• Tweets

• or go really bold ... Further to my request for a copy of the agreement you refer to on ( date) I made a section 78 request pursuant to the Credit Consumer Act 1974 to which you have yet to reply or respond. Pursuant to the Credit Consumer act 1974 section 78 (6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)— (a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.
    • Pers I'd stop paying the lot and get each defaulted by a dn issuance.  Defaults can't hurt future renting no Only ccj's Can't keep saying the same answers.    Dx        
    • Ok thank you. That’s where we are getting confused, as we’re not sure where we stand legally. But we’re still unsure who we should be going to now, the dealer or the finance company? I’m assuming the evidence we have (the reports from Mercedes) showing that the fault was there when we purchased would be sufficient to prove this? To be honest we would prefer to send the car back completely as are now concerned more problems may arise.
    • No no - I would complain via the CEO and Directors Office.     They sorted it in less than 24 hours for me. Complaint closed and compo issued. 
    • Hi, Thanks a lot for your valuable advice and apologies for bit delay in providing some additional information as requested before. I was also looking at other threads to get some more knowledge, apologies if my questions have already been answered in some other threads and I have missed them. I would appreciate if you can guide to relevant thread to help navigate easily. If I opt to go down the route of availing BS option, I'd find it more convenient if I do it in parts i.e., applying with 2/3 creditors at a time. Is that even possible in my case? I understand that DN might be the best option for me but I am trying to avoid this route as much as I can. I am currently living in a rented property with wife and 3 kids and I am not how this is going to play out in future if we decide to move to some other area. How will DN impact my intention of getting house on mortgage (dream as of today) after 6 years? If I go for DN strainght away, do I have to do it for all debts? for example, can i leave one active credit card out of this DN? what can i do if I go for DN right now but my financial situation improves in 1-2 years due to better job or promotion etc.?  Here are the details of my debts. Let me know please if you have any questions. Regards, MM Overdraft Halifax - £2,500 Starling - £500 (I can settle this immediately to keep this account active as back-up for salary and other priority expenses like rent, council tax etc.)   Personal Loans - Outstanding Amounts - No defaults or missed payments Plata - approx. £27,000 BetterBorrow - £3,450 Zopa - £14,000 Reevo - £2,800 Updraft - £2,230   Credit Card - Balances - No defaults or missed payments except those noted Virgin - £6,100 (This card is suspended.) Halifax - £5,474 (This card is suspended.) Barclays - £5,400 (I am currently on a fixed monthly payment plan of £232 for almost a year now and missed last month's payment.) Aqua - £3,100 Fluid - £2,100  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

help im going to court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4881 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there im new here i have a problem and would be greatful for you advice/comments.

i traveld on a train last year for a weekend away with friends one of of them bought all tickets online. the trip cosisted of one train to the destiation and two trains home. we had all tickets witch the friend who bought them kept for all of us. on the way home on the second train the inspetor came on the train and asked to see are tickets. somehow the ticket for the train we were traveling on were lost BUT we had the recipet for the whole set of tickets for ar trip. the inspector didnt care about this and tryed to charg us for the ticket. we told him we would not pay twice for the tickets. so he had the police wating for us at are stop. when we exited the train the police came and assest the situation. when we showed them are evidence they could tell that we were traveling ligitametly BUT the inspector insisted we have a ticket. so we give the inspector are details and were giving a fine ticket. i was the only one of my friend to appel but incerdently missed the appel date. now i am summons to court. 'none of my friends have had any further action aginst them' . which make me think im being pusude because i tryed to do things the 'right way'. the way i see this is (this man cares well get money out of hin)= me (these dont give a s**t no point in chaseing the they wont pay)= friends .

The point is i payed and have the rciptes to prove it and the costs to travel to court will be big.

what do you's think thanks

I think I understand what you're saying, but reading that was quite challenging! Basically you couldn't produce the ticket for the journey you were making, only the receipt. This, as strange as it may seem, is not actually travellingt legitimately, as only the tickets themselves are valid for travel, and not the receipts (who's to say somebody else wasn't using the tickets and you were trying to pull a fast one? Bear in mind the RPI didn't know you from Adam!). If it was the British Transport Police who met the train, they should know this. Local forces on the other hand...

The fact that you have been summonsed to Court, wont be because you dared to appeal the Penalty Fare, but because you let the deadline lapse, and failed to pay the amount on the notice. If this is not the case, it would appear there has been an admin error somewhere along the line! Bear in mind that if you appeal and it is rejected, the amount is obviously still payable. You will have had time after the dealine to make payment, although this might have been raised slightly due to additional admin costs etc.

Unfortunatley for you, the RPI was correct in his/her actions, even if it does seem rather harsh.

thanks for your input. so basically im being fined for losing my ticket that i paid for and can prove i payed for. makes sence i guess lol. dose common sence not mean anything any more.
You were Penalty Fared, not Fined. You'll only be fined if found guilty at Court. You can prove that you paid for a ticket (if paid for by card), but you can't prove that you initially had the ticket. You could have given it to somebody else to use, and be trying your luck. Remember, the staff don't know you. By not being able to produce your rail ticket, you have committed a Byelaw offence (18.2). I suggest you call the Train company, assuming you've already received paperwork, and try and sort the situation out. The Penalty Fare Notice was your initial opportunity to keep the matter out of Court. Was it actually a PFN as opposed to an Unpaid Fare Notice? (just the cost of the full single fare and not a penalty).

what your saying seams correct. so going to court would be a bad thing for me. but its so frustrating having to pay twice. but what do you think about my friends who have got away scot free. this sends a message to me that next time this may happen is to do nothing

what your saying seams correct. so going to court would be a bad thing for me. but its so frustrating having to pay twice. but what do you think about my friends who have got away scot free. this sends a message to me that next time this may happen is to do nothing
I would imagine your friends were dealt with in the same way initially, but they paid their PF/UFN. Even if the appealed and this was rejected, as long as they paid the amount due, there'd be no further action.

they have not payed a penny or appeled
I'm a little confused by the ticket type here. Were you all on one ticket? Or could you all not find your tickets? If they had committed the same offence, and were dealt with in the same way as you at the time, they'll more than likely hear something from the TOC soon.

we all had seperate tickets kept buy one person. sine my appele i have had a few letters fromthe train com no one else has. like i said. they seen that i cear and charge me because thers a high propibility i will pay due to the fact that i appeld and showed them intrest. my friends did noting and have not had noting but the first letter we all recived. at this minute in time i wish i had done the same

ps

i am still thankful for you input and my wighting may be bad because im dislexic if thats how you spell it ha ha

we all had seperate tickets kept buy one person. sine my appele i have had a few letters fromthe train com no one else has. like i said. they seen that i cear and charge me because thers a high propibility i will pay due to the fact that i appeld and showed them intrest. my friends did noting and have not had noting but the first letter we all recived. at this minute in time i wish i had done the same

ps

i am still thankful for you input and my wighting may be bad because im dislexic if thats how you spell it ha ha

What correspondence have you received and from whom? If it is a summons for a Magistrate's Court, then it's obviously gone to about as far as it'll ever go. If it's demands for the Penalty Fare to be paid, with extra charges added for late payment, then there's still a chance it wont go to court, as long as you pay the amount due. I don't know why your friends haven't received anything through the post. Did they give correct names and addresses?

Stigy is spot-on. In general rail staff don't know who you are or anything about you or your friends.

That means that in accordance with the Railway Byelaws, the only evidence that you have paid your fare, which they are obliged to accept is a valid rail ticket.

A receipt is not acceptable as a ticket for the reasons set out by Stigy. It could be that two people are travelling and only one ticket has been purchased and for that reason a receipt cannot be accepted as valid for travel.

If you fail to show a valid ticket on demand when facilities were available to get one before travelling, they can report an offence of being in breach of National Railway Byelaw 18.2

Many people think that if they ignore a penalty notice or unpaid fare notice it will go away. That rarely happens.

If an appeal is made and is unsuccessful, the liability still remains and can end up in prosecution.

Some people will give a false name and / or address. Obviously, some people might get away with it. It is an extremely dangerous practice however, because in this day and age, checking identity is very much simpler than in the past and added to that, CCTV covers all stations and a great many trains

If you fail to pay or appeal successfully on these notices, the matter may go to prosecution of an allegation of a Byelaw offence. The penalty if convicted is a fine.

The traveller who tries it on by giving a false name, or address or both, runs a much greater risk when caught out, because that isn't a Byelaw matter. The traveller that gives false detail will normally be charged with intentional fare evasion and on conviction, the maximum penalty available to a Court then is a fine and / or a term of imprisonment.

It will be interesting to see what the charge on the Summons actually is.

Have you been charged with the Byelaw offence or does the Summons state a charge under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 ?

its the byelaw charge. ive just noticed somthing. in the court summons it says that the affenced was no show of ticket for the jorney from newcastle to glasgow. i never made this jorney i traveld from glasgow to newcastle. will this get the case kicked out of court

From experience I've never known that one to get thrown out. It shouldn't happen, but very occasionally it does.

As Wriggler7 says, frequently the charge will read 'when travelling on a train between ...... stations

If I were the prosecutor and this example were challenged, I would immediately apologise to the Court and the Defendant and explain that: "This is indeed an error for which we apologise. The alleged journey as reported was in fact between these two points, but the station names have been typed in the wrong order, I am sorry that had not been spotted earlier and I ask if the Court will permit the Summons to be amended to reflect the correct journey, which I believe is not disputed?"

It has happened to me twice over the years and on both occasions the Court, having referred to the defendant, were happy to amend.

On the other hand, although in my opinion it isn't likely, you never know. You might be lucky, you might get a Court that say 'No' the information is innaccurate.

it says (from newcastle) (to glasgow) not between or any thing like that. i was thinking the court might think if they got this information worng what else could be worng. also a friend told me you get travel expences win or lose is this true? thank guys

You will not get travel expenses if you lose. I doubt that you would get expenses at a 'first hearing', as the paperwork makes it clear that you could have dealt with the case by correspondence at that point. If, after a 'not guilty' plea has been entered, the railway ask for a trial, and you are found not guilty, you might get travel costs from 'central funds'.

If I were defending the case, I would suggest that if they can get one fact wrong, they could get other facts wrong. However, The railway only need to prove that whilst you were travelling by train, you failed to show a ticket.

If I were prosecuting this case, I am afraid if I thought the case was getting away from me, I would make reference to how confused the inspector was when trying to make sense of what the passenger was saying, but he did get the date right, the fact that this happened 'on a train' or 'at a railway station', and that the ticket was 'not shown' or 'not right'.

One of the early things that an advocate will do is look at 'flaws' in the paperwork. He will be looking for a weakness to exploit. I do not wish to be uncharitable or unkind, but your posts, and therefore probably any correspondence which you have sent to the railway, show a weakness. In Court, with great charm and tact, I would draw out that weakness. When you tell the Court that 'if they can get that wrong, they could have got other things wrong', I would agree with you, and then come back with 'but, you were on a train.'

As Old Codja indicates, a summons can be amended, or if push comes to shove, withdrawn and a correct one issued.

Yes, as Wriggler7 says, all the company need do is prove to the satisfaction of the Court that you were on a train without a ticket and if you are charged with the Byelaw offence, that will read 'failed to show a valid ticket when asked to do so' contrary to National Railway Byelaw 18.2 (2005) or similar wording. It's that 'fail to show' bit that is the actual offence.

I don't know how soon your hearing date is, but if that is how you've been charged, I believe that the best suggestion that I can make is that you make a further effort to get them to settle the matter without continuing the Court action.

Make it easier for them to settle and get their costs back by apologising and offering to pay the fare and their costs to avoid Court action.

i dont want to settel i have all ready paid for my ticket!. it will proberly cost more to travel to court than to settel but its a matter of princerple. also will they bring my appele letter to court because i sent in my tickets in with it. i also had the ticket for the train i was traveling on but not the train befor hand as my friend put the tickets from the privious journy in the bin as he thought we didnt need them anymore but the inspector told us we needed two tickets. in total i had 3 tickets 1 toget ther and 2 to get back. this is on the recipt