• Tweets

• Agreed, let them default. Keep everything in writing, if they ring to discuss the accounts over the phone, simply say 'everything in writing please', and hang up. They'll soon get the message. Get all of your paperwork in order too, if you haven't got any, or are missing relevant documents, then you can SAR the original creditor, which is free and they have 30 days to supply the info. Keep a diary of events too. sit back and relax, YOU'RE in control, not them.
    • thought you said you had an sjpn? dx  
    • dont go near them bunch of scammers! ive removed ref. dx  
    • I used to post regularly in order to provide factual information (rather than advice) but got fed up with banging my head against a brick wall in so many cases when posters insisted black was white and I was writing rubbish. I have never posted anything which was untrue or indeed biased in any way.  I have never given 'advice' but have sought to correct erroneous statements which were unhelpful. The only username I have ever used is blf1uk. I have never gone under any other username and have no connection to 'bailiff advice'.  I am not a High Court Enforcement Officer but obtained my first 'bailiff' certificate in 1982. I'm not sure what records you have accessed but I was certainly not born in 1977 - at that time I was serving in the Armed Forces in Hereford, Germany (4th Division HQ) and my wife gave birth to our eldest.   Going back to the original point, the fact is that employees of an Approved Enforcement Agency contracted by the Ministry of Justice can and do execute warrants of arrest (with and without bail), warrants of detention and warrants of commitment. In many cases, the employee is also an enforcement agent [but not acting as one]. Here is a fact.  I recently submitted an FOI request to HMCTS and they advised me (for example) that in 2022/23 Jacobs (the AEA for Wales) was issued with 4,750 financial arrest warrants (without bail) and 473 'breach' warrants.  A breach warrant is a community penalty breach warrant (CPBW) whereby the defendant has breached the terms of either their release from prison or the terms of an order [such as community service].  While the defendant may pay the sum [fine] due to avoid arrest on a financial arrest warrant, a breach warrant always results in their transportation to either a police station [for holding] or directly to the magistrates' court to go before the bench as is the case on financial arrest warrants without bail when they don't pay.  Wales has the lowest number of arrest warrants issued of the seven regions with South East exceeding 50,000.  Overall, the figure for arrest warrants issued to the three AEAs exceeds 200,000.  Many of these were previously dealt with directly by HMCTS using their employed Civilian Enforcement Officers but they were subject to TUPE in 2019 and either left the service or transferred to the three AEAs. In England, a local authority may take committal proceedings against an individual who has not paid their council tax and the court will issue a committal summons.  If the person does not attend the committal hearing, the court will issue a warrant of arrest usually with bail but occasionally without bail (certainly without bail if when bailed on their own recognizance the defendant still fails to appear).   A warrant of arrest to bring the debtor before the court is issued under regulation 48(5) of The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and can be executed by "any person to whom it is directed or by any constable....." (Reg 48(6).  These, although much [much] lower in number compared to HMCTS, are also dealt with by the enforcement agencies contracted by the local authorities. Feel free to do your own research using FOI enquiries!  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Urgent Help Required - Repossesion of House EVICTION CANCELLED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5441 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also make sure you keep a record of these calls in case you need to refer to them in court. There is no way they should refuse a payment which may cause a charge.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Sorry for the delay, I lost connection and couldn't get it back.

I don't know if I can borrow the money from the loan shark, I was just saying that it is the only option for borrowing the money. I really don't want to go down that route again, as the repayments were £800 a month, which is more than the mortgage. I also know that I won't be able to pay them both again, which will leave me in the same predicament again.

I really want to keep my home, pay off the arrears in instalments and get back on an even keel with my mortgage. Is it too much to ask?

I have just connected the printer, so I can print off the statement.

Thanks

OK, please, please do not go to the loan shark - you will only end up in the same position again.

Affixed is the statement to go with Q.10. Where I have put XXX's you need to fill in the info from the warrant (delete the X's of course). Do not edit the words Claimant and Defendant in the extreme right hand boxes.

On the letter from your employer, write the claim number on the top left hand corner and Appendix 1 on the top right hand corner. Do the same on the budget sheet except put Appendix 2.

Once you have it all together take a copy of everything as you will need to take one with you on the day of the hearing.

I have to go out for an hour or so - will you be able to get online later so I can check you are OK with everything?

The fee to pay at court will be £35.00.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Devlin N244.doc

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi,

Yes I should be on here for the rest of the day, connection depending! I am trying to get as much sorted out as I can.

I am terrified of having to go back to the loan shark. I didn't have the money on the day he called for it a few months ago and he smashed the window on my back door. I suppose it was effective in the sense that I made sure I had the money early, in case he called early to collect. Unfortunatly, his actions scared me in to paying him instead of the mortgage.

I really appreciate all the help you have given me.

I would definitely mention the refusal to accept payment from you to the Judge at Court. I've known this to happen and the Judge has had a complete wobbly...generally gives the solicitor for the claimant a very hard time at that point. It will help sway it in your favour - not that it will be a problem at all. Please please please don't worry. Enjoy tonight - look to 2009 as the year you will be sorted.

Any questions please post away.

RM

The refusal to accept payment is detailed in the statement.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there, you need to attach (securely) the letter from your employer (Appendix 1) and the budget sheet (Appendix 2) to the N244 and hand it in t the court on the 2nd.

Make sure you take copies of the form, the letter and the budget sheet for yourself to take with you to court on the day of the hearing. You will need to be able to refer to what you have said if necessary.

Once you have a date for the hearing we will go through the procedure in more detail.

Are you able to send a cheque for the payment they wouldn't take over the phone? If so, let me know and I'll draft a letter for you to send with it.

Ell

I have just tried phoning them again, and they still won't let me know how much the monthly payment is. It's changed twice because of the interest rate cut, but I don't know to how much. They have also said that they will not take any payments on the account and reiterated what the other girl said about the fact that they'll be taking the house. As I said before, not very helpful!

When I asked them what method of payment they did accept, they said I would have to clear the arrears by bank transfer or by debit card only. Until the arrears had been cleared they would not talk to me about any other 'issues' regarding my account.

No, they don't tell you their name, even when you ask. I did ask and she said that all the calls were all logged under their systems and they don't give out their personal information. I didn't say anything about applying to the court for it to be suspended as I didn't want them to know what I was doing in advance, if this make sense? I just think that they would perhaps pressure me?

Makes perfect sense to me hun - don't blame you. The hearing will be with notice though, so they will most likely send someone to oppose it. Just tell them it's out of their and your hands and the Judge will decide whether or not they can take possession. With the exception of the next couple of hours I'll be around all evening (sad huh lol) so any jitters or help you need - just ask. I'm determined as many people as possible have a lovely New Year.

RM

Thanks for your support! I don't think I'll have a happy new year until after the hearing though, not even then possibly! I still can't get over the fact that they put it through my letter box on the 23rd, when they knew there would be nothing I could do until the new year! Christmas & New Year have been cancelled this year. I don't drink, due to looking after my father, but I am considering starting!

I'm so glad I found this site. Everyone has been very supportive and helpful, I don't know what I would have done without it!

You'll be fine. I've done loads of these hearings and I think they've gone the lenders way in perhaps 3 occasions - and two of those were when the applicant (i.e. the person in your position) didn't turn up. The other was when the applicant had forged letters - but even then made another last minute application and the warrant was suspended. Those were I'm there for the Defendant I've not lost on yet. So please please please don't worry.

I agree tho. It does seem incredible heartless to have posted the letter on the 23rd. Whereabouts are you in the country?

RM

I'm in Cornwall and everything down here shuts over the Christmas / New Year period. It can be very frustrating.

I have to enter the N244 on the 2nd and they'll give me the next available date for the hearing, which they think will be the 8th / 9th Jan. The court is only open on those 2 days of the week. If things don't go my way at the hearing, is there anything I can do? The warrent for possesion is for the 15th and it doesn't leave me much time.

You will be fine, try and relax a bit - there's no reason why the judge shouldn't suspend the eviction, you have an income and can show you are able to maintain payments towards the arrears. I have helped people in a much worse situation than yours and they have kept their homes.

Stay positive :)

Ellx

Thanks! I'm going to log-off now and try and spend some time with my father & son rather than panicing. I know I can't do anything until the 2nd and I need to relax a bit.

I'll go to the court on the 2nd with the information provided and I'll work from there. No doubt I'll be on here then, but tomorrow will just be a family day!

I hope you have a good new year and once again, thanks. x

Yes, you can appeal the decision of the District Judge but make sure you ask for leave to appeal at the hearing if it doesn't go you way. Even if the Judge won't grant you permission, you then apply to the Circuit Judge for permission to appeal. In Law you have every reason to have the warrant suspended. I've seen far far worse situations where the borrowers have had the warrant suspended so I'm very confident.

RM

Help! We had a mortgage with Amber Home Loans, who sold it on to Redstone, since that time our payments have gone up over £500 per month. We are both self employed and got into a bit of financial trouble! We missed a couple of mortgage payments, tried to talk to Redstone but they wouldn't listen. They applied to the court for a repossession order - I rang them before the court date and told them that I could start making payments in January as I had now got a job - they told me that the hearing was not for repossession but for the judge to work out a payment plan, so stupidly I did not attend - I was scared stiff!!! We have now received a letter on the 23rd December stating that repossession will take place on the 14th Jan 2009. What can I do - this is making me feel like topping myself - I have two young boys - and am now in a position to make my mortgage payments but have heard so much about Redstone that I'm scared they won't listen. Help please.

Help! We had a mortgage with Amber Home Loans, who sold it on to Redstone, since that time our payments have gone up over £500 per month. We are both self employed and got into a bit of financial trouble! We missed a couple of mortgage payments, tried to talk to Redstone but they wouldn't listen. They applied to the court for a repossession order - I rang them before the court date and told them that I could start making payments in January as I had now got a job - they told me that the hearing was not for repossession but for the judge to work out a payment plan, so stupidly I did not attend - I was scared stiff!!! We have now received a letter on the 23rd December stating that repossession will take place on the 14th Jan 2009. What can I do - this is making me feel like topping myself - I have two young boys - and am now in a position to make my mortgage payments but have heard so much about Redstone that I'm scared they won't listen. Help please.

When you come into the possessions forum you will see a button at the bottom New Thread. If you start your own thread you will get some help -- You can call it something like "help needed with Restone Re-possession"

Then cut and copy your post and try and give us as much detail as possible.

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi, make sure you have a copy of everything you handed in to court and also ensure you get to court in plenty of time.

There may be a free legal representative or CAB counsellor available in court on the day - if so, approach them and they will accompany you into the hearing. You could telephone the court beforehand to find out if they have any of them in attendance on the date of your hearing.

Ell

Hi Ell-enn,

Good news! I had a letter from the mortgage company this morning informing me that the possession could still be stopped if I phone them to discuss my proposals and the clearing of the arrears. I thought that I had nothing to lose by phoning them and that I didn't want it to seem that I was ignoring their correspondance.

I spoke to a really nice man this time and we talked through my payment proposals that I had entered on the budget sheet and my expenditure in general. I also said that I would be bringing someone from the CAB to the hearing tomorrow to re-iterate the details in my documents.

He asked if I could make any lump-sum payment towards the arrears figure, to which I replied 'No' and explained that I didn't want to get in to the same problems as before, when the arrears were cleared by the loan-shark. I also explained that I wouldn't be geting my full paypacked until the last working day of the month (January). I explained to him that I just wanted to get everything back on the straight and narrow and to clear the arrears in a 'proper' manner.

He had to discuss it with his colleague, but came back to me after 5 minutes and confirmed that they would accept the arrangement starting on 1st February. He also apologised for his colleagues rude and unhelpful manner, as in the rude woman who wouldn't tell me how much the mortgage was a month!

I will still be going to court in the morning, but he has told me that they will inform their solicitors of the agreement. I don't trust them, so I will definately be going!

I know it is still up to the judge, but at least it is a step forward.

Have you heard of cases being decided against a person, where an agreement has been put in place?

Hi there, if the other side have agreed to a suspension and infomed their court representative then you will have no problem.

Did you get the name of the guy you spoke to? it would be worth mentioning in court that you came to an agreement over the phone today.

It will be fine - I'm confident you will get a good result.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn