can i claim vet fees off owner whos dog attacked mine

littlemissme
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i'm a student without a lot of money, so before i spend the 70 quid or so i've heard it costs to pursue small claims action it would be nice to have a better sense of the anticipated outcome.

can anyone speak to what the law says about these types of cases and what is likely to happen in small claims court?

• 1 month later...
i'm a student without a lot of money, so before i spend the 70 quid or so i've heard it costs to pursue small claims action it would be nice to have a better sense of the anticipated outcome.

can anyone speak to what the law says about these types of cases and what is likely to happen in small claims court?

Well how about going to the small claims website yourself and finding out the facts. "I've heard" isn't a fact.

The small claims website will explain everything, including what it costs, how to fill in the forms, what you need to provide as proof and what will happen. It's always better to look for and read the facts for yourself, thatn rely on hearsay and supposition. If your dog was attacked by another dog, then you need to sue the person who was in charge of the dog at the time. If you are able to porive that this dog did the attacking, then the person in charge is liable for ALL of the vet fees.

Well how about going to the small claims website yourself and finding out the facts. "I've heard" isn't a fact.

The small claims website will explain everything, including what it costs, how to fill in the forms, what you need to provide as proof and what will happen. It's always better to look for and read the facts for yourself, thatn rely on hearsay and supposition. If your dog was attacked by another dog, then you need to sue the person who was in charge of the dog at the time. If you are able to porive that this dog did the attacking, then the person in charge is liable for ALL of the vet fees.

apologies if i wasn't very clear but you misunderstood my question.

i don't care so much whether it costs £70, £75, etc. to initiate a small claims action.

what i'm interested in learning -- and what reading the small claims website cannot speak to -- is my probability of a successful judgment based on the experience of others. the probability of success is based on the law, the judge, jurisdiction, etc. reading the small claims website won't help me understand these issues as well as hearing from someone who has pursued similar action.

if anyone has pursued a similar claim in small claims court i'd appreciate hearing your story. thanks.

No-one here is a physic so we cant really tell you of probabilities of success.

But speaking generally, if someone does an action that causes someone else damage and expense then they can claim damages in court, whether they are succesfull will depend on how they put together their case and the evidence they rely upon, you cant just turn up and say to the judge 'that dog bit my dog', you'll need evidence of the attack and evidence of the cost of vets, etc.

I suspect there is case law to also rely upon, case law is a similar case to yours which resulted in the outcome you desire, case law is normally cases from a High Court, Baili has a database of cases > http://www.bailii.org/

Andy

• 1 year later...

My little 3 yr old jrtx dog was bitten last week by a Labrador causing us to have to take her to the vet. She was badly bitten on her leg & had to have 3 lots of stitches. I spoke to our local dog warden today and she said that because she was off the lead that we would be liable for any costs. But the other dog was also off the lead. My dog did bark at the other dog but has never bitten anything. The warden said that the rules changed about someone being in control of their dog in Shropshire, but I can't see anywhere that states if both dogs are off their leads. I have approached the owner of the lab but he just keeps saying that it's unfortunate & won't be giving us anything. Apart from the financial side (we're struggling) it has been very upsetting for all of us. So I don't know the best action to take now, can anyone advise?