• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Dayglo's mission to get his life back!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4702 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Indeed - but, the problem is they all think they above the law and they don't like us standing up to them, do they?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Surly - he doesn't seem to have been posting much lately!!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

don't worry, he's fine.

That's good to hear - what's the crack then, is he still around on the forum and coming back?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

lmfao!!

What was your reply?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I have to be careful here as well, as VF are reading this thread.

What makes you say that?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

a) because they are not idiots and they can find out exactly what's going on in people's minds that are bringing claims.

b) I would if were them

c) They have quoted things back to me that I've only mentioned via here.

oh and by the way, the NatWest default has now vanished from all three CRAs :D

Fair enough - I didn't know about c)!!!

congrats on the natwest thing!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, but we ought to try and remember that there are decent folk working for organisations that we may happen to disagree with. Just because they let us down doesn't give us (or me) the right to be rude or unpleasant to any of their staff.

I understand what you mean Dayglo, but these organisations can really effect people's lives....more so than retail organisations etc, yet the abuse I used to get when I was retail assisstant just because we had sold out of liquerice allsorts or whatever was not warranted - working for financial and "governmental" organisations like the ICO, I am sure people 'expect' it more, and as far as I am concerned I wouldn't bother apologising......the people working could make sure it was doing it's job, just by raising awareness and stuff, that they don't so, I wuold just spend the cash on your missus fella.

Hope you understand where I am coming from, don't think I've explained it that well!! :-/

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Btw, about the flowers.....do what YOU think you ought to.....

Actually, I agree!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

The Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004, laid under the Consumer Credit Act 1974; (3237)

This means they are regulations UNDER the CCA. So VF can't say they apply but CCA doesn't.

Hiya mate, I've just been reading back through the whole thread - sorry to trudge up the past but where did you find that Vodafone are regulated under the CCA? T-Mobile have told me they aren't and they cannot provide a copy of my application.....I asked them to remove my info but they reckon that consent can be obtained verbally or even by consent (ie. using the phone!)

Is this right?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Ok....they reckon that by me using the phone I consented to them storing my information.....I'll ask them exactly how they can prove it then!!

Thanks Tink

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hey man, that's great news!

Just ask and we'll all help where we can!! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

well the AQ has been with the court for a week now as has the letter to the legal team at vodafone... no news as yet.

does anyone know the typical turnaround time for an AQ and when I'm likely to hear about the allocated track?

My understanding is that they get 14 days to issue their AQ, if they don't then the court send them an "Unless Order" giving them another 7 days to issue. If they don't issue it after the 7 days then you can apply for judgment!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

my local court is tiny. I think I'm the only one who ever phones them up.

lmao

My charges claims:

Default removals:

SB was certianly an inspiration and a driving force to me. His posts often took me a couple of hours to get my head around but always led me in the right direction.

Pete

Yes guys, I agree- I wonder where he is and although I am little more nervous without him, we have all learned enough from him to help each other through - I'm sure he will post when he's brought the CRA's down, lol!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

ok everyone - fairly bad news I'm afraid - I got this from my local court today

I have no idea what to do.

Whaaaaaaaaat???? Is this basically the Court saying that they do not have power to hear it or is this a request from Vodafone?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Seems Vodas defence was to question the courts jurisdiction.

but what is the point of a Court if it has no juristiction - who would have it? That's what I don't understand......so the court are asking Dayglo to prove that they do have juristiction?!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

my conspiracy theory is this - Surly Bonds and JamesJ were the same person.

They only ever appeared together and now neither of them have been seen in ages.

lol

My charges claims:

Default removals:

btw - I did watch LOTR ROTK last night - sorry, still can't see what all the fuss is about - I could have told that story a bit quicker I think....

how about "small people try to melt a ring whilst some grown ups have some battles...."

it reminds me of a great review I read of Star Wars ep III

"insolent teenager gets new hat!"

hey ho... back to business i 'spose.

I agree...I tried reading the first one but couldn't get into it at all. which surprised me because I loved the Hobbit so much - it's absolutely fantastic - I want to read it again!!

Does anyone know why thye haven't made the Hobbit as a film yet?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Efficient indeed. You don't work for the government then...??

Hardly Number 6 - he said efficient!!! hehe

My charges claims:

Default removals:

• 4 weeks later...
oh and by the way to top off a bad day, I was robbed and beaten up today. wallet and phone nicked, car windows smashed and my file with all my CAG stuff (identity theft delight) taken. :mad:

feeling pretty down tonight.

Oh Dayglo, I am sorry to hear that. Hope you're ok now though.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

hello nevos.

Thanks for yuor 10 pence worth. (as aside, how do you assign such precise value to a post and when will i get my money? :) )

I'm afraid I disagree with you about the contract being the main issue at hand.

It's fair to say that at an earlier stage in this 'campaign' the main thrust of attack was the issue of 'consent' and without the contract in place of course 'consent' cannot be given.

Then we had the news from the Information Commissioners Office that consent isn't even needed if they can show that para 6 from schedule 2 is met "legitimate interest" etc....

so, the main issue is now the S.10(1) notice and whether or not Vodafone response was an acceptable one under section 10(4)....

anyway.... I'm sure there's a long way to go yet.... welcome aboard.

Dayglo, I'd be interested to know why you seem to think that the ICO's views on consent are binding, when you dopn't think much about their other views on the 6 ruling?! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

because despite all their other failings ;) they do actually have the ability to read and the Data Protection Act itself could not be any clearer.

so, you may only process personal data fairly and lawfully (ok) and in particularly - only 1 of the conditions described in Schedule 2 have to be met.

So, what are the conditions described in Schedule 2 I hear you ask?

(I'd have thought you would know these off by heart by now people!)

but here we go.....

Consent (paragraph 1) is only ONE of the six conditions. If any of the others are met then consent is not needed. I've been banging on about this for bloody ages now!!!!

This of course only applies to the Data Protection Act 1998. The Consumer Credit Act has different rule pertaining to 'disclosure of data' under that act in that 'Consent' is always required. That's why there was an argument with Vodafone regarding whether the contract was a regulated product under the CCA or not. In the end, they are correct in that it is not covered by the CCA.

It's not a question of why I think the Information Commissioners Office's decision is binding, it's written as clear as day in the flamin' act!

That's great, I understand why now, cheers mate! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

your second point which seems to be 'is 6 years reasonable or not'

well it goes without saying that anyone that is suffering harm as a result of six years will say it's 'not reasonable' anyone using a business risk model to maximise returns will say that it is. Like it or not, a court will take on board a view from the Information Commissioners Office regarding wether or not 6 years is a reasonable amount of time or not. The Information Commissioners Office say that they think 6 years is reasonable.

I suppose. Shame though, becasue it isn't reasonable at all and I would have thoguht that a Court would have to view the case by interpreting law, and as there is no law that states that about the 6 years they shoudl not have to rule it is reasonable - I understand why they would take the ICO's view though!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

ok then, I'll play devil's advocate for a bit....

why isn't it reasonable? what time frame would be reasonable in your view?

It's not reasonable because a default on someone's file that was entered say 3 years ago is not an accurate reflection of their credit status now - they may not have missed one payment, or anything like that in the last 2 years. Plus they may have been going through a messy divorce, bereavement, or anything else like that when iot was entered. Yet, due to the default, they are still being penalised today when they are managin their money much better. Defaults are entered willy-nilly (and often, as we have realised recently, unlawfully) yet the way defautls are treated are the same as CCJ'S!

CCJ's are differenet becasue they are entered by a Court after the consumer having a chance to put their circs to a judge.

A reasonable time could be that agreed in the contract. At the end of the day, if there isn't one agreed in the contract then it should during the contract's active "life". If anything else has been agreed then that one should take precedence.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

not a bad post there Mr. Un1boy.

Thank you.

however - you may be right in that people's circumstances do go through ups and downs but if it was your job to design a system that could predict, reasonably accuratly, the likelihood of someone paying back debt on time every month you would want as many data points as possible, you would in all likelihood 'weight' the more recent data points as more valuable than those further back in the past. You would not willingly ignore data points that showed poor payment history in the past because of life's challenges (believe me I know all about those!) of course, most of this applies to 'automated decision making' you do have the right to insist on manual decision making (like that's gonna make a difference!)

A court has to weigh up competing interests sometimes between the data controller and the data subject. I would be in favour of a sliding scale depending on the size of the 'default'

one of my defaults was for £16k - I'm properly ashamed of that and I can see an argument for that remaining for 6 years - based on a data controllers legitimate interest etc.... but my vodafone default was £300. should that stay for 6 years too?

the fact that the credit reference agency has, in the eyes of many influential bodies, become skilled in the difficult art of predicting peoples' behaviour. They are good at it and their customers pay handsomely for the information because they know it saves them more money in the long run.

No-one in that chain is going to willingly give up the fact that '6 years is industry practice etc.' without a fight, and ask yourself this.... if you were the judge and you had to set a 'standard time' for the retention of personal data by credit reference agencies, given all the competing pressures on you - I bet you any money you like, you would come up with the answer '6 years' - because it's then answer that cause the least disruption to the status quo.

I wasn't aware that they actually predict anyhting - they just keep information don't they?

Also, what you have to remember is that it if someone has a defualt on their credit file, the companies lend them at higher interest rates so it's in their interest to issue them sometimes.

I don't think to be honest that they actually would consider each entry and their dates etc, taking the most recent first - what they do is check if you have a default, if you do then they charge you more interest etc. Maybe if they check them manually they might consider the extra "fiddly" details, but automated searches won't. I've learnt this whilst applying for credit and things when they say, "well, if you've got a default then we can't lend to you!"

If they didn't get to charge more interest on borrowing then they wouldn't bother issuing them, and certiainly wouldn't fight as hard as they do when you try to get them removed!!!

• Haha 1

My charges claims:

Default removals: