• Tweets

• Please read the following thread very carefully. It is extremely relevant where you are suing Evri on the basis of a contract which you originally made with Packlink who are domiciled in Spain. A judgement has been obtained and we have applied for transcript and it will be put up on this thread as soon as we receive it probably about the end of July. In the meanwhile, read this thread, see what has been discovered about the Packlink/Evri/customer relationship and look at the witness statement very carefully. It's a long thread but don't give up. Once you have the transcript of the judgement, then I will do a more careful and explanatory post here   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/459707-evri-lost-my-ebay-parcel-£844-court-claim-issued-judgment/
    • So if the breach occurred say Dec 2017 (first missed payment) and the default notice was issued Sept 2018 and the claim was issued 7th June 24 the claimant will of course be arguing it is within the limitation period (by 3 months)
    • Yep, I would  have brought up the other things like asking for their contract and receiving no response etc. but the mediation phone calls were rather short. Evri just said the contract was not with them (i said 1999 act response etc.) and the goodwill offer thing. Whole process took about 10 minutes in total. Seems like they don't even want to negotate in mediations anymore. "they're only given a certain amount that they can agree to in mediation per day" I mean its hard for me to say if thats the mediator paraphrasing or aa direct quote from evri I will look through that thread and share what I find, also for what its worth I also have everything I made for the previous claim WS and bundles etc. that I can tweak for this parcel, since it did go almost all the way to court and is a virtually identical case. that + this new stuff you shared above should be helpful to me
    • If I haven't referred to it before then please check out this thread another case where the claimant contracted directly with Packlink for a courier delivery service carried out by Evri. Please read this thread very carefully and eventually you will get to a point where the claimant – our OP – discovered some interesting terms and conditions and has referred to them in his case. He incorporated these into his witness statement and was given judgement – not on the basis of rights of third parties but on the basis of direct responsibility. I would suggest that use the witness statement as a model although we will want to see it before you file it off. When you find the particular post with the witness statement, please can you post a link to it here as well as a copy of the witness statement because I don't have the time to look for it at the moment and the thread is rather long. However it is very important to you and you should go through it very carefully indeed. We have applied for a transcript of the judgement and hopefully it will be along in six weeks or so. As soon as we receive it we will make it available on this sub- forum.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Misled by agent on notice period. Furious!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have been on a periodic tenancy since our last contract expired on 11th September last year, but I have decided to move out because the landlord wasn't doing anything to maintain the property.

Not fully understanding how the notice period works in this situation, I called my letting agent to ask them to clarify.

They explained to me that I could give one month's notice at any time, and if the move out date didn't co-incide with a rental period date, they would ask me to pay whatever proportion of a month's rent was due. I gave one month's notice on 17th March asking for the tenancy to end on 18th April. I called back to confirm this date with the agent, who agreed and told me that they had instructed the landlord and he had also agreed this was fine. At least three subsequent phone calls made specific reference to this date and I was assured as recently as 23rd March that this date is still ok.

On this basis I have cancelled all utilities and agreed an exchange date and mortgage payment dates for my new house.

They have subsequently realised that this original advice was in error and that they can legally hold me to pay rent right up until 10th May and will do so, this being the date when my next rental payment would have been due. This leaves me considerably out of pocket and absolutely furious!! I would never have made the substantial arrangements to move house on the date I have done, had I been told this in the first place.

Can anyone advise me of what I can or should do to get this extra rental money back? It would be hugely appreciated!

Hello and Welcome, 5tu.

I've unapproved your duplicate Thread, hopefully you'll get some help shortly.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

your first mistake is to have these kind of conversations on the telephone without recording your calls. I think that I must have posted this advice to more than a dozen people this week – and hundreds over the past years. If you deal with any company, any bank, any lender, any creditor, any DCA, any estate agent, anyone, anyone, anyone on the telephone without recording your calls – then you will regret it.

If they will agree formally that they made a mistake in their advice – and if you can show that you acted on their mistaken advice to your disadvantage, then they will not be able to claim the money from you. If they try to sue you for the money then you would have to say that they are estopped.

Search this forum for posts containing the word "estoppel" to find out all about this defence.

If you find that you have no evidence of their mistaken advice and so that it is your word against theirs, then your only other hope is to say that your landlord's failure to maintain the property so seriously breached the tenancy contract, that it effectively brought it to an end and you were entitled to move out early.

If you find that you have no evidence of their mistaken advice and so that it is your word against theirs, then your only other hope is to say that your landlord's failure to maintain the property so seriously breached the tenancy contract, that it effectively brought it to an end and you were entitled to move out early.

Agreed with BF in everything else above bar this - this action would not in any way (unless property was legally uninhabitable) render the contract breached or cancelled.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Is your deposit protected and have you been notified where and who with, if not they are in breach of contract and any date problem will be in dispute and you could leave without paying extra and could sue for 3x deposit, a good bargaining chip.

Thanks guys, this seems to confirm my fear that not having anything in writing is going to make this impossible. The only reason I called to ask is that they hadn't bothered to reply to my emails asking them in the first place!

I have no idea how to record my phone conversations, but will certainly look into how this is done for the future.

The agent in question won't formally agree that she made a mistake with this advice. She told me that 'she couldn't remember any previous phone conversations' that she'd had with me when she realised her mistake. I know for a fact that this was when her legal team called her to tell her that she had told me the wrong thing. They told me as much themselves. This seems pretty unbelievable as I had been speaking to her about it regularly up to 24 hours beforehand. Which is what irks me the most!!!

I can show that I took considerable action, i.e. cancelling my utilities and pressing for an early completion date on my house move because I had to be out by 18th. Can I do anything with this evidence?

• 4 weeks later...

My advice is applicable only if the rented premises are entirely within England and Wales, and only if you were granted a shorthold tenancy (under which you [and your spouse/partner/children if any] had exclusive use of at least a bedroom, a kitchen and a bathroom, none of which were shared with another tenant nor with the landlord) and you were over 18 years of age when the tenancy was granted.

Under the 1988 Housing Act, unless a different type of tenancy is specifically agreed on, an agreement to create a tenancy creates a shorthold tenancy.

It is typically an open-ended weekly or monthly periodic tenancy, depending on whether the rent is due weekly or monthly.

There are two ways for you to end a shorthold tenancy. Where it is a periodic tenancy, you can give not less than one period's notice in writing [for example, one calendar month's notice if the rent is payable monthly, one quarter's notice if rent is payable quarterly], expiring on a rent day; or, alternatively, you and the landlord can agree an immediate surrender, by a document signed by you both.

The rent ends when the notice runs out, or on the date the surrender document specifies, respectively.

If you paid a deposit, please read the FAQs about the tenancy deposit scheme, under which you might be entitled to sue for compensation if you had a shorthold tenancy -

- Tenancy Deposit Scheme

- Tenancy Deposit Protection - First High Court Decision

- TDS eligibility, implication of breach and legal questions answered

Also read the FAQ about what deductions the landlord can lawfully make from the deposit -

- Unfair deposit deductions

Given that the letting agent is the landlord's agent, not yours, they probably have no contractual duty towards you.

They might be liable to you in tort, e.g. in negligence, for negligent misstatement; but you would have to satisfy a court that they owed you a legal duty of care - which might be difficult since they are not holding themselves out as lawyers; so, given that they are not solicitors, the court might feel there is no reasonable expectation that they could give you legal advice.

You would also have to prove that they actually gave you any advice at all, not merely that it was incorrect, if it was.

Edited by Ed999

I have decided to move out because the landlord wasn't doing anything to maintain the property.

My advice is applicable only if the rented premises are entirely within England and Wales, and only if you were granted a shorthold tenancy (under which you [and your spouse/partner/children if any] had exclusive use of at least a bedroom, a kitchen and a bathroom, none of which were shared with another tenant nor with the landlord) and you were over 18 years of age when the tenancy was granted.

Read this FAQ - Disrepairs in privately rented accommodation

If there was disrepair, the tenant might be entitled in law to sue the landlord for damages - i.e. compensation.

Also, beware of agreeing to pay for any item which is the landlord's responsibility to pay for. It never makes sense to pay for improvements to the premises.