• Tweets

• OK, all done as requested. Defence left blank for now. Just one small question in relation to the CPR31:14.... Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim: and it says * delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim. I'm not  sure if I ask for everything or nothing as I can't see any of the list mentioned in the POCs
    • Fund management firm Allan Gray also said giving Nationwide's members a vote on the £2.9 billion buyout would have been 'a much better path'.View the full article
    • A Swiss pressure group says some staff at Shein suppliers are still working excessive overtime.View the full article
    • Let me start by saying I feel tremendous regret, shame and remorse. I have some debt and personal life has fallen apart over the last year which has caused me to be careless. Doesn’t make it okay I know. In a positive way, i will never take anything in life for granted ever again. I want to volunteer and go back to being a good person. I need some advice/reassurance on the below so I can move on better from this experience. A few days ago I was caught at sainsburys, I paid for part of the food (about £5) and didn’t pay for the other (about £8-10) at self checkout. when I got to the exit someone in plain clothes asked to see my receipt and bag and that they worked for mitie. I told him the receipt was in the store bin (true) and he said he followed me round and knows I didn’t pay for all of it. he very sternly but calmly said he just needs my name then I can leave with the shopping. I said i am in a bad day and can’t do this and was on the verge of breaking down. So I handed him the shopping and slowly walked out. No name given (I read elsewhere this is good and makes it unlikely to develop) and I have no way knowing if police contacted. I overthink a lot and I wonder if they can track me via debit card or nectar card on the transaction. I also wonder if they saw me do it last month and have been waiting for me. I know someone who works at their head office and terrified somehow it will get back. I’m also terrified of being recognised in the street.    I don’t know what’s going to happen. I see a lot in the news today about shoplifting 
    • Hi, I’ve just spotted an Arrangement to Pay marker (TransUnion) on my Barclays Mortgage account for 1 month in March 2022. I’ve spoken to Barclays Customer Service and Complaints about this and they’ve given me some background but have closed my complaint: Direct Debit for mortgage bounced in February and I didn’t notice this at the time. Realised there were arrears in March and called customer service straight away. Offered to pay half the arrears on the call with the other half of the arrears the following month. I prob suggested or accepted this as had done that many years previously when I was a poor student with no adverse consequences. Paid in accordance with this. Barclays call notes report they informed me credit reference agencies would be notified and I indicated I understood. However, complaints team couldn’t access the call because it was too old. They advised I could request a transcript through GDPR and complain via ombudsman if still unhappy - I’ll process the GDPR request this week. Whilst it may be factual that I entered into some kind of arrangement regarding the arrears, it wasn’t clear to me that they would be treating it and reporting it as a formal payment plan along with the potential consequences of this. At no point did I agree to or request to “reducing my contractual payments” - I paid my contractual amount for March and April with 50% more on top. I guess it’s likely they did say something vague about credit reference agencies and it’s also possible that I may have agreed without fully understanding it would be different to a late payment marker. I’m not 100% sure of the impact of the AP but I believe it did tighten up balance transfer and new card offers (Lloyds group in particular) even though the rest of my report is spotless and I have many years managing multiple high balance cards. Although it may have been less comfortable, I also believe I had the means to pay the balance in full if I’d realised the impact at the time. Finally, it feels like Ive been penalised for speaking to customer services directly rather than just upping my payments to cover the arrears. Historically, I was under the impression that Barclays mortgages weren’t even reporting arrears of less than 2-3 months as late payments - although this may have changed since the last time I was in arrears. I’ve had a browse through threads about AP markers and it seems like removal is unlikely if it’s deemed factual but it may be worthwhile escalating to FOS or ICO? Will update with transcript details once I’ve raised and received a response to my request. I suppose the upside of this is that I’ll be even more cautious about negative markers in the future. Thanks, J
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NEW MBNA Case Help

adamfernadam
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there after succesfully reclaiming all my other bank charges i am left with only an MBNA Credit card to fight for. I went through all the initial letters stages with no success and so my LBA went and the 14 days i gave them expired. On the 15th day a letter arrived offering me £380 goodwill payment of a £866 claim...where do they get these figures from?! And also threatining to close my account down. As i havent used the account in ages i today rang them and closed the account down myself before they got there 1st. The letter offering me £380 just said a cheque was on its way..this is strange because i didnt sign any agreement as i did with my other banks. I had already filled onut the moneyclaim form and worked out the total interest..total new amout is £1102.

What should my next step be though...do i issue my moneyclaim? Do i issue it with the £380 offer taken off the total? Do i send them a letter saying i accept the £380 but a moneyclaim has been issued already for the rest?

Any ideas greatly appreciated as i am very confused as to what to do for the best!! Thanks in advance!

HSBC - £1550 recieved

HSBC (2) - £1050 recieved.

HSBC Credit card- MCOL filed

Barclays Current account - MCOL filed

MBNA - LBA sent, 25% offer made.

Paragon Retail Finance - Data Protection Act sent

Anybody any ideas please? thankyou in advance

HSBC - £1550 recieved

Yeah they sent me a cheque (only 25% of my claim) day after I sent my LBA, without any sort of agrrement or anything to return.

So just I cashed it and sent them another letter reminding them of only 7 days left on the LBA deadline. No repsonse so N1 claim went in Tuesday.

I don't think they know what they are doing/are panicing, or have some cunning plan.... :-)

FWIW

If its a good will payment when you write back say thanks and perhaps suggest since its goodwill you will accept it as a gift or in compensation for all the grief.

If they say its an offer of partial settlement then accept it and write back telling them you will be pursuing them for the rest.

Dont alter your claim until or unless you have cleared funds.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I rang MBNA today to remind them that my access request deadline is next Monday. The customer service manager said he wanted to settle my grievance today... even though I hadn't yet made a claim.

He told me they'd charged me 550 in late payment fees over the last 6 years (did the work 4 me) He then offered me 216 - the difference between the 20 charge then and the 12 pound charge they make now. I suspect that was where your offer came from.

I said I'd take it as part payment, check my statements and then claim the balance. He then offered me 570 to settle. I agreed provided I could check my statements first...he agreed. Have to ring him personally on Monday and he'll settle. Lets hope his numbers are right and they settle! :)

Just a point, if you settle now you have lost the opportunity to claim for interest you have paid or have lost as a result of them taking your money.

However, if you are satisfeid with their offer then go for it.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks for all your help guys! Yeah i have no problems in going to through court procedures iv done is successfully with other banks already. I was sent the letter saying a GOODWILL cheque payment was on its way 5 days ago satating it could take up to 10 days for the cheque to be recieved. However all my deadlines are up and so i really want to start my moneyclaim. Should i wait until the cheque arrives and clears and claim for the rest? Do i claim right away minus the sum they are sending me? Should i send them a letter saying thanks for the goodwill payment this is good compensation for the grief etc but have now started a claim for remaining balance?

Thanks for your continuing advice!

HSBC - £1550 recieved

Thanks Markie99,

So do you think i should hold back on the moneyclaim until i have recieved the cheque and it has cleared then claim for the total of the remaining balance? And send them a letter in the meantime stating what i am doing?

HSBC - £1550 recieved

Hi Adam,

This may not be much help...but I filed my claim last friday. The next day I got a letter offering £970. The cheque arrived today. Not sure what to do but I'll probably inform the court that a partial payment has been made and continue the claim for the balance. lthough if this is a 'goodwill' payment, it might be worth accepting it as compensation for the grief and continuing with the full claim. Anyone any ideas on this? One thing that might be helpful if you are about to make a claim, though. Use compound interest at 8% - it works out much more than simple interest and its what the banks use so they can hardly object. Best of luck.

Paul

Thanks Markie and Paul!!

My other cases against banks have been so much simpler! It seems MBNA dont know at all what they are doing!! My other claims i used simp,e interest..what is compund interest? Iv read a few threads about it but arent 100% sure what it is and how to work it out?

I think i will send them a letter saying thanks for the goodwill but i will be starting a claim for the rest of the balance and the interest ( or this compound interest if somebody explains it!) Also should i wait for the cheque to clear before starting my moneyclaim? Thanks alot for your help!!!

HSBC - £1550 recieved

FWIW

If its a good will payment then its is arguably nothing to do with the charges and therefore the claim should remain as it is for the full vaule.

However, shoud lit get to court i would advise the court that you have received it and make sure you tell them it was a goodwill gesture.

If they send you a cheque as a partial offer i believe that is different because that is in direct response to yuor claim.

EIther way tell the court and let them decide whether it affects the total value of yuor claim.

JMHO

Glenn

PS compound interest is where you calculate the interest on the original stake for the 1st step, the second and subsequent steps you take the preceeding value plus interest and use that upon which to base the value of the claim.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

sent lba to mbna 10aug mbna sent my £10 back with letter{sorry ur unhappy we r in the right fod off} next day check for£740 goodwill, late payment and overlimit total is £1639+intrest ,do i need my lba because they sent me a print out of chages made of me i would to keep the 740 maybe as part payment what do u think what would my intrest be thanks for any help

Phone them first thing on Monday - be very nice and civil and dont be surprised if they offer you the lot! including compound interest.

My advise if free and is worth exactly as much as you paid for it….

HSBC 28 Oct 2006 Personal accounts ~ Offered and accepted ~ £3514 :)

HSBC 15 Sep 2006 Business ~ Offered and accepted ~ £4980 :)

MBNA 7 Sep Offered and accepted £2290 - (my amount £1170 plus Compound Interest) using the "phone call method" :o

FREEWAY 28th Oct ~ offered and acepted £506 :)

TSB VISA MCOL £300 - court date 27th March 2007

thanks glennuk for trying to explain compund interest but still abit confused!! I only used simple interest on my other claims so hve never used it before. Any other help with it? thanks!

HSBC - £1550 recieved

OK compound....

owe £10 and then charged £0.20 interest. Next month you owe £10.20 and are now charged £0.25 interest next month you owe £10.45 + £0.30 interest. in other words you pay ineterest on the interest charge. After three months this is £10.75

MBNA seem to pay compound interest if you can speak to the Customer Adovater department - other wise it is just flat interest - which the the £10 in the example over the mon this would be £10 + £0.20 + £0.20 + £0.20 = £10.60.

Over three months compound interest seem like a small amount - over six years it will DOUBLE your claim - mine when from £1170 to £2.2K !!! simple interest was just £1440.

My advise if free and is worth exactly as much as you paid for it….

HSBC 28 Oct 2006 Personal accounts ~ Offered and accepted ~ £3514 :)

HSBC 15 Sep 2006 Business ~ Offered and accepted ~ £4980 :)

MBNA 7 Sep Offered and accepted £2290 - (my amount £1170 plus Compound Interest) using the "phone call method" :o

FREEWAY 28th Oct ~ offered and acepted £506 :)

TSB VISA MCOL £300 - court date 27th March 2007