• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you spoken to a CID detective or did you speak to the uniformed PG Tips chimp on the desk?

Dont expect the chimp to be able to understand anything more complex than the life and death need to record MOT and car insurance details.

Sent Student Loans a S.77 CCA request, their 12 days is up on Friday.

I've spotted a get out for them as the Act states that Section 77 doesnt apply to non-commercial loans.

Do student loans (with interest set at the Retail Price Index inflation rate) count as "commercial" loans?

Cant really see it myself. Doh!

• 4 months later...

Its up to what you want to achieve.

Stop paying the alleged debt off Get the alleged debt written off, make the alleged debt unenforceable, get all the interest back that you paid or just lie low in the knowledge they cant hassle you anymore.

I'm in the same situation. Havent been hassled since the 12 days expired. that was last November.

Ive now got up enough courage to try to get it all written off and get all payments made to them returned.

Email I recieved from the ICO.

8th June 2007

Case Reference Number RFA0xxxxxxxx

Dear noomill060

Further to your email dated 31 May 2007 I understand that Barclaycard do not have any credit agreement signed by you.

You believe that this means that there is no reason for them to process your data at all or place default notices on your credit record and have asked if you will need to make another complaint to get the default removed.

I should advise that in cases such as this, where an individual has requested a copy of a credit agreement and the Bank has been unable to supply this document this does not automatically make the default inaccurate, nor does it mean that Barclaycard has no reason to process your data at all.

From the correspondence you have sent it would appear that you do not dispute the existence of the debt with Barclaycard. It may be helpful to explain that the failure of a creditor to produce a copy of the signed credit agreement is not, on its own, evidence that your debt does not exist and should therefore not appear on your credit file. If the credit grantor can supply some other evidence of the agreement and you have no evidence to contradict this then it is likely to be proper for the debt to continue to be recorded on your credit file.

The Information Commissioner’s Office regulates and enforces the Data Protection Act 1998, amongst other legislation, and we have no involvement in regulating this aspect of the CCA. The CCA is regulated by the Office of Fair Trading and as such the matter you have raised (the lack of credit agreement) does not fall within our remit.

We would therefore suggest that if you wish to pursue this matter further you contact the Office of Fair Trading. For your information their contact details are:

Office of Fair Trading

Fleetbank House

2-6 Salisbury Square

London

EC4Y 8JX

www.oft.gov.uk

Enquiries – 08457-224-499

I trust that this clarifies the matter. This case will now be closed.

Yours sincerely

Laura Hennessy

Casework and Advice Officer

172 Statements by creditor or owner to be binding

(1) A statement by a creditor or owner is binding on him if given under—

section 77(1),

section 78(1),

and other sections.

In other words, it would appear to demonstrate bad faith if they now try to add other bits which should have been included in the alleged agreement they have provided.

Phoned TS today about exactly the same thing. First thing they asked was did you sign it?

Yes

Is the APR mentioned

No

Oh dear. Could you send the document for us to check out?- from what you've said, you have an absolute defence.

Told me write back to the DCA and tell them not to bother trying to enforce until they've complied fully with my s.78 request.

Sent the agreement, I mean application form off to TS today.

Sent this to Wescot:

15 June 2007

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Your ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir,

I am writing to inform you that this account is in dispute as I believe the figure that you claim is owed to your clients “Barclaycard” consists substantially or entirely of unlawful (and therefore unenforceable) penalty charges and I do not acknowledge this alleged debt.

Additionally, you have not complied with my s.78 CCA request received by you on 10 April 2007 for a true, executed copy of the original Credit Agreement. The document supplied by your client does NOT contain the prescribed terms as per s.60 of the CCA 1974 and is therefore unenforceable.

As the statutory 12 working days have elapsed, and a further calendar month has since elapsed, you have committed an offence and as long as you remain in default, you may not enforce the alleged agreement.

Additionally, a similar s.78 request made last November to another recovery agency employed by your client, also remains ignored and in default.

I would draw to your attention the OFT’s guidelines with regard to debt collection and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Yours Faithfully,

This letter is written entirely without prejudice to and under reservation of my whole rights and pleas and neither the letter (nor any copy of it) nor its content may be produced, exhibited, referred to or founded upon in any Court action or in any other proceedings except (a) with my express written consent or (b) at my instance.

Cc: Trading Standards

Spoke to TS today. They had recieved the document that I recieved in response to my CCA request.

NO APR

NO credit limit

NO repayment terms

= No agreement!

They suggest I write to the CEO of Barclaycrud and tell them to remove my default- pronto.

They also said the document has been passed to another dept with a view to charges against Barclaycrud and possibly Wescot as well under s.78 (5) They view this as extremely serious, well thats what the bloke I spoke to said.

We shall see.

:D

I wouldnt put this in:

"Trading Standards are questioning a major UK bank under caution with a view to bringing a criminal prosecution against them;"

You dont KNOW this for a fact, you are only repeating what I have told you about my phone call to TS. For all you know, I could be making this up.

Its really not a good idea to base statements such as this on the say so of anonymous well meaning strangers. :)

When I get hard copy from TS about my case I will put it up here and let you make of it what you will.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks