my local county court giving me a date for the amendment of my hearing. Is this normal?

It says that it is a general form of judgement or order.

before DISTRICT JUDGE HAIGH Sitting At county court,the law courts,Bolton,Lancs.

Without hearing

IT IS ORDERED THAT

The claimants application to amend the claim be listed for hearing on Monday 20th November 2006 @ 10.30am,to be heard at Bolton County court,with an estimated time of 15 minutes.

can you help at all with this or are you aware of a thread that i can read?

many thanks Phil.B

Firstly, try sending SC&M this and also send a copy to the court.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for providing me with a copy of your completed N149 Allocation Questionnaire, which I received on xx/xx/xx.

Referring to the Allocation Questionnaire, I must admit to being somewhat surprised by your response to Section A (Settlement). You have ticked ‘yes’, thereby requesting a one-month postponement in proceedings in order that a settlement may be reached by way of negotiation.

Please note that throughout the process of this claim, neither yourselves nor your client have ever given any indication whatsoever that you wish to settle this matter without the need for litigation. In fact, in my previous attempts at dialogue with your client has been met with outright refusals to negotiate this matter, and on xx/xx/xx, I received a letter from Lloyds TSB’s service recovery centre which explicitly stated that the bank had issued its ‘final response’ and therefore would not enter into any further correspondence. It is for this reason that I felt I had no alternative but to seek redress by way of Court action.

Having said the above, I do believe that litigation should always be a last resort and would of course be happy to settle this matter without the need for a court hearing. Please be advised though, that I am completely confidant in the strength of my claim and believe that your client’s charges could indeed be proved to be unlawful penalties, which you are trying to cloak as contractual service charges. For this reason, I will only settle for the amount of the claim, namely £xxxx.

In light of your indication of your intention to negotiate, I will await your communication informing me of how you wish to proceed. A copy of this letter will also be sent to the court.

Yours Sincerely

As for the amendment, you have made an application to amend your claim and the judge has decided that you will have a hearing to do so. Presumably you have already set out the amendments you wish to make on your N244 form so its just a case of re-iterateing that. I had an application hearing last week to lift a stay and its nothing at all to worry about. Make sure you call the judge sir and remember your manners and it'll be a piece of cake! You may wish to write a script or some prompts of what you wish to say, ie setting out the reasons for your application. Also, remember that small claims are not heard in a 'court' as you would imagion it, its more like an office. Its designed to be accesible to your average bloke (or woman!) in the street and is fairly informal.

• Haha 1

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Firstly, try sending SC&M this and also send a copy to the court.

As for the amendment, you have made an application to amend your claim and the judge has decided that you will have a hearing to do so. Presumably you have already set out the amendments you wish to make on your N244 form so its just a case of re-iterateing that. I had an application hearing last week to lift a stay and its nothing at all to worry about. Make sure you call the judge sir and remember your manners and it'll be a piece of cake! You may wish to write a script or some prompts of what you wish to say, ie setting out the reasons for your application. Also, remember that small claims are not heard in a 'court' as you would imagion it, its more like an office. Its designed to be accesible to your average bloke (or woman!) in the street and is fairly informal.

Ok cheers Gary. I have sent letter to s c & m and copied one to my local court.

Does the def have to be present at my hearing for my amendment. if not are they away that i am in court for it? should i let them know?

many thanks

Phil.B

The court will have let them know. Yes, they are supposed to be there, but its highly likely they will send a letter saying they have no objections to your amendment and apologising for their non-attendance. The reason given will be "to attempt keep the costs of this matter to a minimum"

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

WOW! going to be tougher than i first thought this cliaming money back lark. I am going to try to claim £2984.50 in unpaid D/D, unpaid cheques and overdraft excess fees. I've highlighted ALL the O/DRAFT INTEREST charges amounting to £283.65 which i now belive i can't claim back. (unless its interest on my charges) does anyone suggest that i don't bother trying to work out what i can and what i can't claim and just go for the actually charges? Please help sum1! Also do i add up both accounts and just claim once?

Hi Russ,

Firstly, please start a thread of your own, so you can create a timeline where people can track your progress. You should find you'll get more help that way, too.

In answer to your question though, no, O/D interest is not all reclaimable - only the proportion that was levied on top of unlawful charges. You would have to work out the claimable part from the legitamate part, which is quite complicated, so yes, your probably better off leaving it out completely.

Yes, its fine to add both accounts together, so long as they are both bank accounts. If it were a credit card you would need to keep it seperate.

The court will have let them know. Yes, they are supposed to be there, but its highly likely they will send a letter saying they have no objections to your amendment and apologising for their non-attendance. The reason given will be "to attempt keep the costs of this matter to a minimum"

Hi gary and thanks again for your help.

Do you think that i would benefit from trying to make contact with sc & m by phone? I want to show the court that have tried to make comunication to settle. I will use Mr Thomas as my contact as i am sure that you have heard his name quoted a few times lol.

I will catch up with your thread shortly and see where your at!

Many thanks Gary for your time...Phil.B

Yes, its definately worth a try. Ring them and say you are following up on your letter - ask if they have received it, and ask if they intend to attempt to come to a settlement since they indicated that was their intention on their A/Q. When ringing them, or when making any important phone call for that matter, write down a few prompts or headings to remind you of the main points of what you want to say. It is also a good idea to keep a record of what is said.

Let us know how you get on.

Yes, its definately worth a try. Ring them and say you are following up on your letter - ask if they have received it, and ask if they intend to attempt to come to a settlement since they indicated that was their intention on their A/Q. When ringing them, or when making any important phone call for that matter, write down a few prompts or headings to remind you of the main points of what you want to say. It is also a good idea to keep a record of what is said.

Let us know how you get on.

Phoned sc&m, asked to speak to Mr thomas.

Usual stuff - he is not available.

they use the normal comment about the central mailing unit.

I said that i would call back in 2 days time to speak to him again.

Gary are you our anyone else aware of a fax number to which i could use to comunicate.This could be used to avoid lenghthy delays.

many thanks Phil.B

Yep, their fax is 01273 745356

Have faxed sc&m today! Made fax FAO Mr Thomas.

I will be ringing him after lunch today to try to speak to him.

Faxed a copy of letter that i posted recorded del on 27th Oct outlining the fact that i wish to settle....blah blah blah.lol.

Phil.B

Good luck trying to get hold of him. He's quite elusive that Mr Thomas!

Phoned sc&m again today,asked to speak to Mr thomas.

Usual stuff - he is not available/engaged and very busy with all these claims...lol. asked if they have recieved my letter dated 27th Oct.

Mr Gary Allen said he could help and Pulled out "my file".

Yes we have received your letter dated 27th Oct (I also faxed a copy of this on 01/11/06 to make sure they got it, even though i sent letter recorded post)Asked him does Sc&m intend to attempt to come to a settlement,since they indicated that was there intention on their clients AQ. Answer we have asked for 28 days but not sure if court are aware. What the hell does that mean? Not sure if court are aware?.I will be ringing court today to progress this.

Phil.B

Hi all, just received the final sorry no payment will be made letter from Llyods/TSB letter (totally expected) It also said if you are still not happy you are welcome to complain to financial ombudsman service and this is their final response!. So I am just about to post court action threat letter straight back to them (which I already had prepared). Has anyone else had this response?