Forum on Buying a Pet

gemspan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I have sent many people here who have bought a pet from a breeder only to discover that it has either genetic health issues or health problems related to the way it has been bred.

I wondered if it would be possible to have a forum specifically to try and educate consumers on the best way to buy a pet and also what to do when problems occur.

There are currents thousands of advertisements on puppy websites, free ads, gumtree and Facebook of people selling animals and yet there is very little advice out there for consumers on what to do when things go wrong.

I actively campaign for ethical breeding so I am not anti-breeding but I have been involved in many cases where the purchaser has unwittingly bought an animal that has been badly bred and has suffered as a consequence. Many people witness their pets being put to sleep shortly after purchase and discover that the breeder doesn't want to know. They don't know how to get justice for their pets and the breeders continue to breed poorly animals and more families suffer.

I do think that this site would be an excellent platform to promote the best way to buy a pet and the legal restitution that can be sought.

I have been approached by a journalist who is interested in the lack of information relating to this subject and it would be much appreciated by all of us who deal with this on a daily basis if The Consumer Forums would add a sub-forum under General Consumer Issues or the like so that people can tell their stories and get advice on what they can do to get justice.

I hope you consider my request seriously. Breeding is big business today and is a multi-million pound industry. I am happy to help in any way I can to promote the website and the forum. I would also promote donations for advice received.

Thank you for your help.

Gemspan

Hi Gemspan,

We have a pet forum here

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)